x

An Automatic Gratuity / Tip button for Point of Sale app would be great, please

An Automatic Gratuity / Tip button for Point of Sale app would be great, please

We add a mandatory 18% gratuity to all large parties in the restaurant, but there's no easy way to do this without getting out a calculator and doing the math (horror!) manually. 

I tried creating a new "tax" of 18%, but it only half-works. On the plus side, it automatically calculates what 18% of the bill would be. But on the minus side, it's listed on the customer receipt as "tax," which is a deal-breaker. 

For now, we define an item called "Gratuity" with an undefined price/percentage and then calculate it manually for every bill as described above. It's error-prone and time-consuming, both bad things. Surely Square Register is smart enough to figure out the tip on its own? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Automatic tip for parties of 6+

@MR_Cltuch @Gam1 I just wanted to let you know that automatic gratuity based on the number of guests at a table is currently available with Square Restaurants. Square for Restaurants is a separate app to the Point of Sale app and it's free to try for 30 days. There's more information about automatic gratuity and other check management features with Square for Restaurants in our Support Center too! 

71 Comments
Beta Member

Is there a way to add automatic gratuity to a check? For example. If a customer on say table A1 has a party of 6 and the restaurant lets them know that there will be an automatic tip added to their bill. How would I go about doing so or is that something that we cannot do? I read a thread that say we can set up a tax for it as a sort of bypass but then it won't calculate into the end of night report under tips and I will not be able to calculate it. Help?

Admin

Hey @KBBQ, thanks for bringing this up.

We don't currently offer an additional auto-gratuity option, though I can certainly see how this would be helpful for many restaurants. At this time, Spenser's suggestion in A "Tip/Gratuity" button would be great, please is the best workaround available.

I do see how this doesn't solve the reporting issue and I'll be sure to flag your post with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working on improvements based on seller feedback.

Please keep in touch, and we'll circle back with any other updates.

Beta Member

Thank you for the response. However, it seems like so much extra work everyday to try and add up the "tax" to the gratuity. I have been using square for a year and a half now and have read a lot of threads and posts. I understand that there are a lot of things that need to get fixed and updated and it will probably never end but... 

Hopefully there will be an update soon. Thanks again.

Admin

Thanks for sticking with us, @KBBQ, and I'm sorry to hear that the lack of this feature is causing extra work on daily basis. If any other sellers in similar situations have efficiency tips or best practices — please do share!

We'll announce any helpful developments as they're available. Stay tuned.

Hello, I was wondering if this feature was implemented? Thank you

We love square but really isn't marketed for a "restaurant" and have had to make some adjustments to accommodate this fact.  Please implement the auto gratuity if you can.  It would really be a great help!  

Please add this feature instead of the additional tax route we all have to take. It would seeem like an easy fix. 

Please. Please. Please.

Alumni

Hey there @gc1 - I hear you on this - I'll make sure to reach out to our Product Team and provide this feedback. 

I am trying to add a 15% gratuity to my transactions and don't see an option to do so. Please advise.

Square Community Moderator

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “How do I add gratuity to my transactions?”

Hi @Randfhaynes

Check out the answer in this existing thread. While it's not a built-in automatic feature of the Point of Sale app, there are a few workarounds you can try 👍🏼