x
Admin

How do you make your business stand out from competitors? ⚡️

Hi Seller Community! Hope everyone is enjoying their week

Today we're wondering....

How do you make your business stand out from competitors? Any tips?

fight.gif

We look forward to reading your replies! 👀 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94
Super Seller

We specialize in a few select services.  I don't worry to much about competition, I keep tabs on what they bring to the table  to an extent.  Select a few services if you can, and rock the hell out of them.  Learn everything you can about that product/service. When you think you have learned everything about, google and learn some more.  The knowledge you have of the product or service you offer is just as valuable as the actual product/service itself.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 22 of 95
Beta Member

every customer gets $5 off coupon if they don't show up for more then 30 days. they also get coupons on their birthday and get loyalty points. we hit them with deals on every holiday and $10 off 30 on their first purchase on our website and app via email and text messaging. 

Square loyalty and marketing let us do that all automated.

we also started using doordash, grubhub and ubereats for liquor delivery. we are using chowly to bring all the orders directly to square and quality also gets updated automatically. this has increase our sales by another 20%.

i probably sounds like promoting for square but these features have really made us 100 time better then even the biggest store in the area. 

Message 23 of 95

We show them that we are better, its just as simple as that

Message 24 of 95
Super Seller

I’m going to second what @Minion said — we don’t worry too much about competition. In fact, we’ve always held the belief that competition can only make us better.  So we don’t focus much on what the other guy is doing.  We focus on being the best that we can be, and believe that the rest will take care of itself.  Having said that, here are a few things we do to stay relevant and in people’s minds.

1) We keep our social media, especially FB, up to date.  This year we hired a media/marketing advisor to help us as we overhauled our business model, post-pandemic.  The results were much more than worth the cost.

2) We stay on top of our reviews — Yelp, Google, etc.  We reply when needed.  We adjust when needed.  Sometimes, we even clap back when needed, especially when people are being needlessly abusive.  My husband has called more than one “reviewer” a social media troll and a keyboard coward.  LOL.  That’s probably not a good idea regularly, but it certainly causes people to take notice and usually come here just to meet “that brave man.”

3) We adjust.  We watch the market.  We track our own internal trends and business analytics.  We noticed early on that our strongest pluses had to do with the sheer variety of our product line.  On our frozen treat business side we have 72 flavors of soft serve, that can be combined into over 50,000 possible flavor blends.  Between those, products that use those and our variety of options, toppings, etc, we have over 1 billion (nope, that’s not a typo!) unique products that we can make.

4) Our tag line, our motto, is “it’s time for something different.”  We strive to keep reinventing ourselves based upon that motto.  This year, we expanded to a full line of “adult” frozen treats — boozy shakes, slushes, malts, floats, etc, using the same 50,000 plus flavor blends.  We also started a coffee operation and can make lattes, cappuccinos in those same flavor blends, including with alcohol.

5) We always try to hire neighborhood high school kids for the frozen treat side of the operation.  It results in some amazing good will, and usually results in top notch employees we’ve found.  We watched these kids grow up as customers and they work here as if they are invested in their neighborhood ice cream shop.

6) We listen to our customers.  And we often add or change products based upon their feedback.  Best example of this?  We started off with a whole milk soft serve.  It didn’t take long to notice that I was turning away a lot (and I mean a lot!) of people who were lactose intolerant.  That began a year of testing various alternatives until we found one that even soft serve snobs couldn’t differentiate from the whole milk product.  Now it is one of our biggest selling points — all of our ice cream and ice cream products (shakes, malts, etc) are lactose free.

7) We live in a mixed use neighborhood — residential and commercial.  While there is always friction between the business interests and the resident interests, those frictions are less so with us.  We consult with our neighbors before we make changes that could impact their right to quiet enjoyment of their homes.  We go out of our way to ensure that our neighbors know that our relationship with them is as important — and maybe more important — to us as our relationship with our guests.  And, most of them are guests anyway, so that helps.

In the end, we’ve learned that our business and its success lies in what we do and how we do it.  As long as we have internal integrity and are the are the best at what we do, people notice.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”

User of the following third-party apps (ask for help or a referral link):

FreshKDS — Kitchen Display System
Bookkeep — Automated Revenue Accounting
Restoke — Menu Pricing and real-time inventory
Message 25 of 95
Beta Member

BECAUSE MY BUSINESS IS unique it covers your everyday needs

Message 26 of 95
Super Seller Alumni

Think about what we offer that our competitors don’t and be really good at it. Mainly be strive for superb customer service and an amazing experience, that stimulates all the senses, in our brick and mortar shop. 

Kamala Allison
Chief "Do Good, Feel Good" Officer
In store: 1528 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
Online: www.ShopFybr.com
Message 27 of 95
Super Seller

Be the best you can everyday and provide service, real customer service, wow customer service.  Each interaction is a chance to set yourself apart from everyone else.

You can count on only one thing...for you to be the best you can be.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 28 of 95
Super Seller Alumni

Our business theme from day one, 2008, was to operate our business differently from others companies.

Our Patent Wall Art competitors are generally online only.  We, on the other hand, are online and we participate in Art, Craft, and Vintage Market events almost every weekend throughout our season and region.  Through this event activity, we have the opportunity to introduce thousands of people to our improved Patent Wall Art and how this art matches perfectly with their popular areas of interest.  I believe that the input we get from our conversations with prospects and customers is critical to our ongoing success. 

