x
Admin

Whatโ€™s the first thing you did when you decided to start your business? ๐Ÿง 

Hi Seller Community! ๐ŸŽƒ Today we're wondering...

Whatโ€™s the first thing you did when you decided to start your business? 

Can't wait to read your replies ๐Ÿค“

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
Super Seller

It was 2013 at Thanksgiving and our family was sitting around the dinner table contemplating and discussing our idea of opening a Create & Paint Studio.  The first step after agreeing on the idea was to give it a name.  We decided that we wanted something that was happy and positive and depicted taking a lump of clay into a beautiful vase or a blank canvas into a beautiful masterpiece, as well as the feeling you get when you are brimming with excitement.  Burst Of Butterflies became that name.  Like a Burst Of Butterflies fluttering in your tummy when you are excited, and a caterpillar turning to a beautiful butterfly.  The next steps, of course, were business plan, licenses, and finding a building.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 22 of 58

I did my research on starting a business, and in particular on publishing and consulting. I wrote a business plan, evaluated it and then decided to "go for it".  The first business-y step I took was to register my business with the state.

Message 23 of 58

Me and my sister picked out a name. It took us weeks to do so. 

Message 24 of 58

REGISTER THE BUSINESS

Message 25 of 58

Got a business bank account with the credit union 

Message 26 of 58

sent an email to a brand inquiring if they were open for distribution in my potential retail spot.  Then waited on pins and needles... they replied YES and the rest is history!

Message 27 of 58

I emailed Jack asking if he was ready to back my new venture. Never heard back lol. Much love!

Message 28 of 58
Beta Member

I decided to QUIT my job.

Orlando Perrone
Owner
Perrone Technologies: The Computer Shop
www.perronetech.net
Message 29 of 58

We love to hear it! I did the exact same thing. A 9-5 desk job was not serving me. Congratulations! 

Message 30 of 58

Reviewed my credit lines on all credit cards, home equity, etc.

Message 31 of 58

Took a deep breath and said a prayer.

Message 32 of 58

Signed up for Square. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 33 of 58

The first thing we did when we decided to go all-in was research. We checked to see if there were any local businesses similar to ours, that allowed us to scope out any potential competition. Next, we looked into what it would take to actually operate our business in our state as far as licensing and permits. Finally, once all paperwork was filed we started putting the word out to strum up a buzz, attending pop-up shops and vendor events, and offering samples, so when we were fully operational we already had a small following.

Message 34 of 58

Research, analytics, timetables, accountin......just kidding, well first we came up with a killer name, thanks to my sister in law! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Then we started marketing to the local community on FB(we lived in a town without any stores, and wanted to open a general store in our garage) and we received great feedback! From there it was planning, building and stepping out on a limb of faith. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 35 of 58

I decided if I wanted to do product or service business , 

Create a name- that reflect the product or services offering

Incorporated my business in the state I wanted to do business

decided if I want do online or have brick and mortal location

got an EIN number from the IRS

open a bank account that reflect the business name

define my target customers 

Open the door to accept customers

target my audience with the products or services ( you use email marketing , SEO, direct mail marketing and more)

sales and sales

track your cost , expenses, cash flow and out flow, and  prepared for tax time

Note: Stay in compliance with local agencies that you need to comply to 

senesi ernst

Message 36 of 58
Super Seller

The first thing I did when I decided I was gonna start my business was called everyone in my tribe (my support system).  Next we planned a girls night and had a big celebration.  I then started all the legal stuff.  Once all that was complete we had another night out to celebrate the official launch.....

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 37 of 58

Do whatever it takes to get the job done!

Message 38 of 58
Super Seller Alumni

I started by researching state and federal requirements to start a business. I also started a business plan and researched the industry for mentor groups, best practices, and market insight.

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 39 of 58

made it legal!

Message 40 of 58
Beta Member

I looked for a good location, and selected my coffee roaster. I got an attorney, negotiated the lease with contingencies for the funding.  Wrote my business plan around the location. Approached banks and economic development organizations for funding.  I decided the name, registered my business, I got an accountant, and researched the permit process in the town where I opened my business. I found a contractor, and an architect. I designed the concept for the build out. Developed my marketing, and set up the social media for the business to start creating awareness about what was coming. Once the build out started, I started looking for employees, and once the equipment was installed, I trained all employees. I had my marketing printed and distributed in the town the week of our soft opening. We opened 6 years ago, and now we are getting ready to start again, to open a second location. It's been extremely hard but I love what I do, and that makes worth all the hard work. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 41 of 58

Firstly, I quit my office desk 9-5 job and started living for myself. 

Bought inventory and started to learn very quickly it's much easier said than done. 

Called my states Small Business department to get free information on tax certs and licenses needed. 

Learned that being my own boss is amazing. 

Also learned that it's not longer an 8 hour day, it's a 12 -16 hour day. Even when you're not "working" you're working LOL. I would lay in bed and brain storm "what can I do to improve my margins" or "how do I take the customer experience to another level?"

Contacts are everything, in my industry it's all about who you know and word of mouth. 

I have been in business less than a year and have been profitable since month one. I surely am not making millions, but enough to pay the bills and be happy. 

I am forever grateful to myself for taking that leap. If you're thinking of starting your own business, do it. Do your research and really commit. 

- Meagan 

Open Hand Plant Co. 

Message 42 of 58