x

Accept partial credit card payment for an invoice

I was really happy to see the update to allow partial payments on invoices, thinking I can finally use them to record ongoing payments on items. However when I try it gives me the option to apply a partial payment only with cash or other form of payment (not credit card)? Also, If I apply a partial payment this way does it add the cash to my cash drawer? It doesn't seem to be running through the normal payment screen. If I take a cash payment through the register and then add it as a partial payment towards an invoice, it seems to mess up my total sales figures (duplicating the amount I actually made). Maybe this is not how invoices are intended to be used?

Let me explain what I want to do and maybe someone can tell me if there is a way to do this. So I have a small retail store and I have situations where customers put an item on layaway and make payments towards the item. I am currently using a regular carbon copy sales book to record the sale and payments. When they come in I make a custom sale for the payment amount and add a note to the receipt page in the book. The payments are for different amounts and not on a regular schedule. The customers usually come into the store (though I have got a few through an email invoice before). I was hoping that the new update would allow me to record the payments towards the items through the invoice system as this would be a lot better organized then the book, keep a better record, and allow access to the payment details when I am away from the store. Please let me know if there is a way to make invoices work for what I need and if not, is there another way of recording an incomplete sale that is being paid on?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

currently, the down payment option is only a one time option and not for multiple payments like a layaway program.  It just recently rolled out and hopefully will expand to include options like layaway.  Also if you take the first payment via invoice online the customer can't come in and pay it off, the payment needs to be applied the same way as the down payment so you can't accept it on the POS.

Message 2 of 9

Thanks for the reply. I hope they add something like what I need in the future, but for now I'll just use the old reciept book.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Thanks for surfacing, @Chaos_Emporium, and for helping out with this, @VanKalkerFarms!

I also wanted to put in a quick plug for a similar feature that we recently released. Square Installments can be added to Square Invoices in the event that your customers might wish to finance a purchase. For more details on how it works, have a look at this thread: Introducing Square Installments🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for letting me know about this new feature. Unfortunetly, I don't think it will be appliable for my business, as my average layaway is only around $200. But I will keep this in mind in the future.

Edit: Actually, I just checked and I'm located in one of the states this is not available in. 😞

Message 5 of 9

any update to accepting partial payments for invoices, like layaway??

Message 6 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @xmas2195! Welcome to the Community.

No updates on this as of right now but see Tom's post above about the Square Installments to see if that would work for your business. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 9

I know this has been asked multiple times, but I am unable to get an answer or to figure out how to make this happen.  I need to know how to accept partial payments from invoices sent to my client's through square invoices??  I feel like this should be a thing.

Message 8 of 9
Admin

Hello @counselingsol. Take a look at @VanKalkerFarms explanation above on how our partial payments for invoicing works, and let us know if you have additional questions!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 9