x

Why are automatic receipts going to the wrong person (wrong email address)?

Hi, my customer keeps getting her receipts emailed to her husband and she does not want that. I do not manually type in anything when charging her card, but somehow his email keeps getting them. How can I make sure the auto receipts go to her, not him anymore

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry for the trouble for your customer! Thanks for writing in.

There's not a way for you as a seller to edit the email address that an automatic receipt gets sent to, as in our system, receipts are a customer-facing setting. By default, when a customer opts in to an automatic receipt at one seller, they'll get automatic receipts to that email address when they visit any seller who uses Square.

Your customer can, however, unlink her husband's email address. Then, the next time she makes a purchase with that card (from any Square seller), she can enter in her preferred email address.

In order to do that she should have her husband find the most recent receipt in his email. Then, have him click the link that says, "Not your receipt?" and follow the onscreen instructions to unlink the receipt. You can also learn about Automatic Receipts in our Support Center.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry for the trouble for your customer! Thanks for writing in.

There's not a way for you as a seller to edit the email address that an automatic receipt gets sent to, as in our system, receipts are a customer-facing setting. By default, when a customer opts in to an automatic receipt at one seller, they'll get automatic receipts to that email address when they visit any seller who uses Square.

Your customer can, however, unlink her husband's email address. Then, the next time she makes a purchase with that card (from any Square seller), she can enter in her preferred email address.

In order to do that she should have her husband find the most recent receipt in his email. Then, have him click the link that says, "Not your receipt?" and follow the onscreen instructions to unlink the receipt. You can also learn about Automatic Receipts in our Support Center.

Message 2 of 41

Reply created by merging an original thread titled: "My clients receipts are going to another person automatically , how do I correct this?" Author has been notified of the merge via email.

Message 3 of 41

Thats great but what if it is going to some one entirley different and the buyer does not know the since they must have put in a wrong email in the beginning.

I just did a sale that went thru and and the receipt went some where and I got a responce back saying not our purchase and they gave me a negitive feedback. and I know the customer and they were quite thrilled with the piece and I know if there was a problem they would tell me. so I figgure there receipt whent to some one else?

what can I do and how can I get rid of the Negitive responce?

Message 4 of 41
Square

Apologies for the delay, @walt2

The good news is that Feedback is only visible to you privately, and will not have any impact on your Square account. You're able to respond to the feedback to request they click "Not your receipt?" Or if you'd rather, our Support team would be able to do so on your behalf. In which case, you'll want to contact us directly. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 5 of 41

How can we turn off receipts since they keep gpoing tp the wrong person and you all don't seem to be able to fix this. I started using square because it was simple and because of the automatic receipts, but not being able to change the email address is a problem. The other processor we used allowed this

Message 6 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hi @precious

We can take care of this for you if you reach out to our Support Team directly. 

More importantly, our Support Team can probably identify why or how the receipts are being sent to the wrong person. 

Message 7 of 41

Does Square have any means of tracking when and where a phone number or email were first entered and attached to the card in question?  I have an irate customer who thinks that square is randomly sending her CC info to anyone and everyone bc her stepdaughter received one receipt.  Obviously long odds that her stepdaughter would be the one to receive that info out of the 6+billion people in the world so I explained that there's clearly a connection. Alas, she's still not able to wrap her head around it so I was hoping there might be a way to provide a specific connection of phone/email to card so she can take it up with her stepdaughter instead of us.   

Message 8 of 41

Hello @clementineXOXO

I'm really sorry you were put in this situation considering it's something you can't control. I can confirm that her stepdaughter had to have entered her email address for a purchase made with the customers credit card at a previous merchant. That's the only way she could have received a copy of the receipt, since when you enter an email address for a receipt it's then paired to that credit card for future purchases. 

Removing her stepdaughter is pretty easy. Her stepdaughter just needs to open up the receipt and select "Not your receipt?" to unsubscribe herself. 

If you have any questions or if I can help with anything else please feel free to reach out to me. 😊

Message 9 of 41

everytime when I use a Square POS to buy something, all my receipts automatically sent to my son's email, regardless which Credit Card I use.

How to fix this issue

Message 10 of 41

Hi there, @bayra 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We appreciate you flagging this over to us - and so sorry for the confusion.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Selles and Buyers who also had this question. I would recommend taking a look at this Best Answer from George - it will give you insight on how to unlink your email and re-attach a new one to your digital receipts.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 41

This answer is not satisfactory! I manually entered a payment from two different customers - both UNRELATED - and the receipt was sent to a third person - again TOTALLY UNRELATED. This cannot be a coincidence nor is it the ciustomer's issue - it is a system issue somewhere. I NEED HELP.

Message 12 of 41

This is a real problem, and I can't believe it hasn't been solved!

What if a couple is divorced and no longer amicable. The ex gets to see every purchase the customer makes at any store that uses Square? And the only way to unlink it is to ask that ex to unlink it?

Plus, the customer might not even know if the ex is getting all this information?

This is a major security problem.

Message 13 of 41

Our store gets emailed receipts from other stores and their customers.  How can this be?

Message 14 of 41
Square

@ppres If you have ever visited the business, your email address may have become associated with their customer's payment method. Our Support Team can help get this sorted out, just send them over the receipt information. 

Message 15 of 41

Last night I bought some ice cream from a shop that used a Square Reader to process my credit card payment. I was prompted to tip but not for a receipt.  30 minutest later I received a text from an acquaintance saying that he had just received the receipt for that purchase.   How could that happen?

Message 16 of 41

@Citizen310 Check out the information in this thread. While every situation is different, this usually happens when a friend enters their receipt information (email or phone number) after you purchase something from a Square Seller together (like ice cream or lunch for example). 

As Kelly mentioned in her previous post, reach out to our Support Team, as they can get this sorted out for you and even resend the receipt if you need!

Message 17 of 41

Just got emailed a reciept for a merchant I never visited.  Is some one using my card or stole my indentity? 

Message 18 of 41
Admin

Hey @gpell — sorry for the confusion. It sounds like someone may have entered in your email address by mistake, so your email address got linked to their payment card.

Not to worry, you can resolve this yourself by following these steps in our Support Center: Incorrect Receipts. Otherwise, let our Support Team know about this and they'll get to the bottom of it as soon as possible. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 19 of 41

Reciept going to wrong people

Message 20 of 41

I had this issue before. 1. The customer used square somewhere else and put in the wrong number 2. The credit Card they used is linked to an old number 3. Another customer put in the wrong number.

I have been using square for a long time and i have had each one of those scenarios happen. The customer has to contact square and have their info changed. You can also save them as a customer with their correct info. It is easy to get fixed but the customers can be very uneasy about it. So, be reassurring and informative on how easy it is for the numbers to get crossed up. Hope this helps BTI

Message 21 of 41