x
Admin

How do you develop lasting relationships with customers? ๐ŸŒฑ

Hey Seller Community! Hope everyone has had an awesome start to their week.

Today, we want to ask: How do you develop lasting relationships with customers?

giphy (3).gif

Do you have regular customers? Do you rely on a marketing program? Any advice for businesses still trying to develop these relationships?

Weโ€™re asking a new business-focused question every week to learn more about the best practices that are working for our sellerโ€™s businesses. Your answers help us learn about how youโ€™re finding success and empower other sellers that read this thread to learn from you!

I look forward to reading your replies โœจ

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

I like to ask them how their families are doing, how is work, how was that event you were shopping for last time you came. Those questions help shape lasting relationships! Have some fun with it.

Message 2 of 17

We are in the moving business and we interact with our customers with 100 % attention meaning when I am talking with my clients, I`m into the conversation not touching my phone, file or equipment. Always approachable and answer as sincerely as possible. Don`t overcharge your customer and always respectful to their time and belongings. 

Message 3 of 17
Beta Member

Hi Isabelle, I touch customer relations with consistency, sincerity and a little information about my company and products. I follow up with if you have any questions just ask. I am involved in summer events this year to get my name out there and help familiarize people with my products.

Message 4 of 17

Hi Isabelle, what type of biz are you in? Wondering about summer events...

Aggie

Message 5 of 17
Super Seller

I am in the automotive industry, offering truck bedliners, vehicle undercoating and auto accessories.  When I have my sales hat on, I take a majority of time explaining my process and products to customers, and what works and what doesn't work.  NOT simply saying that product x is not is good as product y.  I spend a great deal of time always trying to learn the new products.  

Normally my service would be a one and done type of service, but with yearly returns and auto accessories I offer, I have began to rely heavily on the marketing side offering discounts on aftermarket products that can be purchased and installed at my shop.

My advice, if you sell a certain product or service, learn as much as you can about it, and compare it to the others.  Inform your customers about it.  You will most likely make the sale based on the knowledge you have in your field alone.

Cheers

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 6 of 17
Beta Member

Be ethical and compassionate in all dealings. Be really good at what you do. The rest will take care of itself. 

Message 7 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

Have you ever talked to someone random for just a few minutes at a party or event, then run into them again 6 months later?  You say "oh i remember you, mike? or matt? (yep its matt), you were telling me your dog was sick right?...".  There's a twinkle in everyone's eye when they realize you remember them and their details, makes their heart happy and it makes them feel important.  Do your customers like that.  Care more about them than selling them something and they'll buy more because you're not imposing.  They'll come to your business twice as often.  They'll stop by to bring you christmas cookies or a card.  You're friends and family.  You have to be sincere.

Message 8 of 17

Listen to them regarding your product, what they would like to see to make it better.  Listen to their complaints & then correct them.  Listen & remember when they introduce themselves to you by name,  it is an invitation to become friends.   Pay attention when they tell you their preferences & make certain that next time you see them your price & quality are the same.  Always plant a seed that you will see them again, "see you next time."  Always, always, always appreciate your customer, thank them for their business, tell them it was good to see them again then smile sincerely & thank them again. 

Message 9 of 17

Every customer is my most important person in the world. Discount one person and no doubt it will multiply tremendously. Word of mouth is still the best advertisement.

Message 10 of 17
Super Seller

This is a great question, there is no advertising like word of mouth.  It is truly the most effective way to build a loyal following.

My business relies on regular customers that order a lot of the same things every day.  Here are my basics I train all of my employees on.

1. Always smile and always say hello to everyone, even if they are just walking by.

2.  When you are taking an order or waiting on someone, give them your full attention.

3.  Thank everyone.

4.  Relate to the customer, ask them how they are doing, learn their name and use their name when they come in. "Hey Johnathon, how are you doing today?"  Nothing is sweeter than your own name.

5.  Make the answer always "YES"..it's not what we don't have or can't do...it is what we "can" do.  If you are out of something, let the customer know what you can offer them.  Start from the positive, never end with the negative.

6.  Be willing to be that business that takes care of your customers, someone shows up at closing and wants something...be thankful and take care of them.  All of your competition will slam and lock the door in their face and justify how it isn't fair to take care of someone after closing.  We know our livelihood depends on customers and that's what we are there to do.

The other thing I do is find your own personal brand ambassadors.  Ask a customer for a favor..."Hey, I have a new dish, would you be willing to try it and let me know what you think?  no charge.  If you like it will you let someone know about it?"  People love to help you, just ask them for a favor.  If they say no, move along..but almost always they say yes.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 11 of 17
Super Seller

We train our team to treat every guest as if they are the most important person who just walked through the door.  We also get to know our guests and greet them by name upon their return.  We get to know their family and have conversations with them.  

We also make sure that we are knowledgable and helpful to all of our guests.  We offer a wide range of different types of products and services and we want our team to be comfortable answering any questions that guests may have.  We provide regular training and continuing education opportunities for our team.

We listen to our guests and utilize their feedback to improve and bring on additional products and services catered to their requests.

We make it easy for our guests to purchase from us and we focus heavily on the experience to insure that our guests have a fantastic time and cannot wait to tell their friends.  We encourage social media posting and reviews.  Our guests love to post and tag us.  We focus on the idea that the best form of advertising is the word of mouth of our guests.  

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 12 of 17
Super Seller

By making some great products and stand behind them. I have two customers in Indiana and when I go over for supplies I text them both and let them know Iโ€™m coming to town. They place orders and I show up delivery white bag with treats. Other customers going above what is asked as in a customer in CA her dog ate her package of toffee. We reshaped her a fresh box and included dog bones for the dog. We donโ€™t expect anything in return for doing the gesture, one day it will come back like a boomerang. 

Message 13 of 17
Super Seller

We sell childrenโ€™s clothing, so we ask people to post photos of their kids on our Facebook page and we call them supermodels.  We have made long lasting friendships with a lot of our customers

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 14 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

We're a bookstore so we talk a lot about books! Favorites, recommendations, what you've read vs. what you haven't yet, what's getting a lot of hype on social media, etc. But I would echo what so many people here have already said - as long as you're being genuine and keeping a conversation going (not a sales pitch) - that's key. I heard once that people don't buy STUFF - they buy trust. And if you're customers know you, they can trust you, and then they'll buy from you. Or at least that was the lesson. In all honesty, we just LOVE talking all things books so it works out!

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 15 of 17
Super Seller

Every customer is as important as the next and each one is treated with the same respect and quality service. Even if a service is expensive, a customer will remember how you treated them and know that if they do need help in whatever it is you do or provide. In turn they pass that along to others who value that from the way you conduct your business.

Message 16 of 17

We do a good percentage of custom metal art work and furniture restoration. Customer service is our number one priority and community support and involvement is number two.  After 3 years we have regular customers and a solid reputation. The only marketing that seems to give more bang for the buck is radio advertising. Our store is in a town of about 5K people and our town is struggling to survive. Custom orders are the main income in our business. Letting people know you care and you are willing to make the extra effort to meet their needs is beneficial to both parties. Engage, reply in a timely manner and be appreciative.

Message 17 of 17