x
Admin

What do you enjoy about being a business owner vs. employed by a business? 🤔

HAPPPPY WEDNESDAY Seller Community! 💕

Today I'm wondering...

What do you enjoy about being a business owner vs. employed by a business? 🤔

business.gif

What do you see as the advantages? If you are employed by a business owner, you can discuss what you see as the advantages. 

I can't wait to read your replies!

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66
Super Seller

My dad (also a business owner) once said- when you work for yourself, you are betting on yourself... and I always have more trust in myself than working for someone else and hoping they recognize my hard work, etc.  I'll always bet on ME.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 43 of 67

I'm a manufacturer so I deal in wholesale but I also deal in retail. I make my own hours while still having some hours or deadlines dictated to me. 

Message 44 of 67

The autonomy on so many levels - not being micromanaged, being responsible and accountable for the successes and failures of the company, getting work done on my timeline, being responsible for the entire supply chain and being held accountable when most aspects other than any outsourced parts go awry, being customer-facing and receiving feedback real-time, being confident enough in my skills to know I CAN DO THIS and humble enough to defer to others when a certain area is not a core competency without being marked down for every little thing since I can't be expected to know everything, having the wisdom to know that every day is a new day and yesterday's mistakes are a learning moment and are not meant to be repeated.

Message 45 of 67

My favorite part about being self employed is the freedom to come and go as much or as little as I need. Usually the reason I had to use my leave in my past employment as an employee was for medical reasons for myself and children (doctor appointments). That being said, because I am self-employed and working at "the house", others regularly try to take advantage of my time to have me babysit their children, run errands for them, or anything else they can dream up for me to leave work or give up for the day because I am chasing tiny tots all day. Somedays it is great and other days, I feel ripped apart on the inside. 

Message 46 of 67
Beta Member

Keep in mind that just because you're a business owner and enjoy it, doesn't mean you're a good boss.

I've had great times on either side. Had a good stretch of fun times working at a friend's business. Now I run my own shop with another, and really hope we make our staff feel the same way.

Message 47 of 67

i believe the first step is the most important -- you actually WANT that and put that on your list of goals, so there's a high possibility you'll manifest that kind of relationship with your staff, cause it's already in your mind during the interview and it's a desired result you WANT to see. 

Message 48 of 67
Super Seller

As a business owner I have the freedom say no if I feel it's a bad decision for the business.  The freedom to take the time needed for personal reasons and not having to explain that to anyone.  

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 49 of 67

Everything, nothing

Message 50 of 67

I love the freedom! I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I get to wake up and decide what my day looks like. I don't have to worry about calling off due to being sick or just needing a mental health day and I get to spend my time with the people that I love most in this world!

Message 51 of 67

I like the feeling of accomplishment towards helping the community I get with getting things done for them. Feels like all the efforts I put in goes directly into our business, as opposed to breaking my back for what feels like nothing. Getting started was the scary part,  but once that 1st step was taken... I'll break my back for our business any day and every day and love it, because the community wins, so I win with it. Feels great!

Message 52 of 67

I've had the joy of having 3 of my former employers become my customers & clients over the years and The entire back and forth communication and exchange is of a higher caliber. it's more satisfying. even though two of them don't even remember me as an employee, cause their company was just too large to make connections. Now that I own my own company, the demystifying of inner company hierarchy and power exchange is null and void. we're just a bunch of people making decisions and some of know what other numbers mean cause we have to. so the need for ego is out of the window.  the mission and purpose takes  the lead, and since I own my own operation, if I WANT to stay and finish something, I can stay until 1 am or 2 just to make sure it's definitely done in amazing time, take the rest of the week off. It's a blast to have options, i make more money and there's no cap or limit to how much I do or don't make. 

Message 53 of 67

The List in endless! Really the freedom!

Message 54 of 67

I don't have a person watching my every move

Message 55 of 67
Beta Member

My house, my rules!

Message 56 of 67

I graduated from college with a BFA in 2015 and still didn't know what I wanted to do. Honestly, I wallowed for three years. And with a BFA, good-paying jobs weren't immediately available to me. Then I realized that I should create my own business and build my own path forward. Sure, it was risky, but I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. That was 2.5 years ago. Today, I have a successful, thriving pet sitting business in Austin. It's been so busy that I've had to turn away new business until I begin hiring. Every day I'm proud of my accomplishments as an entrepreneur and business owner. I love what I do, I love my clients, and most importantly, I love their pets! So, for me the advantage is pride, healthy self-esteem, and being super happy with my job and career path. From a financial viewpoint, as a business owner, I will be able to make a far, far better living than I would have working for someone else, and I have a lot more flexibility.

Message 57 of 67

I own a pony riding business. And what I love about my business is I love the smiles on the children's faces when they ride a horse for the first time or second or third. And the parents being able to take photos for them to remember throughout their lives. I enjoy hiring kids to give them the opportunity to be around these beautiful gentle creatures and to learn something new.

I really do enjoy what I'm doing. The good definitely outweighs the bad in this job. I've been doing this for 8 years now and it never gets old.

Rochelle Peterson

Message 58 of 67

The flexibility of time and work hours. 

Message 59 of 67

I love being able to help and inspire people while working on a schedule that is best for me and my family. 

Like we need to take a mental health day? No probs, lets go! 

Illiana Alabarces
Romance Fairy
Message 60 of 67

I have basically doubled my income, year over year. I don't know an employee situation that will double your income every year. So there's that. 

No headaches of asking the chain of command (and I mean it's usually a long chain) to do this or that. I just do what I like. And clearly it's working. 

Message 61 of 67

Very hard to reach customers with an ecommerce business. Check us out: www.bristial.com

Bristial
Message 62 of 67

The ability to provide an ethical and sustainable business to people. Giving them community and a service. Reminding them that we see their humanity and value them as the people they are!

Message 63 of 67