x
Admin

Sales dipping: how do you stay positive? โ€Œ๐Ÿ“‰โ€Œ

Hi Seller Community. Each business experiences a sales dip sometime or another. Maybe it's seasonal, maybe it has to do with the economic climate. 

As a business owner, how do you stay positive and/or calm? What do you remind yourself? What keeps you going?

this is fine.gif

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Super Seller

What I like to do is to look at things I'm doing and drop anything that is too convoluted or confusing in the business. Then double down on being simple and clear with my services/products. 

Sometimes we like to get a little too creative as operators and sometimes we don't see its effect until years down the road. It can be difficult because you're used to doing things a certain way or you have grown your product offering because you had some feedback move you in that direction that may not have been in your business's best interest. 

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 43 of 52

I see this often.  Its so good to step outside the business and put on the coach hat to see if creativity has taken you for a ride outside your borders,  purpose and mission.  Excellent! 

Message 44 of 52
Super Seller

When my sales look soft, I try and find incremental income that we can add in different ways... we're launching a coaching/self development mentorship this month.. We took a look at trending days and see that Tuesdays are slow so we added a second one-hour live sale on Instagram. Sometimes it is just small tweaks.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 45 of 52
Super Seller

When sales are dipping some, I take that time to complete tasks that may have gone undone, rearrange the store, update my e-boutique, etc.  Remembering why I started this business helps me to stay grounded.  

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 46 of 52

Thanks For this Reminder & Sharing informative information's

Message 47 of 52
Super Seller

As we make and sell chocolate our sales tend to dip during the summer months, even more so with the hotter summers we are starting to experience.  We are always playing with different menu options, fresh mango caramels, chilled ganaches and chocolate bon bons etc, that work with the hotter weather. So once Easter is out the way we get ready for the Christmas, this keeps us focused while the hot weather is here. We stay positive by spending time developing new products from new flavour combinations, chocolate decorations etc. We have just hit autumn and we are now developing Easter Eggs for our larger wholesale customers. To keep calm we highly recommend employing at least one Scandinavian in your team, they are just such calming people to work with (we are super lucky and super calm we have two in our team). We have our down days for sure, but we have a great team, we can read each other, judge the mood and generally just eat copious amounts of chocolate and that sorts us out. What keeps us going, our customers they are just so nice...plus we are powered by chocolate. 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 48 of 52
Super Seller

I recount inventory when it is slow and chat with other business owners that are in the same industry just to make sure I am not alone. I have been doing more popups recently to get involved with the community. That helps me stay calm because it keeps me busy!

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 49 of 52
Super Seller

One thing that really helped us is reading Profit First - a positive mindset is great - but starting to put away some money when it is there helps float the ship when times are harder. Because we did that since 2020 we now have a cash reserve to replace our roof, build a new fence, and pave our parking lot - expenses that would have made us break down in tears a few years ago had they happened as 'emergent' things to do instead of things we could budget for, get quotes, and actually make decisions.

Luckily for me I can look to all of the art-making around me for a boost anytime so maybe I am spoiled for choice ๐Ÿ™‚

Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 50 of 52
Beta Member

Taking full advantage of e-mail marketing blasts, not only for sales but to introduce new artists or current favorite styles to try and generate interest in booking. Also deals when booking for two or more than one appointment at once. I try to keep morale up by taking a screen shot and sending it in the employee group chat every time a client leaves a review that mentions one of them by name. 

Message 51 of 52

Strategies Business Owners Can Use to Stay Positive During Low Sales: Keep Perspective: Remind yourself that low sales are a normal part of the business and that they don't usually last forever. Try to focus on the long-term goals of your business and the value it provides to customers. Stay Afloat: Stay in business and don't let declining sales slow you down. Consider new marketing strategies, product offerings, or ways to improve the customer experience. Connect with others: Surround yourself with supportive and positive people, such as family, friends, or co-workers. You can also join a local business group or attend networking events to connect with other business owners and gain insight into how they overcome challenges. Focus on what you can control: Don't get caught up in the things you can't control, like the economy or market trends. Instead, focus on what you can control, such as the quality of your products or services and the level of customer service you provide. Take care of yourself: It is important to maintain a positive outlook and to be in good physical and mental health. Make time for sports, hobbies, and self-care activities, such as meditation or yoga. Remember that dips in sales are a normal part of the business, and with a positive attitude, hard work, and perseverance, you will be able to overcome them

Message 52 of 52