x
Admin

How many sales or promotions are too many?

Small Business Month Assets v3 - 600 x 200 c1v1.png

Howdy folks

June is around the corner which means many businesses are gearing up for the mid-year sales.

That's why this week, @DLRosenberg wants to ask:

How many sales or promotions are too many?

unnamed.pngThis week’s question is part of our Small Business Month celebration! Join this conversation and you’ll have the opportunity to earn a special achievement – a snazzy new badge for your community profile!*

*Badges will be rewarded periodically throughout May 2023. In order to earn the badge you must reply or comment on one or more Small Business Month 2023 posts between May 1 - May 31, 2023.

Have you always wondered how other business owners handle slow sales? If you have a Question of the Week you'd like to ask the Seller Community, share it with us on this thread!
Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

We don't do sales. We plan to start a monthly givaway, however. If you show your new product on Facebook or Instagram and tag us in the photo, you become eligible to receive the monthly gift. We choose our favorite photo and send a gift up to $100 in value to that person. That gets us tags all over social media. 

Travis Butterworth
Message 22 of 28
Super Seller

For me I offer a loyalty discount to people who have been with me for over a year or book more than 3 times in the last 4 weeks. I would rather lower my prices to see people get the help they need instead of being in pain. 

Ryan Anton Schaffer RMT
www.reginamassagetherapist.com
Message 23 of 28

Never too many sales, unless you are referring to putting items on sale.  As far as promotions, I just use discretion. If I have a customer purchase an medium to high range product, I reward with a coupon.  Try and get that repeat business  

Message 24 of 28

We offer a pretty hefty rewards program of 10% back using Square loyalty, people either love it or don't care about it. In addition I'll do an email blast OR text blast once every 1-2 weeks. I refuse to be like most companies that send daily email blasts and our conversion rate is decent and unsubscribe rate is low.

When it comes to promotions I know that I "should" be jacking up prices and doing flashier sales but I hate that gimmick, I'll either survive or lose by having fair margins with a small amount of room for promotions.

It's kind of ironic because JC Penneys at one point tried to lower prices and get rid of promotions and customers hated it.

Message 25 of 28
Super Seller

We don’t tend to run too many promotion, only if the diary  is looking quiet in off peak months. We do however run a loyalty scheme where clients can build up their points when spending with us then choose to redeem them on services they have not yet tried. This boosts treatments we don’t do as many of and is really popular! We also do a birthday discount for clients as well as a we miss you discount to lure them back in if they haven’t been to us for a while.

Message 26 of 28
Super Seller

Great question! 

I find that running more than one promo at checkout is very confusing for customers. Not to mention, it is a nightmare to keep track of with staff. We run one rebooking promo at checkout, then we have a student discount.

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 27 of 28
Super Seller

I love this question! I just reduced the number of promotions we have in the salon and sent an email out with our most updated list of promotions.

Student & veteran discount.

Rebooking promo.

Enough to keep track of! 

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 28 of 28