x
Admin

What is your least selling product, and why do you think it doesn't sell?

We're back with another QOTW...

What is your least selling product, and why do you think it doesn't sell?

Looking forward to reading your replies! ๐ŸŒŸ

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Super Seller

This is a hard question to answer for us. If something doesn't sell we simply take it off the menu. So if I had to choose something on our menu that doesn't sell it would be a cup of milk. We've probably sold a handful since we've opened, but most of the time kids order chocolate milk, not regular milk! 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 2 of 24

Any time we try to have a vegetarian menu item or gluten free item. We get people asking but they just don't show up when we have them. Just not worth it to us. The only thing that is consistent is when we offer something that is dairy free.

Message 3 of 24
Super Seller

I still tend to think they are a very vocal minority.. however there is a definite upswing. With a clever chef we have GF and VEG options for many of our dishes now.. our most popular cake (a decadent brownie) is GF. We use no gluten based products in our fryer so everything from there is automatically GF.

In terms of our worst item - it was a vegan cheese ๐Ÿ˜„

It resembled modeling clay, not remotely like cheese, cost a fortune, and I don't think we ever sold any...

Even the chickens wouldn't eat it.

I think the food alternatives and allergen driven stuff may be a repeating theme in this topic 

Bruce

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 4 of 24
Admin

I am not vegan but i have tried vegan cheeses... and in my opinion, no one has gotten it right yet ๐Ÿ˜‚

๏œ๏ธ Hailey
Seller Community Marketing Manager
Square Seller Community
Message 5 of 24
Super Seller

I've been vegan for 12 years and as bad as many vegan cheeses are (and they're still pretty bad), they have come a long way since 2010! ๐Ÿ˜‚ If anyone is curious, the Violife Mexican Shreds and the Daiya Mozzarella shreds melt well on burgers, the Daiya cream cheese is good, the Whole Foods 365 brand shredded parmesan is pretty good on pasta. ๐Ÿ˜Š We use the Daiya cream cheese and Mozzarella Shreds at our cafe and people seem to like them!

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 6 of 24
Super Seller

The very vocal minority, haha. ๐Ÿคฃ You're absolutely right.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Message 7 of 24
Super Seller

We have had the same thing happen in our shop.  Folks ask for a specific beer, specific wine, etc.  Then you get it, and it just sits there.  Now, we have a strong customer avatar, and we stick to buying for our customer avatar, and we do better. 

Rusty Sutton
The Green Monkey LLC
www.greenmonkeyraleigh.com
FB: greenmonkeyraleigh
IG: greenmonkeyraleigh
Twitter: @greenmonkeyshop
Message 8 of 24
Super Seller

This is so interesting! As a vegan, I wonder if it's because we tend to find places where we know we'll be able to find options. I am sometimes hesitant to try new places when I'm not sure that they'll have something I can eat. But, as a restaurant, I know how hard it is to cater to every dietary preference. We used to have a really wide selection of GF pastry, but we've had to cut back because the ingredients are so expensive and the interest seems to fluctuate a lot.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Message 9 of 24
Super Seller

Hmmmmโ€ฆ. Like @Lovewell thankfully I donโ€™t have inventory that only works for one item, so the dogs just get consigned to the โ€œgood idea, butโ€ฆโ€ pile.

I will say that for me itโ€™s all about what flavors (I have 80) and toppings (I have close to 50) arenโ€™t selling well.  I give them a year, and if they donโ€™t rise above a certain threshold, I replace them.  For the 2023 season, Iโ€™ve identified around 10 toppings that will go away and be replaced.  There are plenty of options in the world so why take up valuable prep-table space.  Some that are going away โ€” Jolly Rancher Crunch, peppermint crunch and Buttermints, And based upon requests, we are adding more than we are removing!

