x
Beta Member

Auto add item when certain item selected?

I hope there isn't alread a thread on this. If so, please move my question. 

Is it possible to have item B automatically added when Item A is added to the purchase? 

My specific scenario is, I would like item "shipping fee" added when item "printed image" is purchased, so as not to forget.

I could add it as a modified, but it adds the shipping cost to the item and I need those costs seperate. 

However, as I was typing this question, I realized my shipping fee has various modifiers, so therefore the modifier screen would also need to populate. That may require a little more thinking. An alternative, would be to allow a modifier (with an added fee) to add the cost to the total, but not the item's subtotle. 

It's a small thing for us, but figured I'd pose the idea anyway to see where it goes.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @crystalimages, thanks for bringing this up.

I went to check on this and the ability to auto-add (or suggest) a certain item (or modifier) with the selection of an initial item isn't available at this time. 

As a workaround, I'm wondering it this might help: if you're using a tablet, you can customize a grid screen and then make sure to place the two items next to each other. With that, you could incorporate it into the workflow that, "when you select Item A from this screen, you'll also need to select Item B" in order to complete the sale. I realize that there's still some room for error as it relies on training versus automation.

To learn more about setting up a grid, have a look here: Set Up Your Item Grid on a Tablet.

I can see that having to keep the items separate in this case seems to be one of the main issues with getting this to work seamlessly. I'll surface your post with our Point of Sale team as well. We'll be back with any other updates or suggestions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Thanks for the reply. I've already set the grid with the items in a spot that helps remind the staff. It's the room for error you mentioned that I would like to minimize. Thanks for passing on the suggestion .

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Got it—sounds like you're one step ahead. Apologies for the constraints and thank you for your patience on this one!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

Just curious if any progress has been made on this or if it's in discussion at all.

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @crystalimages - thanks for checking in here. No update to share just yet on this one. We will be sure to hit you back here whenever there is news on this front.

Thanks for your patience! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6