x
Admin

What's the secret to encouraging repeat customers?

Happy Wednesday, gang 👋

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday, you may get an influx of new customers during the festive season. Inspired by a question @Native_Creative shared a while back, we'd like to ask:

Some businesses may prefer a loyalty program while others like a frequent email campaign or offering regular discount instead. We'd love to know what has work best for you! 

Looking forward to reading all your replies

Tra
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

My major secret: make them want to come back.

My baristas are required to know the names or drinks of 10% of our regulars before they're allowed out of training, 25% before a raise kicks in. My managers must know at least 75% of our regulars.

We welcome them in by name. We ask about their kids, jobs, sports team, whatever they've mentioned in the past. Our major goal is always to make people feel like they're at home whenever they're in our store. Quite a few of our long time regulars have my personal cell, and many times they'll text just to catch up.

In today's economic environment and time of extreme competition I feel it's vital to connect far beyond our customers' wallets. Having that connection makes them want to continue to visit our store.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Super Seller

We find email campaigns to work well - we don't do a lot of public facing sales but have an annual holiday sale, summer camp registration, and date night special events like Valentine's day and we remind people whenever we upload work online etc... Most people are bombarded with messaging and appreciate a reminder 🙂 - we get some unsubscribes but we take full advantage of Square marketing. Our last email had a 61% open rate and with other services prior to Square we were usually around 20% so take advantage of the tools 🙂

Deanna [they/them]

MudFire CEO | Square enthusiast

Visit me at MudFire online
Message 2 of 26
Admin

Wow a 61% open rate is incredible! Definitely is a solid sign that you're aligned with what your customers want to see!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 3 of 26
Super Seller

email campaigns - remembering their birthday and major life events

thanking them.  There is just something about gratitude that keeps people connected especially to a small mom-and-pop business.

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 4 of 26
Admin

Gratitude and recognition work wonders!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 5 of 26

New Perspective on Repeat Customers: "Consistent value and personalized experiences are my go-to secrets! How about surprising customers with exclusive perks or early access? Keeps them coming back for more!🌟 #CustomerRetentionMagic
Message 6 of 26
Admin

Surprise and delights always are so helpful! 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 7 of 26
Super Seller

Establish a relationship that shows you care, are there to provide them with the resources they are looking for, and that you are there regardless of whether they purchase something or not. 

Message 8 of 26
Admin

Customer service is an art! Definitely always worth the investment.

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 9 of 26
Super Seller

Best Answer

My major secret: make them want to come back.

My baristas are required to know the names or drinks of 10% of our regulars before they're allowed out of training, 25% before a raise kicks in. My managers must know at least 75% of our regulars.

We welcome them in by name. We ask about their kids, jobs, sports team, whatever they've mentioned in the past. Our major goal is always to make people feel like they're at home whenever they're in our store. Quite a few of our long time regulars have my personal cell, and many times they'll text just to catch up.

In today's economic environment and time of extreme competition I feel it's vital to connect far beyond our customers' wallets. Having that connection makes them want to continue to visit our store.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 10 of 26
Super Seller

That's exactly why I'm at my local coffee shop right now. 🙂

Message 11 of 26
Admin

Super smart! 

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 12 of 26
Super Seller

@ryanwanner ;

After reading your post all I hear now is "NORM!!"    LOL

That is a great way to have a friendly place and your customers feel welcomed.   We great all our customers, and our regulars we know by name, but our Regulars come in once every 3 to 4 months or once a year to stock up.   No one needs candles daily or more.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 13 of 26
Super Seller

"NORM!!"  Haha! 

(Also, tell me you are GenX without saying you are GenX!)

My wife would argue with you about the frequency of needing candles.  I think if there was a subscription plan she'd be all over it haha

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 14 of 26
Super Seller

AMAZING- THIS IS EXCEPTIONAL AND BRILLIANT!!

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 15 of 26
Super Seller

Hearing this makes me want to not hate coffee and to be a coffee drinker at your place just to experience that.  

That is some amazing training you have there and sounds like the gold standard.  

Message 16 of 26
Super Seller

Make a quality product that people will want to buy again.  Since our repeat customers only repeat 1 time a year, every 4 months or every 3 months, we go with quality and friendliness when people enter.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 17 of 26
Admin

Quality always wins!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 18 of 26
Beta Member

Maxpete, YES!  When you bring a quality product to your clients, customers, and people in general, with authenticity, they keep coming back!

This is not just about a customer giving you money.  It is about building a relationship based on trust.  When a customer trusts that you are offering them the best you have and they feel secure in their relationship with you ... THEY KEEP COMING BACK and they invest in you as much as you invest in them.

Building relationships.  Too often we just are consumers.  We have lost the connection of trusting who we are working with and purchasing from.  The process is merely an exchange of goods and we look for the cheapest price.  A quality relationship built on rapport and trust will always bring back the client and customer because they feel good about working with you and purchasing your products.

Thank you for commenting!

Dr Jen Casper, Spiritual Counselor
"May you always be blessed."

Brodheadsville, PA
Message 19 of 26
Beta Member

I have many repeat clients.  My clients keep working with me because they like the experience and are able to obtain their goals with the support I offer.  When I meet a new client, I build rapport with that client.  We establish a relationship.  When my client feels good about working with me and feeling comfortable and confident while solving their problems, they want to keep coming back.  My loyalty to them is reciprocated by them coming back to me.  

My short answer to what makes a client loyal is building rapport and being loyal to your clients.

Thank you!

Dr Jen Casper, Spiritual Counselor
"May you always be blessed."

Brodheadsville, PA
Message 20 of 26
Admin

Love hearing this and great job on always building rapport and loyalty with your customers!

Max Pete
Seller Community
Message 21 of 26