x
Admin

What Was Your First Online Shopping Experience?

Hello Seller Community! 🌅

This week I’m curious to know what your first online shopping experience was? 

AdamB_0-1630509679388.gif

The first thing I recall buying online were some music CDs, which was a cool step up from buying them through mail-order catalogues. 💿💿💿

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Beta Member

The first thing I remember getting with a card online via parental permission was a RuneScape membership when it was still 2-D and using dial up internet to play, great times haha!

Message 2 of 14
Admin

I don't miss the days of dialup!

Adam
Message 3 of 14
Beta Member

Do you remember what type of music it was that you bought @AdamB? Music is a great essential purchase!

Message 4 of 14
Admin

Most likely Swedish death metal! 😂😂🤘🤘

Adam
Message 5 of 14

It has been a long time ago but I think the first online purchase I ever made was some farm raised sheep's wool so I could learn to spin. I had tried handspinning many years before but wool was impossible to find in our area. That purchase grew into my current business, open now 16 years.

Message 6 of 14
Admin

That's cool, @LeslieShelor! My folks also raise sheep and I've been thinking about trying to convince them to sell the wool online. I'm not sure what they do with it right now.

Adam
Message 7 of 14
Super Seller

I'm trying to remember but I'm lost, probably just something random like a bike helmet I think was one of the first online purchases I ever made!

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 8 of 14
Super Seller

this would be like late 1994 on GNN Dialup pre their acquisition by AOL.  It was a collected version of the comic book graphic novel Maus. Those were the fun days of newsgroups.

Message 9 of 14
Admin

Hi @AdamB 👋

I think the first thing I ever purchased online was a VHS fan-subbed bootleg of the two Neon Genesis Evangelion films "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion", in 1999. I had just finished watching the TV series and learned that there were two follow up films, however they were only available in Japan and had never been translated into English.

I found someone on eBay selling a bootleg copy with non-official translated English subtitles, so created an eBay account and went to the post office to purchase a paper money order to send the seller, what with it being the 90s and not being old enough to have a credit card.

I still use that same eBay account today.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 14
Super Seller

Message 11 of 14

I was so technology-averse in my early 20s (mid-90s), until my late husband told me I could buy Dr. Martens on a site called eBay. And then I was hooked. The very first online purchase I made was a pair of blue plaid with daisies canvas Dr. Martens boots. 

Message 12 of 14
Super Seller

Ebay was amazing, and even now, It's my goto before checking Amazon, as prices are usually cheaper.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 13 of 14
Super Seller

@AdamB  are you referring to the old "The first 12 Cd's cost a penny, but then we will own your soul after that mail order"  Because if so, after they released my soul, my mom then acquired it for having to pay the piper.  Oh  the good ole' days 🤣

I think my first online purchase was probably on Ebay  Ebay was booming then, and I had the riceiest 2000 Dodge Neon that never made it into the Fast and Furious films.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 14 of 14