x
Admin

How long did it take for your business to be profitable? 💵

Hi all! Hope you're having a lovely Wednesday

Today we're wondering...

How long did it take for your business to be profitable?

We realize this can be a sensitive topic as the journey to profitability can be challenging. If you’re comfortable sharing your experience, we’d love to hear from you ❤️ 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 117
116 REPLIES 116
Super Seller

In the repair service industry where we live, there is a lot of competition. A lot like some of the other super sellers, our focus for a while was making sure that our customers knew our work was quality, it was reliable, and we stand behind our work and are happy to correct something if we made a mistake and we won’t charge them to fix our mistake. Customer Service truly has to be number one, once our customers knew and saw how much we valued their business a large amount of word of mouth progressed and our business grew exponentially. That basically is our main form of advertising now. At first we were on the lower end of pricing while we built up, that was roughly the first two years. We have a reputation now of what we call “no callbacks ever“ and that shows. Our customers know that when we complete a repair, small or large, it is quality and it will continue to work when we leave. Our prices reflect that now and we can charge what we are worth. Our pricing now keeps us in the black 90% of the year, tax season is never fun and doesn’t help but that just the same as always. The learning curve for tax laws is always changing. Hats off to everyone for focusing on your customers needs and providing them with high quality while doing it! 

Message 106 of 117

We opened a livestock feed store in our small town. We opened in March 2020; right before Covid started shutting everything down. We had a few issues shortly after opening with getting some inventory due to the shortage. But, thankfully, our business is a necessity for people with livestock. For the first year, we did pretty good. Every profit we made went back into the store in inventory. After the first year, we started taking $100 a week just to get something for the work. My husband and I both work full time jobs, so a paycheck isn't necessary. The idea is that we build it up enough that in six years, when my husband can retire, he has something to do. And hopefully within ten years, we will be built up enough that maybe I can retire. Fingers crossed that business continues to grow and we continue to see more profit. We are currently renting our building. Our current plan is to buy a piece of land and build a new, bigger store. Of course with a bigger store, we will need more inventory. So right now, my five year plan is to have the land, bigger store, and more inventory. Ten year plan is to make enough to pay my salary that I am currently at. 

Message 107 of 117

Planning is great, but don't forget when you are the captain of the ship you must remain at the helm and weather the storms & navigate the changes you will be come across on your journey. It's tough when you are owner/ operator, but remember a ship in the harbor has no wind in its sales... 

I use the shoebox method of pulling cash: Between that and envelopes (accounts) for larger yearly expenses which can be reduced to monthly/ weekly/ daily. That's how I paid my mortgage - I reduced payments from monthly down to weekly and then increased it where it takes months to adjust between moves. After several years, I was making a $500/ week mortgage payment. It's paid in full yet I still make that payment - except now it goes into my retirement!

Buy land and build is definitely the way to go. Land Lords raise rent when they see success & growth. Don't let that erode your margin.

Best regards!

Ck

Message 108 of 117
Beta Member

It took us about 5 years to truly turn a profit. Cashflow can still be a bit hard, but slow and steady increases in sales without increasing costs has helped us remain profitable for the last 9 years. That certainly doesn't mean we are making a ton of profit, but we are consistently making more than we spend now, even with adding employees, and increasing our profit little by little every year.

Message 109 of 117

The key is found at 9 years. (time after being educated).

All else prior as in still, well,. wet behind the ears; too hungry to feed the business machine which in turn means time gone by like water under the bridge. Make sure you take time to smell the roses.

No one will tell you you can't but yourself. Crossing the bridge is yet a whole different story and is yet another long adventure - Do Not Jump Off Half Way - go to the island -- and you will never come back to punching a clock for anyone else again!

Selling is different than managing money and that is different than bringing in labor to turn the job. It's not just just turning wrenches. It's not about landing the job. it's about getting it done. Turn over; volume answers all questions.

Ck Maintenance

Schenectady, NY

Message 110 of 117

9 years. 

The key is 9 years (that would be - after - being educated).

All else prior as in still, well,. wet behind the ears; too hungry to feed the business machine which in turn means time gone by like water under the bridge. Make sure you take time to smell the roses.

No one will tell you you can't but yourself. Crossing the bridge is yet a whole different story and is yet another long adventure - Just Don't Jump Off Half Way - Go to the island and you will never come back to punching a clock for anyone else again.

