x
Admin

How much $ would it take for you to sell your business? ๐Ÿง

Hey Seller Community ๐Ÿ’ก This week we've got an interesting question for you. 

While we know many of you love business ownership, we are wondering...

How much $ would it take for you to sell your business? ๐Ÿง

We're curious to read your responses. Feel free to include why you picked the number you did! 

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66
Super Seller

It would have to be crazy high. But I don't have a number in mind. I don't know that I could sell it and potentially watch someone run what I built into the ground

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 2 of 67

I feel the same way. Your business is your is like your baby. I wouldn't start my business that I am so passionate about just to sell it away. However, if I am just a business starter for creation I might start to innovate and create and sell because I know the profit would be beneficial. Just like persons who buy a house fix it up and resell. 

Anything I start that feeds my passions is not for sale. 

Message 3 of 67
Super Seller

I wouldn't at this point ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 4 of 67
Super Seller

I think I read somewhere that a practical number for selling a business is ~3 years' worth of revenue... That's probably close to what I would sell for... As long as it's enough to live comfortably for the rest of my life, I'd be okay with it.

Message 5 of 67
Super Seller

๐Ÿ˜ฎ 3 year's worth of revenue@LocavoreStore?!

The people on Dragon's Den/Shark Tank would eat you alive for that valuation!! ๐Ÿ˜…

Lenore
LenJo Bakes in Kitchener, ON
Let's connect on Instagram!
Message 6 of 67
Super Seller

OMG when I hear your voice it reminds me of london friends. Diverse - inclusive - and warm - not like Londoners who can come across cold - WTF- and mumble - like me.  I wish Square could have been around in the 90โ€™s. I / we travelled and met like minded florists - Iโ€™d say sellers now as retail is inclusive. The UK holiday season here is Christmas - Easter. The USA knew how to create prime time. September. Apple. Oct halloween. Nov thanksgiving. December Xmas. โ€ฆ..what about a block or January sale / experience time ? 

Message 7 of 67

Lol, 3 yrs of profit or cash flow is way more reasonable/normal

Message 8 of 67
Super Seller

I have thought about this a few times, and I never could come up with a logical number.  While I have built what I feel is a very good business, it is still not finished yet to me, and the potential that it has, and where I eventually want it to be makes the difference of what the price could be.  Some Interesting information though from @LocavoreStore .  .

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 9 of 67

Darn it, you beat me too it. ๐Ÿ˜†

Message 10 of 67
Super Seller

@OldCoder wrote:

Darn it, you beat me too it. ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿป

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 11 of 67

Winter is coming again so, for gas money to get me somewhere warmer would do it. The price goes way up in the spring.

Message 12 of 67
Super Seller

Our situation is complicated by the fact that our house AND business are located on the same 10 acre property. While this greatly increases our 'buy out' price, this also makes it a very complicated for someone to actually finance. So unless someone with deep pockets comes along, we'll just keep soldiering on.

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 13 of 67

2x Revenue.

Message 14 of 67

5,000 USD today only ๐ŸŒž

Message 15 of 67
Beta Member

1.5 Million. Not worth the stress.

Message 16 of 67
Super Seller

Depends on the day!

Somedays I'm over it and would take a $1 plus get me out of the lease.  On other days $1 Billion wouldn't get me to leave.  

Selling my business isn't really part of my business plan or long-term thinking but for sure something I need to look into.  I've received two serious offers over the years but never really entertained them. 

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 17 of 67
Super Seller

I have a wooden sign nailed to a wall that people are always trying to buy.  I tell them it is not for sale, then I hear the Everything is for sale speech.  So I tell them ok, it is for sale for 2.5 million.  They say that is ridiculous for a sign.  I said I agree but wait there is more.  Not only do you get this lovely sign you also get everything you see in the store plus 1 acre of property with 1 main building and 2 storage barns with the inventory.  But Wait there is more.... I will give you 2 weeks training on how to make the candles too.  Then I hear I just want the sign, and I told you it is nailed to the building.   LOL   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 18 of 67
Super Seller

Hahaha. Epic. 

$2.5 million for a sign... 

seinfeld-kramer.gif

Message 19 of 67
Super Seller

Oh man, depends on the day. Last week, I think I would have given it away for free, haha. This week, the price would be slightly higher. ๐Ÿ˜‰ It's something we've definitely considered, but similar to what others have said, I've never been sure of an actual price. The ~3 years of revenue figure from @LocavoreStore is interesting though. We have some investors and some loans, so I'd want it to be enough to pay everyone back and then for me and my business partner to take several months off, recover, and figure out what was next.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 20 of 67
Super Seller

Given inflation I'd probably have to have at least $3 million to walk away. Sounds like a lot but my inventory is huge and I could net close to that if I were to liquidate the business completely even at fire sale prices.

Is Square going to start offering to buy our businesses? The next POS update has a small button saying sell your business, once you tap it Square reps show up to take over. 

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 21 of 67