x
Admin

How do you let people know you're hiring? ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Hey Seller Community! ๐Ÿ’กAs we enter the summer season, many business like to increase their staff numbers. We're wondering...

How do you let people know you're hiring? What has been the most effective way to get applicants? 

Do you advertise online? What sites or apps do you use? What works best for you? 

We look forward to reading your replies! ๐Ÿ‘€ 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller

We use Facebook, Instagram and signs in the store. While we have hired a couple people from social media, typically employee referrals and those who have seen the signs in the store have been better fits for the store, as they typically know the products and uses better. 

Message 2 of 16
Super Seller

absolutely agree- typically we take the approach of the store knows what it wants and the right people appear... when we post online a lot of our fans apply and we never want to get in a situation where we are hurting someone's feelings.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 3 of 16
Super Seller

I definitely agree with you.  When I start hiring these are the methods I will use.

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 4 of 16
Super Seller

Social media, word of mouth mainly. I did try indeed and ziprecruiter this time around. I wasn't overly impressed with either. We had a lot of people apply that didn't fit the hours we needed, or that didn't bother to show up for interviews. 

I also saw a lot of resumes missing basic information, which were immediate passes for me.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 5 of 16
Super Seller

What was some of the immediate info missing?

Jacqueline
Message 6 of 16
Super Seller

job descriptions for their past jobs, months or years they worked those jobs, and even information regarding their schooling. 

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 7 of 16
Super Seller

All that is textbook 101 for resumes.  I'm very surprised they left that out.

Jacqueline
Message 8 of 16
Beta Member

We usually get most of our interviews from sites like Indeed and social media. However, we have also found that people do not fill out basic information. Those are immediate passes for us, as well. We too have had many schedule interviews, but not show up. 

Lauren M.
Geez Louise Boutique
Message 9 of 16
Super Seller

I haven't started hiring yet, but the community has been having job fairs and the turnout has been pretty good.  I would probably do more word of mouth and social media promoting when I start.  Have a sign posted in the store and mall area as well.

Jacqueline
Message 10 of 16
Beta Member

I like the idea of using and going to job fairs. I think speaking in person with people allows the business owner to convey important information (shift, location, pay, etc.) in an easier way and allows the prospective employee to see if the job would be a good fit.  I think we'll start implementing this in our business. 

Lauren M.
Geez Louise Boutique
Message 11 of 16
Super Seller

I agree.  I want to get a feel for the person.  Meeting in person gives me the opportunity to see how they interact with people and if they'd be a good fit for my store.

Jacqueline
Message 12 of 16

I use Facebook and Google for all my business ads

Message 13 of 16
Beta Member

I have been using indeed.com and have had good results with it. It does cost a bit of $ but itโ€™s worth it as posting signs has not worked well. Social media posts have only led one person to apply. 

Message 14 of 16
Beta Member

Hello everyone, 

Right now we use a combination of sources; Indeed, Facebook, signs in the store and employee referrals. We get the most applications from Indeed and Facebook. We hire consistently from employee referrals and Indeed. I find that having a clear, concise job description on the job posting helps us find team members that are a good fit. I always include location, shift and hours so that there are no surprises for anyone. Example, an employee can only work days but our business only needs someone in the evenings. 

Lauren M.
Geez Louise Boutique
Message 15 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

We first advertise to our customer base through email. We use the Square email program. Our best hires have been our customers or people connected to them. They already know our culture, vision and mission. It works well.

Message 16 of 16