x

Add item using barcode?

Hi, All. 

I'm new to Square and trying to figure out how I'll use the inventory tools. I have a few questions about adding items using a barcode scanner. 

Can I add an item to Square using a barcode scanner? In other words, can I add to my inventory by scanning the barcode on a product (ISBN, for example) or do I have to manually type the SKU into a new item?

Also, let's say that I already have the item in stock and am adding to my stock with new inventory. Can I simply scan the barcode to change the number in stock? 

Lastly, can I look up whether I have an item in stock by scanning a barcode? 

Thanks much!

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @konabaybooks! You can use a bar code scanner with an iPad or Android device to add an SKU when creating an item:

1. Open the app > tap Items > tap All Items to see your item library.
  2. Tap Create Item.
  3. Scan the bar code and the scanned SKU or UPC code will appear in the SKU field. 

Note: The steps above will populate the SKU in the SKU field but you'll need to enter the other details like the item name and price manually. Take a look at this Support Center article for a quick way to import items online using a CSV file. (You could add the SKU using that file, or set up your items with the file and then go back and scan the SKU to add it from the app.)

I'm afraid there isn't a way to add or check inventory with a bar code scanner (yet). This is a feature request we're tracking in this thread

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Square Community Moderator

@petshop You will need a dedicated barcode scanner to scan barcodes.

This would be a feature request for the Square for Retail system. It is some great feedback for the future to help make running your business easier. Feel free to also share your suggestions in our Ideate Room here. - Our Product Team keeps an eye on this forum as they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this.

Message 22 of 26
Beta Member

Thanks, Robyn, then it's all clear, thank you!

Message 23 of 26

@petshop You're welcome! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Message 24 of 26

SKU question

I have TEA set up as a parent item for display on the POS screen.

Under this, I have then added 150 teas as VARIATIONS and I have loaded bar codes to each of the 150 items.

The scanner cannot find the items. 

My problem is this, the barcode printer I use required two (2) leading zeros to recognize the code. But the preceding zeros don't seem to work well with the barcode reader in SQUARE. CANT FIND ITEM

I'm guessing its something I do not understand in BAR CODES, are preceding ZEROs not recognized?

and thanks for all the fish,

Air Play

Message 25 of 26

Hi @AirPlay,

Which barcode printer and SKU generator are you using? The formatting could be the cause as to why you're having trouble scanning your barcodes. You could also consider using Square for Retail to auto-generate SKUs and barcodes. I'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Message 26 of 26