And @KevinBICR I feel your pain.  I will say that vegetarian/vegan AND gluten-free require a pretty consistent commitment.  When I had food, it took a few years to build up my following.  But, but the time I decided to give up food service, I was rated in โ€œFind Me Gluten Freeโ€ and was known as a place that had innovative, changing, and best of all flavorful vegan food, including an amazing vegan burger.  Still, trying to cover all of the diet things will drive you crazy for minimal returns.  Unless you really want to court those markets and make a name for yourself with them, Iโ€™ve never found it to be worth it.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piperโ€™s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

โ€œTake what you like, take what works, leave the rest!โ€
Message 10 of 24
Super Seller

@TheRealChipA I am coming to Kentucky just to partake in your 80 flavors and 50+ toppings! 

@KevinBICR I completely understand it is hard to bring in vegetarian or vegan or gluten free items. We have several different bakeries we get food from because we do not have a full kitchen and at first it people were kind of skeptical about it, but now we have people who don't even realize they are getting a vegan or gluten free item because they are so good and our staff does a great job at selling the items. For us what made the biggest difference is finding items we were proud to carry. No one on our staff is vegetarian or vegan or gluten free but we all love all the pastries we have that meet those dietary restrictions. If we try something new and we are not a fan of it we know we wont be able to confidently recommend it to a customer so we wont bring it in as an option. Don't give up on trying to bring in some of those options for people. But you know your customers best and you just have to try and find something that maybe more than just people with those dietary restrictions will purchase!

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 11 of 24
Super Seller

Right now, my least selling items are face mask and that's because the pandemic has died down.  I keep them on hand because I do have customers that come in and get them because of their job or because they have weakened immune systems.

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 12 of 24
Super Seller

We have 50 small bottles of hand sanitizer we can't get rid of! ๐Ÿคฃ

We are planning on giving them away at our next event. 

Message 13 of 24
Super Seller

Typically trendy items actually turn out to be some of the worst items for us to stock. When they're trendy you can't get supply in a timely manner and by the time you get them the trend has died off or they're available everywhere for super cheap. 

I'm fairly forward thinking so I try to spot opportunities for product lines that have staying power. 

The issue with our type of store is that I'll have something for years and then will sell out immediately after they stop production. 

We're really playing catch up on kids themes because what's popular 6 months ago could or could not be popular anymore and we lost a lot of time due to covid.

Typically I mark down anything that doesn't move for two years then start discounting it severely. Some might say 2 years is too long to not sell a product but my customer base requires a large variety and very few items sit that long.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 14 of 24
Super Seller

I Donโ€™t sell actual items or products. Iโ€™m going to in the new year.

Ryan Anton Schaffer RMT
www.reginamassagetherapist.com
Message 15 of 24
Super Seller

My lease selling product is one I thought would do really well.  It brings tons of people into the shop to look at it but then the price tag just makes it a tough sell.  

These stunning lucite games.  

https://hautebeautyguide.com/shop-hbg-now/Games-c138406277

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 16 of 24
Super Seller

Those games are cool!  We also have challenges selling high price points in unique items like that, and we haven't had luck with price points above $100. 

Rusty Sutton
The Green Monkey LLC
Message 17 of 24
Super Seller

Jewelry! We have discontinued any jewelry items in our store. Our store is unique because we combine a gift shop, bottle shop, wine shop, and bar.   Bath bombs do not sell well in our store either. 

Rusty Sutton
The Green Monkey LLC
Message 18 of 24
Super Seller

Beer & Wine is currently our lowest selling category. We used to be open until 10pm every night, but with the pandemic we shortened hours significantly. We're currently operating more like a breakfast/brunch/donut place (closing at 2pm), which has made a dent in those beer & wine sales. It still does well on weekends (especially mimosas) and for special evening events though, so we've been keeping the option around. Who doesn't like a nice sparkling rose during Saturday brunch?!

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Message 19 of 24

hey howdy Olive, our least selling object has to be the house (siding) washing due to it being priced so high. Reason being is. its a whole house with one person doing it for you out in the texas heat for as quick as you want and keep it as beautiful as the resident wanted it or expected it to be.

Message 20 of 24

I'm not selling anything, just a web page for information.

Message 21 of 24