x
Admin

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Hey Sellers of all ages!

Let's break it down old school this week.

giphy

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Did you achieve that?
Did you always imagine running your own business?
Did you think you'd be doing this business?

For me, I never really had anything concrete in mind growing up. I remember in 5th grade we were asked to put something down to be published in our Elementary School Yearbook, and mine was tech related. So definitely not the ice cream store I ran for 18 years, but working at Square is definitely pretty close!

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Admin

Baking/cooking/chocolatiering counts as chemistry... right @phillipsrw ?! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 22 of 48
Super Seller

A whole load of science and technique in all, although my basic cooking skills leave a lot to be desired. I think being an astronaut @rtfulk might have suited me,  all those stars  adventure and dehydrated astronaut food. Yum!

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 23 of 48
Super Seller

I wanted to be an astronaut, never made it but I still look at the stars through my telescope. We also live in Florida so I try to watch every launch we have. I ended up owning a children's clothing business, a long way from being an astronaut, but I enjoy it.

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 24 of 48
Super Seller Alumni

Hard-hitting investigative journalist/radio producer. The closest I got was an NPR internship and overnight assistant producer shifts out of their West Coast HQ. 

Now I get my burnout the old-fashioned way: running a small business. 🙂

Message 25 of 48
Super Seller

Woah! An NPR intern & assistant producer is impressive! How cool! 

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 26 of 48

A developer 

Message 27 of 48

i wanted to be a teacher from kindergarten until my first semester of college.   During my first semester I worked at a day care.... NEWSFLASH - I hate kids.  Changed my major to the elective I enjoyed most that semester which was Marketing.  Then after a year in Marketing zero'd in on Fashion Merchandising, after that, I needed a shop.  

it's been 22 years since my first semester of college, and I still hate kids.  Retail will do that to you.  

Message 28 of 48

I wanted to be a school bus driver or a grocery store clerk 🤣

Message 29 of 48

Haha I wanted to be a forensic pathologist; became a nurse for 20+ years; now own a campground!

Message 30 of 48
Super Seller

@Pesso  I always wanted to run my own business. I very much so would love a general store in a small town(close to a major city)that sells generally everything, including a top notch cafe and bakery. 

Ryan Anton Schaffer RMT
www.reginamassagetherapist.com
Message 31 of 48
Super Seller

@Pesso From age 6 I wanted to sell, which is what I have been doing my whole life.  Vinyl, CDs, Beer, Wine, Cheese, Charcuterie, etc.

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 32 of 48

Didn't think I would end up on square lol

Message 33 of 48

When I was little I wanted to be a Doctor, Lawyer, Private investigator, Actress, and  or a Songwriter. 😊 

Message 34 of 48
Super Seller Alumni

I wanted to be a veterinarian, but when I grew up and realized how much science I'd have to take I changed my mind. I'm more of a creative person than a science and text book person. 🙂

Kamala Allison
Chief "Do Good, Feel Good" Officer
In store: 1528 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
Online: www.ShopFybr.com
Message 35 of 48
Admin

I wanted to be a nurse, but same thing, too much science/biology. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 36 of 48

I always wanted to be an attorney.  But, life got in the way and I eventually settled for a Bachelor’s in Paralegal Studies.  
I am now retired. 

Message 37 of 48

I feel like there were several answers to this question, but none of them involved my current profession. 😄

According to my parents, I wanted to be a dancer first. Then, I wanted to be a doctor. Then...a dancing doctor (I don't have an explanation for this one). I wanted to be an attorney for a long time, and my interests shifted to engineering in my high school years. Surprisingly, this is what I stuck with for the longest.

It was not until I was in engineering school in college that I realized my true passion. I became a math tutor to make some extra money, as college student = poor. This not only filled my wallet, but it also filled my heart. It brought me great joy to see others become passionate about the subject and adapt this can-do attitude towards academics. I was in a state of denial about it at first, but I literally don't see myself doing anything else. Becoming a math tutor was/is my true calling.

Message 38 of 48

I wanted to be many things... actor, baker, business owner.  I wanted desperately to learn how to sew since my mom sewed most of what I wore when I was little. Occasionally I do voices and entertain bikers with my standup comedy or sitdown comedy, which involves me doing several voices.  I passed on the opportunity to tryout for a role as a zombie in The Walking Dead.  I didn't like the idea of working in the extreme temps of Florida and Georgia and possibly getting eaten alive, like the Russians in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, by fire ants. I do still bake... A LOT.  And I'm a seamstress with a business.

Message 39 of 48

I wanted to be Jim Carey lol (I am a female 33 year old now, it didn't happen)

Message 40 of 48

I wanted to be a spy agent as a kid because I wanted to be like Michael 

from Burn Notice. I wanted to blow up microwaves and shoot guns in other people's houses but I was a young girl.  

Message 41 of 48
Beta Member

I wanted to be a Doctor… I took a nursing program in HS and soon realized I could not handle the environment. I’m not sure at what point I wanted to have my own business but it feels like what I’m supposed to do. After my short time in college, I knew I wanted to work in the beauty industry. I created plans with friends and ever since I’ve been on a journey to accomplish those dreams. I now have my own beauty suite and am working towards bigger dreams.

Message 42 of 48