x
Admin

What are you most concerned and excited about heading into the festive season? ย โ€Œ๐Ÿ‘ปโ€Œย โ€Œ๐Ÿ‚โ€Œย โ€Œ๐ŸŽโ€Œ

As the days begin to get shorter in the Northern hemisphere, and the temps warm in the Southern hemisphere, we are all reminded that the holiday season is just around the corner. 

So this week, we want to know...

How are you feeling heading into the festive season?

What are you most concerned about? What are you most excited about?

We are eager to read your replies!

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Seller Community Marketing Manager
Square Seller Community
Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
Super Seller

We're getting fairly busy and hectic and just hoping covid/inflation doesn't affect consumer spending this Holiday season. Last year we had a record Halloween/Holiday season, this year hopefully we can match or beat those numbers. Hiring and inventory are the two most difficult issues to deal with this year as costs for both are increasing significantly.

I'm excited because we're getting a huge amount of Squishable Plush animals to create a new section of the store and I have Hocus Pocus Halloween Tumblers (and other varieties) coming next week.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 2 of 57
Super Seller

This is the first year we are going into the holidays with the Square Loyalty rewards program. We are interested to see how receptive people are to the rewards program and how it affects sales. So far regulars love it, so we are optimistic it will increase overall sales. 

As @PartyManiaMD mentioned, a lot of people are concerned about inflation. I think the Fed announcement today should keep inflation in check, and the holidays will hopefully be good for sellers. 

Beyond that, I am just excited to spend some time off with the family. 

Message 3 of 57
Admin

Definitely let us know how the loyalty program impacts things this season! Its also great to hear that you do take some time off to spend with the fam ๐Ÿ˜Š

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Square Seller Community
Message 4 of 57

We've been using Sq Loyalty since 2014, and our customers love it.  It adds value to their experience and keeps them coming back.  This season should be very big, considering the past two Christmas seasons.  People want to be out and about and are tired sitting in front of their screen ordering Amazon items.   Honestly, we're most concerned about possible California legislation that could bring the Min Wage up to $22/hour!

Message 5 of 57
Super Seller

Hey Penny! Great question!

Concerned with the economy- we've been in a dog fight to keep our numbers same as LY- it's really hard. So I am hoping there is no major dip year over year.

We love Halloween- we actually decorate our store really crazy (we're a metaphysical shop) so we are actually going to install a giant medusa coming out our building ๐Ÿ™‚

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 6 of 57
Admin

@DLRosenberg Ya economic impact is a huge concern across markets. Really hoping that businesses everywhere can whether the holidays and come out as forecasted (or better!) 

And ok we HAVE to get a picture of this installation when it's done! DO you have any pictures from other years?  

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Square Seller Community
Message 7 of 57
Super Seller

Oooh great question! I have a smaller kitchen crew this year compared to last, and none of them we're really there for it. I want to do a Thanksgiving preview/launch day where we have some pies and other Thanksgiving treats for sale and pre-order. That way we can time ourselves and figure out logistics and then sell a bunch of goodies! Last year we talked about being available for pre-order only or coffee during the couple days before Thanksgiving. I think we may end up doing that so I can focus all of our labor on production. 

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 8 of 57
Super Seller

Oooh, I love the idea of a Thanksgiving preview/launch day! How fun! I've never thought of that before!

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 9 of 57
Admin

Sounds like you have a good plan (pre-orders only prior to thanksgiving). I'm sure you and your staff will be thankful for it. It's NEVER fun working in a stressful and chaotic environment that could have been reduced/avoided. Sounds like this would do that! 

Its thanksgiving in Canada on October 10th and I'm on pumpkin pie duty. Wish you were in reach @sugarlab ๐ŸŽƒ

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Square Seller Community
Message 10 of 57
Super Seller

*turns up Christmas music. un-pauses The Santa Clause. Sips hot cocoa, the room aglow from the fireplace.*

ahem 

I am so glad you asked!! For us we begin to get busier in the morning, It's colder and people want a warm drink before work or school so the days begin to go by really fast. I love when we decorate and people really look forward to our different seasonal drink menus! From this point on through the end of the year we pretty much kick it into high gear and go go go! I love mornings at the shop when it's cool outside because you can see the steam come out of someones cup and for some reason all the cozy smells are more aromatic!  It's just magical. 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 11 of 57
Admin

HAHAHA the scene you painted for us readers was phenomenal @Lovewell I can feel the cozy magic

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Square Seller Community
Message 12 of 57

