x
Admin

What business challenges do you face that are unique to your industry? ๐Ÿ’ญ

Helllllloooo! How is it already August??

Today we're wondering...

What business challenges do you face that are unique to your industry? 

Veryyy interested in reading your replies ๐Ÿค“

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68
Beta Member

I would charge those cars... extra $$$$

Orlando Perrone
Owner
Perrone Technologies: The Computer Shop
www.perronetech.net
Message 22 of 69

Covid cancelled my studio classes and in house pottery sales. and prior to Covid our local village board decided to limit businesses from residential neighborhoods. Another story being worked out as I wait.

Anyway trying to advertise classes and post my pottery work on line..

thanks for asking.

Message 23 of 69
Super Seller

We are also a pottery and art studio.  Where are you located?  It sure has been tough this past year.  Happy to collaborate with you if you like.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 24 of 69

Deposit tracking software. We are a tattoo studio, and we have been trying to find a better way to track when we take a deposit and when the deposit is used.

Message 25 of 69
Super Seller

I believe Square letโ€™s you create an Invoice then letโ€™s you accept a deposit or partial payment against the invoice. Might just be a feature in Square for Retail Plus but pretty sure I saw an announcement a while back. That would give you the ability to track deposit and balance owed directly in Square 

Message 26 of 69
Super Seller

We also take deposits for our parties.  We think we have a pretty decent system utilizing square gift cards.  When customer books, the deposit is placed on a special gift card.  When their service is rendered, deposit gift card applies to total and then remaining balance collected 

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 27 of 69

The inability to gain access to equitable capital when you most need it. I am a disabled veteran business owner, I was promised help for the pandemic but it never came. I have applied for everything that I could think off yet I got nothing. Or no where.

Message 28 of 69
Super Seller Alumni

Have you worked with your local SBDC? Where I am in Upstate NY our office is right down the road and they have a great staff ready to help (for free.) Sometimes they have a way of fast tracking applications for loans and grants (depending on your specific situation.) It may be worth making an appointment to talk with them: https://americassbdc.org/find-your-sbdc/

Craft Beer Pub & Pizza Spot
Village of Manlius, NY

http://awwander.com
IG: @awwander
FB: @awwandermanlius
Message 29 of 69
Super Seller

People think theyโ€™re owed affordability. 

Itโ€™s quite common for people to scoff when service providers raise their prices, yet when other โ€œsuperfluousโ€ service providers raise their rates, consumers donโ€™t bat an eye. 

I donโ€™t think this is entirely unique to the beauty industry, but I think it is incredibly common. 

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 30 of 69
Admin

I've heard of this before in the beauty industry. It's a shame. 

Thanks for sharing @JessPoynter ๐Ÿ’•

Message 31 of 69
Super Seller Alumni

I think it's just a reality at this point that prices for everything have gone up. If a consumer doesn't see this, they are probably intentionally ignoring it. 

Personally, I get a hair cut every 3 months -- usually $29, this last week it was $49. I didn't question it at all. My stylist is awesome and so worth it, and I'd rather pay a few bucks more to make sure she's still in business next year! (And at the end of the year that's only $80 more to make sure I don't look like Sasquatch... Seems like a no-brainer.)

Craft Beer Pub & Pizza Spot
Village of Manlius, NY

http://awwander.com
IG: @awwander
FB: @awwandermanlius
Message 32 of 69
Super Seller

I truly wish more people felt the same as you. 

Your stylist probably wouldn't say it, but I will: THANK YOU for not batting an eye.

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 33 of 69
Admin

+ tip! ๐Ÿ’•

Message 34 of 69

Our cabins are seasonal, so it is very hard trying to survive and think of promotions to get the fishermen in here in July, August and Dec., Jan.

Message 35 of 69

I would like a way to track customer orders, I am a florist and it would be wonderful if within our system we were able to track who someone sent flowers to for what occasion and then were able to send them reminders to order from us again. There are many "floral Programs" out there but I have been using square so to switch to a different POS is tough to think about doing..

Message 36 of 69
Beta Member

That would be great! I think square is missing that in their order/invoice suite. To be able to add the customer who purchased (which exists) but to also add who they're purchasing for as a separate object so we can remind them to purchase flowers at a later date, or for other reasons.

Message 37 of 69
Beta Member

The marketing campaign in square can engage past customers, however you have to be diligent recording customer details. 

Message 38 of 69
Beta Member

We are a florist, and I know food industry works with the same thing, but dealing with how quickly flowers "spoil" (are too open to be used) is something that is very difficult for us. This, coupled with rising prices at the wholesaler, really makes it difficult. Something I think is pretty unique to floral are the Wire Services. Wire Services (Teleflora and FTD, among others) collect orders on a national level (through their website or other avenues) and distribute them to florists in the area where the orders are to be delivered. They also allow Florists to send orders directly to each other. The problem with wire services is you have huge companies like From You Flowers, Avas Flowers, and others who are online only, and only send orders. They don't actually care about how much an order should cost, they just want to discount as much as possible to get the most customers. This is because of the way the Wire Services collect their cut of each order. The company who sends the order gets 20% and pays no fees. The company making and delivering the order gets 80%, then minus 10% in one fee, and $7.5 in another fee. This is only exacerbated by the fact the big companies under price their arrangements to get the customers in, but just pass those discounts to the end florist whos profit margin has already shrunk.

We are also a plant store, and because we're newer (December 2020) and don't want huge amounts of plants at this point, most wholesalers don't want to work with us (to maintain stock for their current customers or because shipping costs too much).

Even with these challenges we're still doing really well, and have grown much more than we expected. We've gotten to the point where we are receiving more orders than we can handle most times and it's a great problem to have. But staffing also isn't easy because we are a family business and it's hard to relinquish some of the control we have by hiring new people. It's not easy when you care so much about each customer and each order (even if it didn't originate with us) and you're not sure if someone else would feel the same. Not to mention, Florists are not a dime a dozen. They're expensive and it's very difficult to find one who's as good as our current.

We'll keep working harder and more efficiently to be a better business in general, and are super excited for what the future holds for us. Thanks for asking, and it feels good to put it all out there, even if most people won't care.

Message 39 of 69
Super Seller

Thanks for your post. I had heard how difficult it is to work with these national foral companies. I have always wanted to introduce live flowers in my gift shop, but having perishable inventory takes everything to a new level. I appreciate the struggles you're facing with that. I have also tried to contact wholesalers, but you are right in that they don't want to work with smaller accounts. I do stock some live houseplants, but only a few and what I sell I propagate myself with makeshift plant lights and greenhouse domes in my art studio. I keep hoping that demand will increase and I'll be able to expand more with plants (and then flowers) but that seems like a plan many years away. Good luck to you and I hope your business continues to grow!

Message 40 of 69

I travel outside the United States and STILL cannot run my CARD sales on square. Seriously thinking of switching to a card processing that I can run my cards while outside of the USA.

Message 41 of 69
Beta Member

As a computer repair business, my biggest challenge is trying to explain the value of my services to people. Electronics are usually just known to be thrown away when deemed no good. I get people all the time coming in asking me if their 3-year-old laptop is worth fixing. "Of course it is", the laptop usually just needs something like an SSD upgrade or a tune-up, which when I tell them the price they usually have to mull it over for a minute or two. I get quite a few customers who would rather just go buy a new laptop or desktop. I'm not cheap, but the repair is still less than a new machine and with my touches, it will be as fast as if not faster than a new one, plus you won't have to go through the song and dance of setting up a new machine.

Orlando Perrone
Owner
Perrone Technologies: The Computer Shop
www.perronetech.net
Message 42 of 69