x
Admin

How did you come up with the name of your business? 💭

Hiiii Seller Community! 

Here with another question of the week!

How did you come up with the name of your business? Is there a story behind it? Have you ever thought of changing it? 

question giphy.gif

Feel free to share your business name, how you came up with it and your logo too if you want! 💕 We look forward to reading your replies

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 264
263 REPLIES 263
Alumni

Absolutely lovely story @Jake24 - I am sure the name means the world to your daughter. 

Aaron Weiss
Former Community Lead, Square
Get help in our Support Center | Join the Beta Community
Message 43 of 264

HELLO EVERYONE. MY BUSINESS NAME IS KTAT JANITORIAL SERVICE. I CAME UP WITH THE NAME IN HONOR OF MY MOTHER AND ELDEST BROTHER WHO BOTH HAVE PASSED AWAY. KTAT STANDS FOR KAY TUCKER AND ANTWAN TUCKER.

Message 44 of 264
Beta Member

The name of my business is SUPERIOR PORTRAIT RETRATOS. My partner and I went  through a huge list of words that are both spelled and mean the same in English and Spanish. We picked SUPERIOR. The second part of my business name says what we do in English and Spanish: portrait Retratos. 

We do 3 things:

1. COVID safe event photography at schools, pre-schools, and events.

2. Brick and mortar portrait studio.

3. Restorations

SUPERIOR_LOGO_v1.4@0.1x.png

Message 45 of 264
Admin

Clever biz name - makes total sense! I love how colorful your logo is @SuperiorPortrai 😊

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 46 of 264

Sitting at my house in 2011 I fixed devices for friends and family. One Day a friend brought a severely broken phone over. I said man that is a Broke Ass Phone® The rest is history...  Well of course we had to sue our local zoning administrators and such. They would not let us put up signage. 5 Years latter we won the decision in the state 7th district court of appeals.  We have an Ohio LLC and an United States Trademark for Broke Ass Phone®. It has been a truly great experience the last 10 years. Sounds crazy huh its all true and we would never change it! www.brokeassphone.com

Message 47 of 264
Alumni

Having a unique name like this is no-doubt driving people into the store, extremely relatable. I love it. I will hope my phone does not become "broke ass" any time soon but if it does, I know who to call 😄

Aaron Weiss
Former Community Lead, Square
Get help in our Support Center | Join the Beta Community
Message 48 of 264
Admin

The name is really funny and absolutely will get the attention of potential customers. That's great that you persevered and won your case in court! 

If you ever have the time, it might be interesting to write up a post about some of what you had to do legally to get the name you wanted - it might be helpful for others who have a great name that might be too edgy for some folks.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 49 of 264

My first name starts with a P and my last name (maiden) starts with a B. When you sound out the 2 letters and because it’s just my biz, I decided on PeaBeez. 

Message 50 of 264

Jay Canes is name of my little enterprise. I handcraft canes & trail walking stiks. Jay is my youngest son's mid name,, thus Jay Canes.

Message 51 of 264
Beta Member

We are named "Temple Spire & Tower."
Mine is based off of the function of my business. As it is connected to my church, the name comes from a religious perspective. We are an apothecary and a metaphysical marketplace that also supports a religious school. 
"Temple" showcasing the connection to the church; "Spire" is the apothecary aspect, where the "Tower" is the divination and metaphysical aspect. 

Message 52 of 264
Beta Member

White Knight Roadside, LLC My last name is White and it's a roadside assistance company. I'm quite proud of how well it worked out.

Message 53 of 264
Admin

You should be @Wkroadside ! Thank you for sharing!

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 54 of 264

Yes there is a story behind the choice.  Hozho is a Navajo word.  I lived on the  edge of the reservation for many years.  The word came to me in a dream.  Below is a meaning of Hozho.

Hozho cannot be adequately translated into a single English word. It is the essence of the Navaho way of being, a sense of elemental rightness that is core to their way of living - a way of being that we could do worse than to strive for in our own lives. Hozho is a word of depth and layers, meaning at once harmony and beauty, truth and balance. To be in hozho is to be at one with and a part of your environment and the world around you in such a way that the notes of your life complement and resonate with the symphony of life all around you.

Message 55 of 264
Admin

Really beautiful word and meaning, @Supaisue. Thanks for sharing!

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 56 of 264

We wanted something that reflected all the fun we have both on the plates as well as on the tables with the games we play.  As our Game Store is a well established brand in the region "Gnome Games" we decided to gnomify the yiddish word 'nosh' meaning to snack or eat between meals into Gnosh and The Gnoshery was born.  Of course it always helps to have the url available as well.

Pat Fuge
CEO 
Gnome Games

The Gnoshery

Message 57 of 264

Hi Isabelle, 

Our business name was inspired by a drink that we had at a restaurant we like.  The name was sublime represented the sound of the look and feel of how i wanted the business to be seen.  "Neon Moon" is slightly 80's, very colorful, playful and bright. I found out later that it was the name of a famous country song by Brookes and Dunn.  Ive since become enamoured with that song.  We're thinking of having a party, serve the 'Neon Moon Drink and play the Neon Moon Song."  Our dog Chomsky will be there, center stage, as her face is the logo and she is the inspiration for us. Of course this art store is dog friendly too 🙂

Message 58 of 264
Admin

GREAT story @Neonmoonarts 🎶 

Had to google what was in a Neon Moon - looks like there are a few different variations but it sounds delicious! 🌙 Hope you have fun at your party 🎉 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 59 of 264

The Name went through many stages, Sally & Lorraine , Sarah Lorraine, The Crooked Cup, Crafts and Cups,  until I decided to keep it simple. -SCS- , Sarahs Ceramic Studio. Now everyone can say "Hay wanna go to Sarahs" : ) lol 

Message 60 of 264

Being a Disney fan, and quite the "poet,"  I saw an opportunity to make something my own.  I thought photographers look through a lens that's made of glass.  It was at that moment I remembered the Disney movie "Alice in Wonderland" was based on the novel 

"Alice through the Looking Glass," That's how it came to me.  I was able to combine my two passions, photography and Disney, into one.

Message 61 of 264

It's my name and I had different things going so that what it ended up staying

Message 62 of 264
Beta Member

I am a trend wearer although there are some trends that have stuck with me. I know with all the Covid preventions, and quarantines;  none of us have been able to go out and dress. I thought we should do it JustforFun to help brighten our days. So, that's how I came up with the name

Message 63 of 264