x

Barcode scanner troubleshooting: Motorola LS2208

I bought all the hardware together from Square Up so it would be compatible including the iPad. The LS2208 is not syncing with the ipad.  Help.. I've turned on bluetooth, scanned the suggested Socket Bluetooth CHS 7Ci bar code.  Unplugged, re-plugged.

It's fully charged over night too.

Message 1 of 23
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Sorry to hear that @IEA

Connecting the barcode scanner should be pretty straight-forward, so there isn't too much troubleshooting we can try. 

First start with these tips: 

1. Make sure Square Stand is plugged into an accessories hub, and that the hub is plugged into a power adaptor. Ensure that the power adaptor is plugged into a grounded three-pronged outlet. If your iPad is not charging when inserted into the Square Stand, please let me know.
  2. Clear the Square Stand accessory port of debris and dust.
  3. Plug the bar code scanner into a different port on the accessories hub.

If your Square Stand receives power and you continue to have trouble with your bar code scanner, you can contact Motorola for a warranty replacement. You can contact Motorola at the following number: 1.800.653.5350 

Hope that helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Square

Best Answer

Sorry to hear that @IEA

Connecting the barcode scanner should be pretty straight-forward, so there isn't too much troubleshooting we can try. 

First start with these tips: 

1. Make sure Square Stand is plugged into an accessories hub, and that the hub is plugged into a power adaptor. Ensure that the power adaptor is plugged into a grounded three-pronged outlet. If your iPad is not charging when inserted into the Square Stand, please let me know.
  2. Clear the Square Stand accessory port of debris and dust.
  3. Plug the bar code scanner into a different port on the accessories hub.

If your Square Stand receives power and you continue to have trouble with your bar code scanner, you can contact Motorola for a warranty replacement. You can contact Motorola at the following number: 1.800.653.5350 

Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 23

ok me a couple attempts to par the scanner as well.  Try turning on the scanner and then leting it sit for 3-5 min before pairing it.  This made a difference for me.  

Message 3 of 23
Square

@AdvUrgent - Thanks for the tip! 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 23

I just purchased the Square Stand to use for my business. I was hoping to use my current barcode scanner but it wasn't compatible. I then bought the Motorolla Symbol LS2208 scanner because it is the recommended one to use for the Stand. Everything is plugged in, the scanner beeps when the USB cord is connected but the Square POS still says that the scanner is not found. Any ideas? Thanks.

Message 5 of 23
Admin

Hey @Robert71

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the bar code scanner!

I've moved your post to this thread. If you haven't already can you try the troubleshooting steps that Spenser has outlined above?

If you've tried all of these steps and you're seeing a message that your barcode scanner is 'not compatible' you'll need to reset your barcode scanner.

The steps to reset your scanner are in this Support Center article: Connect Recommended Hardware to Square Stand. Scroll all the way down to Troubleshoot the USB Bar Code Scanner for a step-by-step guide to reset the Motorola Symbol LS2208.

Hope this helps get the scanner up and running. Let me know if you're still having trouble! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 23

Same here. My existing barcode scanner didn't work with Square. So I purchased a new Symbol ls2208. It is not recognized by Square. I know that there is no issue with the scanner itself as it works with other devices. I tried resetting it and settings it to HID interface, but no luck. It is frustrating and I am thinking of switching my POS.

Message 7 of 23

Hi demoire, did you ever find a way to make this work?  I have the same scanner with the same problem.

Cheers.

Message 8 of 23

I scrolled all the way down to the bottom of this article and did not see anything about Troubleshooting a USB BarCode Scanner. Did it get moved? It looks like you are having a lot of trouble with the LS2208.

I need someone to tell me which barcode to scan with the thing to tell it what kind of connection it is dealing with. There seem to be a half dozen options on the document that came with the scanner in my Square order.

Message 9 of 23
Super Seller

@semvaart ;

I have the DS607 2D from Zebra which is USB and Square recognizes it as a 2208. The only real difference between these 2 Scanners that I know of is mine is 2D and yours is 1D.  I had the Square POS app and al I did was plug the USB into the Square Stands Hub, Square then pops up with a message saying it is connected and worked Fine.  I have messed around with Scanner setting to lower the beep volumes and reset my device.  Try scanning the Barcode to reset to factory settings.  That is all I do when I scan the wrong Barcode and it messes my ability to scan.  Then I scan the Low Volume barcode and it works fine.

Here is a link to Zebras Quick Setup Guide : https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra_new_ia/en-us/manuals/barcode-scanners/MN000753A04ENa_ls2208-... 

The Quick Setup Guide right from Zebra also has a trouble shooting guide.

My recommendation is to print out  the Page 3 on a printer from a computer, Plug in your LS2208 to your Square Device you are using, Once it is recognized by Square, Scan the Top barcode from Page 3 of the PDF Quick Setup from Zebra.  By default the LS2208 should be in HID USB interface which is what you need with Square.  This is according to the Top of Page 4 in the linked PDF.  Then it says if this does not work the scan other barcode types which I never had to do with my Square Stands running either POS or Square for Retail Free.

