x
Admin

What are the benefits of owning your own business? ⭐️

Hey Seller Community! We hope you all are having a fabulous week 💕

Today we're wondering...

What are the benefits of owning your own business?

What stands out to you the most? What are the benefits no one talks about? What benefit keeps you as a business owner rather than employed by someone else? 

We look forward to reading your replies! 🌟

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Super Seller

What stands out the most is that I am not beholden to others to make empowered decisions regarding everything from what kind of soap we use to our supplier relationships and how I want to maintain this business and our community here. But my favorite, that might be the ability to bend time. I can come in and leave when I like - It doesn't mean I don't put in an 80-90 hour week most weeks but I can make those hours mine and if I work until 1am and we go to our favorite diner and have a giant piece of cake to celebrate the end of the week and I also had time to get my favorite coffee or stop for a pastry then I'm here for all of those wins - big and small! If a project needs special attention without customers around I can do that because my customer facing staff has my back 🙂

Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 2 of 30
Super Seller

Yesss... I love that it's my choice

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 3 of 30
Super Seller

@isabelle I have been involved in one way or another with family type businesses. I can really say that there is truly pros and cons to both to be an employee or be your own boss. In the end you really are the person guiding the future you want, your also the limiter of your own success. The benefits should always be what you value in your life and always be within reason with the type of business you are running. 

Ryan Anton Schaffer RMT
www.reginamassagetherapist.com
Message 4 of 30
Super Seller

I definitely agree

Jacqueline
Message 5 of 30
Super Seller

nail on the head @ReginaRMT what you put in is often the largest contributor to what you take out. 

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 6 of 30

"The benefits should always be what you value in your life and always be within reason with the type of business you are running." Exactly! 

Message 7 of 30
Super Seller

To me the benefits are the freedom to spend time with my family and the endless limitations to my success.  I don't have to ask anyone if it's ok to take a vacation or if I can go on a field trip with my 2nd grader.  I also hated how my associates were treated when I was a manager of a big box company.  My experiences there made me want to create a positive and uplifting environment for my employees and customers.  The tax write offs are not bad either.....

Jacqueline
Message 8 of 30
Super Seller

I agree with all of this. Even though I had over 5 weeks of vacation at my big box retailer, I was always made to feel terrible or that I was taking it during an inopportune time (anytime). Now if I want a day off here or there or 2 weeks in our slowest time and the store is more than covered, I don't have to feel bad. I just know that I am doing what is ok for me and my business and the community by providing jobs and keeping my mental state right! 

And yes to the tax benefits...

Abby
Owner, Abigail's Gift Boutique and Abigail's Boutique St. Louis, MO
https://www.facebook.com/abigailsgiftboutique
https://www.instagram.com/abigails_stl/
Message 9 of 30
Super Seller

My dad always said- when you work for yourself you are betting on yourself....  I guess I'd rather have m future in my hands instead of someone else's. 

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 10 of 30

All I can really say about this subject is when you own your own business you become your own boss & in control of hours & enjoying what you do for starters. If you don't love what you started doing, then chances of success are very small. I love what I do without a doubt from start to finish. There will always be the moments where you start to wish certain things turn out better than what they have. Part of my reasoning for creating my own business is because of my health. Plus, I have been already volunteering for multiple years helping people find & get back into the work force from having misdemeanors & felonies. When they said teamwork makes a dream work, they were definitely right about that. Also having a great support team helps out ANY business owner on ANY level. This is freaking AWESOME & new type of level.

JASON SMITH 

FOUNDER / OWNER

tangrush2022@gmail.com

https://tangrush.square.site/

Just know EVERYONES process & progress level are different & ALL have to start somewhere

Message 11 of 30
Super Seller

I've worked in agriculture, higher education, and the corporate world and the single greatest benefit I've gotten from owning and running my own business has been agency. I choose what we sell and who we buy from, the events we run, and the ways in which we support our staff and our patrons. Running a business can be scary and stressful, but we've been building and maintaining a strong, inclusive local gaming community for nearly 15 years and that's something that I can look back on and be proud of.