My wife and I started our current business product offering in 2016.  Here is our product offering history:

2016 - We offered a #PatentArtSingle, one improved patent art illustration with or without an 11x14" matte.  I have never seen a competitor offering a matte option unless you buy the print, matte, and a frame.

2017 - We decided to offer a unique print, a #PatentArtDuo, with two, compatible patent art illustrations in a single print with or without an optional matte.  Our company and our competitors actually make more money with the purchase of two single patent prints.

2019 - We introduced our #PatentArtCollage offering and offered a custom #MetalPatentArt alternative.  With this Collage, we incorporate up to ten patent art illustrations, with a single theme into a larger poster-size print. 

Here's a breakdown of our product popularity:

50% - #PatentArtSingle

50% - #PatentArtDuo, #PatentArtCollage,and #MetalPatentArt

We are pleased with the current results and look forward to growing our business, particularly by increasing online sales.

Thanks for listening.

Message 29 of 95

Videos are amazing! In my shop, someone makes videos of different items available. We have antiques, vintage, gifts, garden, art, etc. She propps her iPhone up on a shelf and picks up items and talks about them, gives the price, makes comments—it's very low budget style and it works great for us!. This is how we made it through the COVID lockdowns. She also posts pics to FB and IG of items available. We get a lot of. business that way. She will also message customers if something comes in she thinks they will like. It is a lot of work but it definitely sets us apart!

Message 30 of 95

We immediately focus on overcoming our greatest competitor...which is "Our Customers and Prospects Fears". We know those fears so we address them right away in the customers and prospects first contact with us. We immediately follow through in that first conversation by speaking in terms of how the customer benefits and how they receive value...future potential benefits. When we do these simple, yet most important steps, the pricing becomes a non issue and the closing becomes a non event.

Message 31 of 95

I design and manufacture my parts that are unique in my industry,  that fact sets me apart because I have no competition. 

Message 32 of 95
Beta Member

This would depend who your target market is.  Age, Location, etc....  

Message 33 of 95

I teach small businesses this exact thing. Here's a free video that I recently posted on Facebook to get you started. https://www.facebook.com/DesignedfromScratchConcepts/videos/920511118508206
There's also a free course that shows you how to stand out on my website.

https://education.designedfromscratchconcepts.com/free-new/
I hope that you find these helpful.

Message 34 of 95
Super Seller

You be you. Let your vision and passion shine in all you do for and at your business.  Use your vision and passion to build a community with your customers. Everyone wants to feel that they belong. Our community "feel" keep bring folks back. They bring new folks with them. Your "community" is continually talking to people about you. 

Rusty Sutton
The Green Monkey LLC
www.greenmonkeyraleigh.com
FB: greenmonkeyraleigh
IG: greenmonkeyraleigh
Twitter: @greenmonkeyshop
Message 35 of 95
Super Seller

Customers want to find brands on their time, in their way not through whatever 'narrow' door the brand determined was best.

We put ourselves in many places to be seen when and where a customer is looking for us rather than only being where we want them to find us. Using multiple channels, engaging in community events, creating in-person, web-stores, social selling, and native app options allow access from anyplace the customer might have started. When they get to the store, we make sure expectations are met, our training is thorough and ongoing. We create experiences whenever possible and open the door for a story to be shared after the customer leaves. We engage our staff and customers by asking how we can improve. We respond quickly and we always make it right when customer's expectations aren't met, for any reason. 

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 36 of 95

My company www.replyoffice.com has a simple idea to stand out!  

Start responding to every customer review.

75% of your competitors won't or don't!

Message 37 of 95
Super Seller

I know it sounds generic, but I really try to get my business to stand out by being authentic. Obviously, there are THOUSANDS of hairstylists that people can choose from. My goal is to create a welcoming environment to make them feel like they're coming over to a friend's house and they just happen to get their hair done at the same time. 

I offer beverages and snacks; my decor is inviting and BRANDED; the color line I use is high quality and clients notice a difference; I send custom-made, hand-written thank you notes to each guest; I send a 'Happy Birthday' note and a holiday card. 

I have been told my guest experience is unlike anything else clients have experienced and I take that into account with each decision I make in the studio. 

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 38 of 95

You are your own Competition, always work on yourself to be better then you was the day before.

Message 39 of 95
Super Seller

Customer service

Max Berkowitz | MAX’S DELI
Square Online Store
Message 40 of 95

Organization, cleanliness, proper displays for your product and plenty of light. If your product it’s not appealing to you it will not be appealing to your customers if it doesn’t stand out and shine for you it will not for your customers.Keep your things top notch ,Dusted and polished. 
Be a attentive but not pushy. Your product will speak for itself but it’s also good to tell them a little bit about it just don’t talk their ear off. Also offer some type of special so they will feel like they’re getting a deal (for example )I have A earring display And my earrings are $15 a pair but… I offer the customer $15 a pair or three pairs for $35. If the profit margin is large it’s better to go down a few dollars wanna items and sell it versus not selling that item even if you need to price your items a couple of dollars more make the customer feel like they’re getting a deal if it’s price 35 and they pick the item up For example you can say it’s price 35 but I can let you have it out the door for 32 taxes included. You’re not losing much with that you made the sell And a customer leaves happy because they feel like they got a deal.Honestly as a sterling silver vendor for many years those little deals you off of people Make the difference between a $500 day and a $1500 day coming from someone with 20 years experience in the Market!

Message 41 of 95

WE STRIVE TO PROVIDE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE POSSIBLE. WE PROMPTLY COMMUNICATE AND ARE CLEAR AND   PROUD OF OUR MESSAGING.

Message 42 of 95