x
Alumni

Apple Pay: Best Practices for Setting Up

If you’re just getting set up with your Apple Pay marketing kit and the Square Reader for contactless and chip, you may be curious how best to arrange things on your countertop. 

I collected a few tips from business owners who recently set everything up, and want to share with you today. Let us know your tips as well - what’s worked well at your business?

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.00.58 PM.png

First Thing's First

Make sure your Square contactless and chip reader is connected to your device and charged up. Get a Dock for your Square Reader if you haven't already–the long cord and heavy base keep it charged and ready for Apple Pay all day.

Get Placement Right
The reader should be facing your customers and be within their reach so they can easily make a payment with Apple Pay while holding their phone or wearing their Apple Watch.

R12_ReaderReady_Square_01-1476987277465.png

Make Signage Visible
Your customers should feel welcome to use their iPhone or Apple Watch to pay, but in order to do it, they have to know you accept all types of payments! Make sure you have signage (you can order a marketing kit from your dashboard!) indicating that you take Apple Pay and ensure the signs are near your reader.

Once you’re all set up, check out our posts on training staff and educating customers on Apple Pay.

What other tips do you have for getting set up to accept Apple Pay? Share your ideas and countertop photos in the comments!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Super Seller Alumni

Apple Pay has been working WONDERFULLY for us.  And guest adoption seems to be moving upwards since we implemented Square a few weeks back.  I think we processed seven or eight Apple Pay transactions yesterday.  Guests love it and it's so quick & easy.  

Message 2 of 15
Alumni

That's great, thanks for letting us know, @jjgard! And welcome to Square! 😊 Do you do anything special to encourage your customers to use Apple Pay? 

Message 3 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

I've got the signage up at each register and the stickers on the front entrance.  The people who 'get' it seem to naturally want to pull out their phone or Apple Watch and do it.

I did also log into our Apple Maps entry and update it to indicate that we accept Apple Pay.  So when folks search for us on Apple Maps, they'll see that indicated there.

Frictionless payment is one of our key strategies moving forward.  We have a rather small entrance building and it can get quite congested on busy days.  Anything that speeds up transaction times is a welcome addition!

Message 4 of 15

On April 9th, The customer paid using "Apple pay" but the transaction did not get processed as "apple pay" and my free processing using apple pay did not get applied to that transaction. The same customer paid using same iphone last month but a different credit card but transaction was identified as "apple pay".

Anyone having the same issue?

Message 5 of 15
Alumni

@ng1 hmm, this seems a little strange - mind reaching out to our Support Team so we can look into it specifically for you? 

Message 6 of 15

Get the decals and put them on your entrance door. That is one of the things people see and often pull out their phone once through the door, ready to buy

Message 7 of 15
Alumni

That's a great tip, thanks @Tom_Herman

Message 8 of 15

Where can I find the link to upload my picture?

Message 9 of 15
Beta Member

Order the decals from Apple as well as that large one is what people look for. 

Message 10 of 15

I apologize because this is probably written in a thread somewhere but trying to find information in this forum is a labyrinth and the search result is populating 300+ results unrelated to my issue:

I just want to set up Apple Pay and use Square as my payment processor. I'm seeing articles which seem to indicate this is possible, but no step by step explanation on how to accomplish this. I do not have a physical store location so payment would be completely virtual. Hoping someone is willing to help - thanks!

Message 11 of 15
Square Community Moderator

No worries, @BlossomWithMe

I am happy to help you navigate to find the answer you need. 

Check out this post by Kpay for helpful info on using Apple Pay. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 15

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately that post is not answering my question at all. As I mentioned in my post, I do not have a store so my clients pay me virtually. The post you included is talking about how to set up the equipment in store using a chip reader. 

The information I'm seeking is this: I have an Apple Pay account. Now how do I accept Apple Pay payments virtually with Square? Again, I'm reading posts that says it can be be done but Square doesn't seem to provide any information as to how to set this up. They are solely focused on accepting in-store payments with their equipment. 

Message 13 of 15
Alumni

Hi there @BlossomWithMe! Stepping in for Kassi

Currently, there's no other way to accept Apple Pay payments unless you're selling Online or selling in-store using the POS app. If you see otherwise in our forums, can you point me to the thread so I can get a better understanding of what you're looking to accomplish? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 15

This will be my third time explaining that I'm paying virtually aka "online".

Kassi gave me a post with information that explained how to set up Apple Pay for in-store purchases which does not help me at all since as I said before, my payments are not in-store.

Message 15 of 15