Mindi Rogers Green [she/they]
Managing Partner

Jupiter Games - Friendly Local Game Store & Event Center
A place for all who ❤️ games, specializing in board & card games, roleplaying books & miniatures, tabletop wargaming models, paints & hobby tools, dice, and more!

https://JupiterGames.Shop
Message 12 of 30
Super Seller Alumni

Not having to have my future in anyone elses hands but my own. There's no one that can fire me or demote me except me. I can set my own hours within reason and I can choose to treat my employees with respect and value and chose my own community causes to support.

I feel like i am making more of a difference owning a small business that I ever did working as an engineer.

Jessica
Owner/Founder
We'reDough Bakery and Cookie Dough Cafe
Flint, MI
Message 13 of 30
Super Seller

My business started as a hobby. I'm still employed by someone else (although that's just a personal choice). What I truly love about owning my own business is the feeling that I have more control over my life. If I didn't love my job; I could leave it. The extra income really gives me room to breathe and not stress about finances. It's a very freeing feeling! 

Sammy Grace

Please Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 30
Super Seller

I think for us it’s the creative freedom we have in the business as well as being able to make the business how you see fit. When you work for someone else you may have ideas of what could be changed or things you disagree with or would do different, but when you own a business you have the control of making it how you want! For us we also have the creative freedom in coming up with recipes for different drinks we make. It’s also super fun to be able to meet other business owners and build relationships with them when you bring their pastries into the shop or their candles or jewelry into the marketplace. The community aspect is amazing. I think another big thing is that it’s so rewarding when your customers become like your family because you’ve created a space where people feel welcome. 
we just celebrated 2 years being open on Friday (yes we opened in the middle of the pandemic!) and to know that you crates someplace special for people, some place where they feel welcome, where they feel safe, where they feel comfortable to bring their kids, that feeling of knowing you did that, and people are proud of it, THAT is a special feeling. The Legacy you leave behind. 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 15 of 30
Super Seller

Great words, I love that the majority of items you mention were focused on others. The most sustainable and rewarding path to success that I've found is through relationships and building value for others. 

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 16 of 30
Super Seller

So true. 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 17 of 30

Hi Olive, 

I enjoy seeing the beautiful Jewelry on the ladies and gentlemen. Every time I get new jewelry delivered it's like Christmas. Then I get to go live and show all my friends, family and customer's. When my customers get there bling, they just love it and can't believe it's only $5.00. 

Thank You,

3 Gemz Bling

Message 18 of 30

The one major benefit of owning my own business means I get to continue to be a stay at home mom. I get to continue to support my special needs child journey to adulthood. It allow me the flexibility to not have to ask for time away to take him to therapies, or ask someone to pick up my neurotypical kids from the school bus at the end of the day and miss the bonus hi mom hugs. Owning my own business allows me to be creative and bring it to market using my card reader, create a professional appearance while being able to confidently say Yes i accept credit cards. Now it is up to me to learn all there is to learn to grow my business to what i want it to be. Thanks Square. 

Keesau S.
Keys Sewing
www.keyssewing.com
Message 19 of 30
Super Seller

You are the boss. If someone’s questioning your business practices or has issue you know that the outcome is down to you.  You can choose your work hours/ holiday. If you wanna wear high heels 👠 and a crop top 🎽you can and if a customer is wrong -  you can say they are wrong - without fear of management saying you were wrong. 

Message 20 of 30

When I conceived of my business, I had recently fought through a few years trying to be a public school teacher. I had defined myself by teaching for several years before that, and when I was laid off and laid off again, I just didn't have it in me anymore to hash through what was left of the story about me that was supposed to lead to the conclusion that teaching was my ultimate destiny. I loved the students, and I was good at many aspects of what I did, but the nonstop work with little or no support was slowly killing me. At that time, my daughter was still school age and I dreamed of a solution that would make me more in control of my own life and income, and more involved with her.

After I had been fully invested with my business for a year or more I realized that one of the very best things I had gained from it, was the ability to reframe the story of who I am. I had traded a litany of (what I perceived to be) failures and excuses, for the version of myself that is an artist with a vision. I like who I am and what I do, and the people I serve respect my work. That's my benefit.

Donna Jo Wallace
Naturally Nickel-Free Artisan Jewelry
www.naturallynickelfree.com
Message 21 of 30