x
Admin

If there’s anything the pandemic taught me about running my business it's.....

Hey all! Hope everyone is having a fantastic week thus far. 

Today we're wondering..

If there’s anything the pandemic taught me about running my business and what’s needed to evolve in this new world, it’s ________. 

Fill in the blank! What did the pandemic teach you about running your business? What was needed for you to evolve to this 'new world'? 

We look forward to reaching your replies! 💫

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

It has been quite difficult; however, perseverance, is key. 

Message 22 of 59
Beta Member

What I learned during the pandemic confirmed what I suspected before the pandemic hit. It's better to be small with minimal overhead than big with big overhead. We are a tiny bar with max capacity at 55 and I'll be forever grateful that we were and are able to run with 1 bartender for the entire evening shift. We also went from ordering liquor monthly to ordering it weekly for two reasons: 1)We weren't sure when or if we would be mandated to shut down again by the gov't and we didn't want a large chunk of cash tied up in inventory. 2)With shortages happening on so many beers and liquors, by ordering weekly we stood a better chance of catching items in stock by ordering weekly.  We kept robust well stock and we told our bartenders that if any of the higher end stuffs runs out we stay out of that product till we order again which was typically 1-2 days at most. 

Message 23 of 59

Although my in house sales are strong the pandemic has taught me I need that residual income from a great online store too.  Since the pandemic I have stepped up my online store photos etc. 

Message 24 of 59
Super Seller

If there’s anything the pandemic taught me about running my business and what’s needed to evolve in this new world, it’s imperative to plan and write down those plans and operating systems before you need them. 

I had a list of things I "needed" to do like writing down some opening procedures, a couple recipes, etc.  When pandemic hit, I didn't have a great plan of what I would do in a business slowdown.  What would I cut, what would I save, could have been decided before hand.  I also didn't expect to train new people to quickly reopen, or adjust staffing to get the same done with less people.  Efficiency and contingency planning are something we put off, and you really can't. 

So I learned to set a day aside at least 1 time a year to get that stuff done.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 25 of 59

Motivation and preserver.

Message 26 of 59
Super Seller

...DIVERSIFY my sales channels!!! I was primarily selling in-person at my brick & mortar store. The shut downs essentially closed my revenue channel. I strengthened my website and online presence, but it's not a strong as it should be to survive another shut down. Make sure your business has multiple means to generate revenue, whether it's in-person, online, remote sales events, wholesale channels, etc.

Message 27 of 59
Super Seller

Don’t touch, sanitise and carry on and how square implemented some incredible features in a very short space of time.

Message 28 of 59
Admin

Hi @Twiggy , nice to meet you! I'm @kellyj 's lead on the Beta Team. Do you need any more features from us? 😊 Anything we're still missing that would help you in the new era?

lindsaybee
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 29 of 59
Super Seller

Scheduled in house personal delivery in POS and ability to save scheduled tickets / orders

ability to add video to product imagery

loyalty applied to invoiced orders - if implemented. 

Functionality to link to airplay printers 

xxxx you asked xxxx 

Message 30 of 59

If there is anything that the pandemic has taught me about business, it is to Hustle! Take GREAT care of my clients, myself, and all the new clients that come my way!

Message 31 of 59
Admin

Thanks @Dakinemusubi1 ! Aloha to you 🙂 

Looks like you checked us out recently, did you find everything you needed or was Square missing something?

lindsaybee
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 32 of 59
Super Seller

Hi @isabelle ! Great question!

If there’s anything the pandemic taught me about running my business and what’s needed to evolve in this new world, it’s don't get comfortable.

I had been running business as usual for 13 years prior to the pandemic, and to say that I got into a rut would be an understatement. The pandemic forced me to stop and take a deep look at what I was doing, and I had to rethink a lot of my operations. Today, I feel my store is in a lot better of a position, and I'm looking forward to new growth in my primary location and another try at a second store!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 33 of 59
Super Seller

I like the 'don't get comfortable' but I've ended up having to do the complete reverse. 

I was constantly changing (sometimes every week!) & since the pandemic & our first UK lockdown I've had to be a lot more focused & drive a consistent business forwards. I've streamlined a lot & stopped 'branching out' into other areas. 

It's helped me grow my business, albeit more slowly than my previous business plan. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 34 of 59
Super Seller

Can't wait to meet you - #SQAURE EVENTS - NEXT ROUND TABLE X

Message 35 of 59
Super Seller

Hey Ryan - before you expand too quickly - think why the second store - would relocating be a better move? Why not offer a discount to people in that second area a discount ( one phone line - one lease - one rates in the UK - one Covid grant ) - tease your great product.   If it's where you iive in - innit  then go for it. TOP TIP -  If there are 2 mini marts on each corner the people visit the nearest.

Message 36 of 59
Super Seller

100% agree with you @Twiggy . I opened a second location in November 2019, and it didn’t survive covid. The lessons I learned from that one are invaluable for sure. As for moving locations, the thought has crossed my mind. The current property I’m leasing is up for sale, and depending on the new landlord I will be leaving the location. My hope is no—I’m pretty embedded into the community here. The second place is going to be a different coffee bar format than the first though, mostly through the lessons I learned from the last expansion. Close to what I’m doing now but different enough to not step on the first store’s toes. 

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 37 of 59
Super Seller

First Question - Are you OK ? xx

Message 38 of 59
Super Seller

Are you coping - not coping ? OK?

Message 39 of 59
Super Seller

Third - Fat fingers  -me not you - though we all love a fat finger xxx  - theres a round table..... Friday xxx It's great to share and be good to see you there x 

Message 40 of 59
Super Seller

@Twiggy Gotta love fat finger typing… 🙂

Definitely coping. I haven’t been more clear about my businesses direction since my initial business plan. 

see you at the round table! 🤘🏻

@isabelle sorry for the thread hijack! 

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 41 of 59

well my buisness didnt really meet with the pandemic sense im the only one working and its online and well mine wasnt even made yet when it hit

Message 42 of 59