x

Accept "food" tickets as payment

We are food vendors for an event this weekend. The event organizers sell tickets to attendees who use them to purchase food and drinks. 1 Ticket = $1. I use square to keep track of inventory as well as accept payments. But I'm not sure how this ticket method would work with Square register, if at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

You could just accept them as if they're dollars. These kind of pay situations usually emply that everything sold is a rounded dollar amount. So short of tailoring your item library and changing all the prices, I would just ring them up as usual, and if someone's total comes to $23.37, I would round it up and charge them an even $24 (or 24 tickets). If you're balancing your cash drawer, you'd have to pull out the remaining $0.63 for that transaction so that you don't appear to be over. Not sure what to do about receipts and taxes though...

Message 2 of 6

I hadn't even thought about taxes. Argh! This event seems to be turning out more trouble than it's worth. It's supposed to storm the whole weekend too! Who wants cake and ice cream in wet, rainy weather? Not to mention, we don't even get paid for the tickets we take in until the next week. And, if we take in anything other than the event tickets, we get kicked out.

I guess we'll just go with the flow and chalk it up to experience.

Thanks for your response!

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

@LocavoreStore Great suggestion!

@BPBKara You might also benefit from using the "Other" tender as the payment method when your customers check out. 

You would price your items as normal, (in whole $1.00 amounts as suggested previously), and when completing the sale just select "Other" as your payment method. 

The fact that you're not able to accept anything other than tickets makes the transactions simple and easier to apply workarounds. 

Let us know how it goes!

Message 4 of 6

While the weekend was a total bust (event was cancelled mid-day due to weather concerns), the tickets actually turned out simpler than I was anticipating. A lot of my concerns were addressed when we checked in and could have been avoided if the organizers had provided the information ahead of time.

I literally accepted the tickets as if they were dollar bills. So if I sold $10 worth of food, I took 10 tickets. I went through the steps of the transaction as I normally would with cash. When closing out for the day, I just counted how many tickets I had and entered that as my ending cash in the drawer.

As for taxes, we include taxes in our prices anyway. The organizers deduct the tax from the total number of tickets (gross) and take their 30% from the remaining (net). I was worried they would take the 30% from the total amount taken in.

Now, if I can figure out some way to control the weather......

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Message 5 of 6
Alumni

@BPBKara aw man, sorry to hear the weather was not cooperating for your event! Sounds like you were able to find a good solution for the tickets, thanks for getting back to us with the update! 

Message 6 of 6