x

Backdate invoice

Is there a way to backdate an invoice?

Message 1 of 18
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Backdate invoice

You cannot change invoice or transaction dates. 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Super Seller

Message 2 of 18

Why not? I need to go back and catch up on my books by entering invoices to match the payments received by Check or Card... But invoices only allow me to enter today's date or forward. There's got to be a way to enter past dates like Freshbooks, QuickBooks etc. Frustrating

Message 3 of 18

I'm trying to figure out why I can't change the date on invoices.

Message 4 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @oatbrandy1 - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! It is good to hear from you again.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers looking to edit the date on an Invoice. Take a look at this Best Answer for more details.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 18

can i create a past date invoice? ex: date an invoice for 12.18.19 for prior work done to bill today?

Message 6 of 18

Hi there, @popepark! Thanks for writing in here on the Seller Community. We are happy to have you in the fold!

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a similar thread of other Sellers asking for this same feature. 

As of now, there is no way to backdate an Invoice. The only workaround in this case would be to notate when the transaction was fulfilled within the Notes section of the Invoice.

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Joe
Message 7 of 18

It’s ridiculous to not let small business owners backdate their accounting entries. Nobody has time to enter their cash transactions every day. Small business owners typically set aside one or two days in a month to reconcile their accounting. For tax purposes and proofs of income, it’s essential that we be able to make these general journal accounting entries. If Square wants to provide end-to-end accounting and cash management for small businesses, then you need to make it easier for us to account for other income that’s coming from outside your processing umbrella. 

Message 8 of 18

Thanks for adding your voice here, @CMSBC - we here you. This has always been a constant dialogue from our side, considering so much feedback from Sellers. 

We have merged all requests here into this thread. Should any changes come down the pipeline for editing records of transaction time-stamps, we will update everyone here. Thanks again!

Joe
Message 9 of 18

You guys need to fix this.  

Message 10 of 18

HI @richlasers - thanks for adding your voice here. For clarity, I don't foresee Square adding this feature into the future. For security purposes, Square time-stamps each individual transaction, including Invoices, in order to reflect the specific time that transactions were taken. 

That being said, should anything change - we will reach back out here and notify everyone on this thread. Thanks again!

Joe
Message 11 of 18

As a retired CPA with a tax specialty, who now owns a very tiny in-house bakery, let me urge you to please consider allowing users to enter dates manually. We *don't* all use point-of-sale with real-time posting. We *do* do batch paperwork, writing invoices to be delivered in the next few days along with product, or entering payments when checks are actually deposited. From the IRS perspective, timing is hugely important. From our perspective, trying to reconcile, particularly across fiscal years, is a huge pain in the neck. 

Message 12 of 18

It's very frustrating that Square is sticking to their position on this.

I don't care if Square shows a note about when the transaction was actually entered in the Square system. Keep that. Fine.

However, there is no excuse for recording transactions in the month entered rather than recording them in the month of the transaction.

I just entered some invoices (cash payments) that I received at the end of December. I backdated the transaction date to be accurate. But Square reports shows those transactions as having occurred in January, and there's now way to alter that, which is ridiculous.

I have to report this income for 2022 because it was earned in 2022. But Square pretends that they know best and refuse to generate accurate reports based on the transaction dates reported by the business owner. So I have to manually recalculate my 2022 yearly report and my Dec 2022 report, AND remember in January 2024 to manually recalculate the 2023 yearly report and the January 2023 report.

Absolutely ridiculous, Square!

Message 13 of 18

Yes I agree we need to be able to do this......

Message 14 of 18

Hi @Blended - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

Just to make sure I am understanding your request correctly here: Are you wanting to edit the date on an Invoice that has already been sent to the customer or edit the date on an Invoice that has already been paid?

If the Invoice has not yet been paid, you do have the ability to edit the date before the payment is completed.

Please let me know! I'll keep an eye out for your reply 👀

Violet
Message 15 of 18

I want to be able to edit a date on an invoice that was paid but was never sent to match the paid date or the service date.

Message 16 of 18

Hi @Blended,

Thanks for stopping by. Happy to answer this for you. 

There currently is not a way to backdate a paid invoice. The only workaround in this case would be to notate within the notes section of the invoice.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 17 of 18

I am having the opposite problem. If I go into an invoice to make a change (ie email address), the system changes the invoice date to today's date. How can I make it stop changing that?

Message 18 of 18