We are excited for this festive season ahead. It will be our first in our small community that is usually hopping with tourists in the summer months. I'm excited to focus on locals as tourist season starts to fade and help them with all their holiday needs and shopping. I am offering gift wrapping coffee and tea etc. What are some ideas from some seasoned pros on what to offer in your retail location during the holiday season? I am concerned being a new business on the island and not having enough traffic to keep us rolling. Thank you in advance and we are happy to be a part of the Square Seller Community 

Kaleena M

๐Ÿ˜

Message 13 of 57
Admin

Thats a really good question @esgorcasisland - Although I can speak from a store owner perspective, I can speak as a consumer who lived in a tourist town all season for a few years. I always enjoyed event types nights hosted at stores. For example, some of our local shops would do a yoga night or have a speaker come in. Obviously it varies based on what your locals are into, but I think partnering with other local business and running an event might be interesting. 

Or you know, just get a speaker and blast some Holiday music! That is always fun ๐Ÿ™‚ Actually that made me think.... what about a holiday photo booth? If you celebrate Christmas, you could have a "picture with santa" station 

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Square Seller Community
Message 14 of 57

Penny, thank you for the reply and I love the ideas. We have our first speaker lined up and she is a free diver. We are very excited to host and event to kick off the holidays.  I also love the photo booth idea! 

Message 15 of 57
Super Seller

@Lovewell -- your holiday spirit is giving me life over here! I love it!

I feel similarly -- this is my favorite time of year to own a cafe, and also one of the most stressful, haha! I love the holiday energy, decorating the cafe, sipping on festive drinks, the late nights/early mornings with music pumping as we crank out holiday orders, the hustle and bustle of it all... it's the best.

I'm feeling more confident than ever heading into this holiday season. Our main leaders have been through several holidays with us now, and we're further ahead on planning than we've ever been (finalizing Thanksgiving decisions in September, what?!). BUT, I'm pretty concerned about having the rest of the team to pull it all off. We're still struggling to hire and train a team that can handle the daily/holiday volume, while consistently providing the exceptional experience we're known for.

Still, it will all get done, and we'll have as much fun as possible while doing it!

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Message 16 of 57
Super Seller

@mksavage Okay, those donut pictures on your website and instagram, Do you make those!?!?! They look amazing!!

We love decorating for all our holidays and theme days! Currently working on Halloween decorations and we go big for fall and big for christmas! Totally understand your concern on having your staff trained and ready to roll. Let those leaders you have really take charge on getting people trained. We have a couple new team members being trained right now and before it gets extra crazy with the holiday we get them as much hands on experience training even during busier rushes so they are ready for the holiday season. We also have a sign at our register that lets people know we are training some more amazing team members to serve them well. And our customers really love that!!

Keep pushing! This will be your greatest year yet!

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 17 of 57
Super Seller

Hey @Lovewell ! You made my day! Yes, we make the donuts in-house, fresh every morning! It's one of the main things we're known for -- we've been making them since we were a home bakery (with a commercial fryer perched precariously in our apartment kitchen ๐Ÿ˜ฌ).

Also, your comment inspired me to check out your shop and oh my goodness! We need to do a cafe-swap visit! I absolutely love the aesthetic of your cafe (and website!), and the vibe is just so delightful and joyful. What a ray of sunshine! The reviews on your site speak to that too -- looks like you've created something really incredible. One of these days I'll make it out to California!

And lastly -- I love the idea of having a sign letting people know that we're training. I'm definitely going to implement that over the next few weeks. People are so much more gracious when they know someone is learning.

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Message 18 of 57
Super Seller

@mksavage Thank you so much! Do you package and send donuts out? Somehow I need to get one. Maybe that means I'll just have to come to Texas sooner rather than later!

We had to create and inviting space because we opened in the middle of covid when people were just scared and depressed and needing some sense of community. When we first opened we had a few young moms with babies that would come grab a coffee everyday and we were like their only other human interaction during the thick of it. We also opened in a building that was a coffee shop previously with a not so great reputation so making the place brighter and friendlier was one of our big must do goals.

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 19 of 57
Super Seller

I love this, @Lovewell ! It is so clear from your online presence and the energy of your team that building community and welcoming people is such a high value for you. I have felt so grateful to get to be part of creating that in our neighborhood during some pretty difficult years too -- people need a place to go to feel "normal," and to find some levity, delight, and care. Super excited to follow you guys on Instagram now -- so inspiring!

And unfortunately, we don't mail donuts -- they wouldn't be nearly as delicious after the journey. But, we do send cookies! Feel free to DM me your address and I'd love to send you some!

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Message 20 of 57
Super Seller

@mksavage You are speaking my language! My sisters call me the cookie monster! I may take you up on that!

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 21 of 57