Let me know if this works and we can solve this better if it does not since people still have problems, at least Now we have settings right from Zebra so everyone can start at the same place.  Good Luck.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 10 of 23

Thanks, I was able to "reinitialize" my scanner using page 3 on the Quick Start. It worked great on the first bar code. I cancelled the transaction without completing it. I am trying to make a tutorial for some of my other artists, and when I tried to repeat the session, the scanner would beep like it recognized the bar code again, but it never entered the item as purchased. It seems like the scanner is getting the information but Square is rejecting multiple reads of a single bar code.

I think Square made the bar code disappear on my POS. When I look in my item library from my computer that is not a POS, I can see the item fine. In fact, it looks like the item has a variation now that I am pretty sure I did not put into the system in my initial item load. I am trying NOT to manage inventory. I just want Square to scan and ring up whatever is presented to it.

It's just POS. I can't even use online because some of my artists have not implemented their barcodes and specific item prices yet, so we are still typing in the price from their price tag, and it's completely variable.

Thanks for your answers!

Message 11 of 23

I hope I am going to answer my own question. I Googled around some and discovered that scanners have a parameter to "remember an id forever." You can set the length of time that they remember an id if you want to reuse it again. https://supportcommunity.zebra.com/s/article/Setting-a-timeout-interval-for-when-scanning-same-and-d...

I am going to try to set the "remember this barcode" to 3 seconds tomorrow since that's probably our quickest cadence and see if that takes care of the problem I am seeing. I can't find yet where to see what parameters are set in the scanner, but if I find those, I'll post that location too.

Message 12 of 23
Super Seller

@semvaart ;

I am not sure how to do what you want to try but I have used this zebra Software to Program my Scanners for when I want a Carriage return or Enter after a scan.  I also used it to copy my settings off of one scanner and use it to Program the rest. 

Here is a Link to Zebras Scanner Programming software:

scanner-software/123scan.html 

Just make sure you have a Barcode to get you back to factory settings if something goes sideways.  🙂

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 13 of 23

The "remember the bar code" parameters were the problem. It's working now. Whew! Thanks for the programming link.

Message 14 of 23

Any word on this?  I have a Symbol LS2208 that works fine with everything EXCEPT my iPad and Square for Restaurants.  It says it is recognized, but it does not show up in the Setup screen, or work to scan in items.

Big bummer.  Anyone know of a way?  It's strange because it's the one Square sells right?

Message 15 of 23

Did anyone ever figure this out? We also bought this barscanner and could not get it to work. 

I'm not wondering if it only works with Square Retail and Square has a mistake on their website. The socket barscanner is the only one that we can get to work. 

It looks like when you read the notes for the Square POS Stand and Square Retail, it is all the same notes, so my guess is that it does not work and they need to change it to specifically say that it only works with Retail. 

Message 16 of 23

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the LS2208 bar code scanner @Retailerintal. This bar code scanner is compatible with Square Point of Sale. 

Are you getting an error message when trying to connect this scanner? Or does the Square Stand not recognize it when plugged  into the USB hub? 

Message 17 of 23

Hello,

I also purchased the LS2208 for a couple of my Square stands. My scanners are recognized with the iPads. However, both of the scanners shut down after 30-50 minutes after being plugged into the 3 port usb socket. Once I unplug it and plug it back in, it powers back up half the time or it'll stay off. If I plug it back to my Square Register (At my other location), scanner comes back on.  I have switched USB ports, I have tested both scanners on my Square register POS and my desktops and they work fine. I feel like the problem is with the USB port. Any tips would be helpful.

Thank you in advance!

Message 18 of 23

That's super weird @tvsktown

I recommend giving our Customer Success Team a call. They can send you a new USB hub for your Square Stand if you're within a year of the purchase date. 🙂

Message 19 of 23

So here’s my issue. I have the Motorola (formally Symbol) LS2208 barcode scanner. I’ve connected it to my Square Stand with iPad. It scans. But the issue is, it will only read the first digit of the barcode/SKU.

Example: The SKU is “1234567890” but when I scan the barcode, I receive this message:

SKU 1

We couldn’t find This item in your library.

I’ve tried the scanner on my windows computer and it works perfectly fine. It reads the complete barcode. I’ve been working on and researching this problem for several days now and have tried pretty much every solution I can find, but no luck. I would really appreciate any help here.

Message 20 of 23
Admin

Hey @YoreRepublic. Thanks for coming to the Community about this issue. I've actually moved your post to a relevant thread about troubleshooting the LS2208. There's a few helpful tips that might work if you haven't tried them yet.

If you continue to run into trouble, you can always reach out to our Customer Success team for some additional troubleshooting.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 21 of 23