x

Adding postage to final invoice that has a deposit

I did search for previous answers but can't find what I'm looking for.  I apologize if this has been answered.  I request a 50% deposit for my invoices.  My problem comes at the end when I add the postage at cost and try to send the final invoice.  The invoice only allows the customer to pay 50% of the postage and states that it's overdue, which is offensive, IMO.  What am I missing?  Thanks so much in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @flamingomtn

I just want to make sure I am understanding what you're asking. 

You have a 50% deposit required on your invoice and on the final invoice you're adding a postage. When you add that - asking for another deposit on that? Is that correct? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Yes, basically.  The first time it happened, the customer had paid their deposit.  I added $20 for the shipping and sent the final invoice.  It showed the customer that he had $20 overdue and it would only let him pay $20, not the entire balance.  Another time, it wanted the customer to pay half of the shipping, like a deposit, and it would only let him pay that portion.

Message 3 of 6

@flamingomtn thanks for explaining that! I think the issue arises in the fact that you are editing the invoice after the first deposit was sent. You will need to either send a separate invoice, or include the $20 in the original invoice. Are these things you are able to do with your business?

AshleyK
Message 4 of 6

Adding the postage before the deposit is difficult...generally not even possible, because I charge exact shipping and that's based on weight and size of the package.  I request the deposit before I start the work so obviously don't know the weight until it's finished and packed.  The things I do are not repetitive so I don't know weight ahead of time.  I've just been creating a new invoice at the end but it seems like something I shouldn't have to do.  If I were interested in invoice numbers, I'd be sunk since every transaction requires two numbers.  It's just a clumsy way of handling things and I would expect something a bit more professional from Square.  In my opinion, there's something that could be done on the programming side to fix this.  I thought that I was doing something wrong.

Message 5 of 6

I hear you @flamingomtn and I agree that there should be an easier method to adding inventory to an existing invoice that hasn't been paid fully. I will bubble this feedback up to our Development Team for further consideration as I do understand that creating a second invoice just for shipping feels like an extra step when it would be easier to keep it all in once invoice/place. 

Thank you for taking the time to share this and I will post any updates I have as they come. 

AshleyK
Message 6 of 6