x

Appointments - How can I have sales tax automatically added to services?

How can I have sales tax automatically added to services when you check out rather than having to click sales tax everytime and is there an app for appointments with android?

Message 1 of 23
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Just wanted to update this thread:

You can now create and apply taxes to services for Square Appointments 🎉

Here is a Support Center article detailing how to do so  Let me know if you have any questions about this! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 23 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Whenever I go to check out a client with appointments, it makes me add the sales tax on. Super annoying and often missed step. There has to be a way for it to be automatically added? It would be better to turn turn it off rather than turn it on. 

Message 2 of 23
Super Seller

it depends on how you have it set up.  you can make it automatically on based on how you have your items set up.  you can turn on the tax for some or all of your items here.  https://squareup.com/dashboard/items/taxes

Message 3 of 23
Admin

Thanks for bringing this up, @julietpae. Square Appointments does not support taxable Services at this time, but you can create items within the Appointments app that can have taxes applied.

In addition, if you're set up with pre-payments on your Online Booking site, you could include the sales tax within the Service price.

For in-app sales, you'll have to apply the tax manually for the appropriate service at checkout. Our Appointments Team is tracking this request, and we'll be sure to announce any updates. Appreciate your patience on this and please keep in touch!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 23

They definitely need to add the ability to assign sales tax to "services" just like "items." For those who run salons, services are taxed and so are items (products). It doesn't make sense that there's no way to apply sales tax to services automatically. Huge design oversight.

Message 5 of 23

I agree, having to add sales tax manually to services is a problem. I see the original question was from a few months ago - are there any updates on this enhancement?

Message 6 of 23
Square Community Moderator

No updates on this at this time unfortunately @asthefurflie 

We'll continue to bring this to our Appointments teams attention and hopefully we can implement something to help with this. 

In the meantime, check out a few workarounds that are suggested in this thread. 

Message 7 of 23

Epic fail on square appointments. 

Message 8 of 23

I hope that square adds the ability to tax services soon!!!

Message 9 of 23

I am using a prepaid appointment for a special promotion.  If the appt fee is $200 how do i enable adding sales tax to the prepayment when the customer books?  I don't think it will look right to have it show as $212, which would be the total after tax.  But if I don't add it then I am going to have to eat and pay the tax.  Thanks

Message 10 of 23
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: In appointments how can I add sales tax to a prepaid appointment?

@karens I merged your question into this thread so you can see @Tom's Best Answer. Currently, for prepaid appointments you do need to include the tax in the total amount of the service. But you could change the service name so that it states 'tax included' so that this is clear to customers.

I'll share your request to have a way to add taxes to services booked online with the Appointments Team.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 11 of 23

This needs to be addressed immediately and why Square has over looked this and not made it a priority is lackadaisical. I just redid all of my square settings to make the appointments calendar easier only to find it doesn’t add sales taxes to services. Our state law doesn’t allow items to be tax included. So now I have to make custom transactions for each appointment and a category for taxes. It’s enough for me to consider a different service altogether.

Message 12 of 23
Admin

@BLGC I'm very sorry for the trouble that this is causing. You can add a tax from the Appointments app at check out: 

1. Select the Appointment from your calendar and tap Review and Check Out.
  2. Tap on the service name and then toggle the switch next to the sales you created ON. (To create a tax go to the Settings section of the app > set your tax to Add Tax to Item Price.)
  3. Tap Save and then tap Charge to complete the payment.

I hope that this helps. In the meantime I've also shared your post wtih the Appointments team who are working make improvements based on your feedback. I really appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 13 of 23

People keep "sharing" this with the design team and nothing is being done to implement a solution. When you're busy during your day, having an extra step to add sells tax while checking out a client after an appointment is annoying. It's not uncommon for someone to forget to toggle ON the sales tax when checking out an appointment. 

This is not a nice to have feature, it's a NECESSITY! Someone needs to get this done immediately unless Square wants to start covering our costs when we forget to charge sales tax and the State comes after us.

Message 14 of 23

I came here to find an answer regarding the same issue. I had been contemplating a few different appointment setting apps for my business needs to stop using pen & paper. But I too find it disheartening that Square developers have not addressed this very important issue. It is against the law to not charge tax on certain services. So when the toggle switch is forgotten, we LOSE MONEY since we still have to pay it. DO SOMETHING SQUARE!! It doesn't take 10mths to fix this. It is a matter of setting up services the same way as items. Why would I pay $50/month for something that could cause me to lose money?

Message 15 of 23
Admin

Thanks for your post @Choosey616, I'm sorry that we haven't had an update to share on this feature request in a while. We are advocating for this with the Appointments team — I appreciate your feedback about how important this is to your business. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 16 of 23

It has been a year since this thread has opened. I can not see the coding for this matter to take more than 30mins. Does square really feel this is not important? Has Square overlooked that services need to be taxed or allow our customer's appointments to show what they are paying in full? You leave it to us, to add a critical step in order to check out and explain to the customer that Square appointments has its flaws? Come on Square. You guys are great but we are extremely disappointed in this matter.

Message 17 of 23

Hi Helen,

This feature is a necessity. I urge you to push the dev team to prioritize this feature to release as soon as possible. I am willing to change to another appointment-booking service if this feature does not come.

I have read through the solutions suggested so far, and they are not acceptable. I have different tax rates depending on the location and type of appointment I am booking. Creating a list of services with different tax rates baked in to the amount is not a feasible solution. I also do not see the option to add Items that have taxes added to an appointment booking so that I can add taxes that way, as suggestion in another post here. 

Please make this a priority for the Appointments team!

Message 18 of 23

This is super frustrating and confusing for customers, please fix this issue we need to add tax to our services without adding it to the fixed price, it should be separate charge so the customer can identified what they are paying

Message 19 of 23

I know! I'm currently looking into appointy. Its half the price and guess what! It adds sales tax. It also syncs up with square so you can bill people right from the appointment app or have them prepay. Plus you can market from appointy. So there is more savings over square. The marketing they provide automatically adds promotions to the customers appointments. (Mind blown) another thing square couldn't figure out.  I'm going to try the demo version later and see how well it syncs up with square.

Message 20 of 23

A question was asked 2 years ago but no updates have been provided.

How do I add taxes to my services on my booking site?

I know I can add taxes for products in my "items" but it does not transfer to my services under Bookings. Even though when going through the process of a Booking it shows Taxes: $0.00. I cannot get it to register any taxes.
Please help.
Message 21 of 23