Selling the job is not the same as managing the money; It's also not just only about turning a wrench. It's not bringing in labor to turn the job.,. it is about getting it done. You got to have WIT (What it Takes).

Best regards,

Ck Maintenance

Schenectady, NY

Message 111 of 117
Beta Member

Day ONE!!!   I had no intention of starting my bakery.  Was new to the area, Covid lock downs had just lifted and it was the 2 year weekend anniversary of being on the Keto diet.  I went to my first farmers market thinking it be neat to meet a few people, answer some questions regarding Keto etc. Not expecting to even make my booth fee.  Well, I made and brought a few dozen chocolate chip cookies, only cookie I made I considered decent tasting at the time...  45 minutes later I was SOLD OUT!!!  My facebook inbox filled of people wanting more and even received pre-orders.  So next Saturday, off I go again with my pre-orders same amount of chocolate chip cookies and now an equal amount of peanut butter cookies.  All gone within 90 minutes!    That was July 2020.  Fast forward to last week, I received an e-mail report from square with the year at a glance report and my little bakery has grown 483% in customer base compared to 2020 in 2021!

Message 112 of 117

We were surviving after 1 year.  But it was 10 years til we were thriving.

Message 113 of 117

Our 1st profitable month was December 2021 the 2 weeks of Christmas break, so we are waiting to see   what the summer will bring since we are a tourist based activity. We just opened an onsite location in August 2021

Sensational Sea Adventures, Kauai

Message 114 of 117

Usually it take 3 to 5 years, depend on so many factors, the most important is yourself and how much effort you put in order to make that happen, second important is finances, solid finance is a key in order to have a future profitable business along with a good and healthy administration, I wish my best to you, good luck!!

Message 115 of 117
Super Seller Alumni

We were fortunate to be profitable from month 1, seriously. But, we planned for that. Let me elaborate a little. Many people go into business thinking as long as they offer things people want, the customer flow, ie money, will take care of itself. That's not always the case. I've counseled many small business owners through the years that didn't realize how many additional expenses other than product and rent they would have to pay for, and after realizing it, didn't know how they were going to make it. First off, save money to feed the making of money. Meaning, put back enough cash while you're making it at your current job to cover your personal expenses for the first few months of getting your business up and running. For every dollar you profit, decide how much of that should go into a "tax account", a "payroll account", a "supplies account", "overhead expenses account", etc. Next, understand that there is a HUGE difference is having cash flow and actually making a profit. If you only rely on cash flow to keep you afloat, you're always going to be "borrowing" from next month's profits. Take time to figure your ACTUAL profit per item you sell. A great program we use to keep our margins in check is Price-o-matic by Lucky Break Consulting. It includes every expense you have as a business. This program really opened my eyes to how low my profits were......so I raised prices last month significantly, and guess what, I didn't lose any business or have any negative feedback for it.  I worried for a year about raising my prices based on my own rising costs because I thought it would scare people to another brand. Then I finally realized, if my costs were going up, all the other brands had to be experiencing the same thing - and they were. I shouldn't have wasted time worrying. 

Most importantly, I'd advise you to consult with a CPA before you open your business (or at anytime really) to ask them to tell you what all you need to be prepared for when you run a business. This will be a big help. And lastly, I always tell business owners, Don't let someone's budget determine what your cost will be". And as far as that goes, Don't let your competition determine your price either. Every store is not created equal. If you start your business with the perception of quality and good customer service, you'll build a reputation you'll be proud of, and you will be profitable sooner rather than later.

Good luck to you all! It's always easier to step up than to step down, so keep at it even if it seems tough - it's temporary - I promise. 

If you start a business with no money in the bank, it will take you much longer to realize a profit because you'll always be scrambling to pay for the next thing you need. Make it a goal to not borrow from the next month. If the profits at the end of the month didn't pay the expense you had for that month, find a way to cut back and make up for it the next month. The only way you'll ever be profitable is to bring in more money than you spend. 

Message 116 of 117
Super Seller

I started my business in March of 2020 and was closed for the first 11 months. Discounting that, it took me 13 months to start making money and work off my investment. I then poured that money in the construction of a new salon and it has now taken me 5 months to earn that back.

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 117 of 117