x
Super Seller

Bounced emails?

Greetings,

I just sent an email campaign.  Noticed that there are 80 customers on my list with invalid email addresses that bounce.  How can I delete those addresses from my customer list, WITHOUT deleting the actual customer record?  I don’t want to do them one at a time, for obvious reasons. So I’m hoping that there is some automated way to accomplish this and clean up my customer list.

Thanks,

Chip

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @TheRealChipA - thanks for reaching out here again on the Seller Community! Sorry to hear you had quite a few email correspondences bounce.

At this time we do not offer a formal way to remove bounced email addresses from Customer Contact profile in bulk. The only workaround here would be to manually remove them individually.

Let us know if you have any additional questions! I am happy to flag your feedback over to our Product Teams for further visibility, as well.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Best Answer

Hi there, @TheRealChipA - thanks for reaching out here again on the Seller Community! Sorry to hear you had quite a few email correspondences bounce.

At this time we do not offer a formal way to remove bounced email addresses from Customer Contact profile in bulk. The only workaround here would be to manually remove them individually.

Let us know if you have any additional questions! I am happy to flag your feedback over to our Product Teams for further visibility, as well.

Joe
Message 2 of 24
Super Seller

@Joe Thanks for the reply.  Please do flag this to the Product Teams.  If they look, they will see that quite a few of the bounced addresses “Square Network Email” addresses — ie - We sellers can’t see the actual address and can’t change it other than deleting the complete customer record.

Can you tell me if Square Marketing considers these “reachable” addresses — in other words do they count against my customer limit for the various Marketing tiers?  If so, I really (really!) think that this needs to have a fix.

For now, I guess I’ll just manually delete those 80 customer records.

Chip

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 3 of 24

Can you explain how I would know if an email is bounced back from an invoice?

Message 4 of 24

Hey there, @Solution13

Welcome to the Community!

Depending on the type of email provider you have - you will receive an "undeliverable" automated email in your inbox. Another option you will see in the details of the invoice, is that it won't be viewed. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Kassi
Message 5 of 24

You really need a better fix for this.  We should be able to remove the bounced emails.  Whether their box is full or whether they blocked square messages, it still bloats the numbers.  

Message 6 of 24

There really needs to be a way to bulk delete unsubscribed & bounced email contacts. I have over 100 emails that I am paying for with email marketing! PLEASE FORWARD

Message 7 of 24

so this thread looks like its 2 years old. Have you solved deleting bounced email contacts 

Message 8 of 24
Super Seller

@jtrietsch10 Unless there is some new, unannounced feature my original issue is still unresolved.  My experience with Square is that if a post gets minimal or no attention from them, they seem to be uninterested in resolving it.  Also, if they say it is “not on the roadmap” or that “it works as designed,” you can be pretty sure that is the last word on the issue as far as they are concerned.  That’s not a complaint, just an observation that is reinforced over a long time, and I’m a firm believer in living in reality and not my ideal fantasy world.  I have two or three other such issues that have been pretty much ignored.  In all cases, after about a month I take the hint (silence = go away) and do one of two things — figure out how to work around the issue, or remove that particular functionality from my account and find a third party who does it better.  Much less drama and angst!

At this point, the only thing I can tell you is that if you have a bunch of invalid email addresses on your list that are bouncing consistently, print that list and delete them manually one-by-one.  It’s clunky, unnecessary and frustrating.  But it gets the job done.

Best,

Chip

Chip

Website
Facebook
Message 9 of 24

I've been with square for about ten years. this is a different account which I need to use a lot of emails to find new business. I've got over 20k contacts and about 4K of them bounced. one by one is clunky.  I can tell you the squeaky wheel gets the grease if enough squeak. So I was just bringing this issue back to light for them. I did find a better and cheaper way to send these emails, however I do like working it through square, they just need to step up. 

thanks Jim  

Message 10 of 24
Beta Member

Hi Joe - is there any update to this? Just had 61 bounces and would love to not have to manually handle each customer account to remove them. 

Thanks so much!

Katie

Message 11 of 24

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @BuzzMO I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 12 of 24

Why are the e-mails bouncing to begin with?

Message 13 of 24
Super Seller

Hi @ag818.  Lots of reasons.  The customer changes or deletes the email address we have on file.  Their inbox is full.  Their email server is returning any number of other errors.  In any case, they are unreachable via email tag that address.

Chip

Website
Facebook
Message 14 of 24

Will square update this?  We pay for square marketing based on emails in the list and it seems pretty wrong of square not to offer an easy way to udpate that list so it is accurate as it may change our monthly billing

Message 15 of 24
Super Seller

Hi @flounderbrewing.  There is a formal feature request into Square to give us this capability.  Here is a link to it.  Please go there and like/upvote it.  On, and everyone else in this thread please do the same.

However, in another thread I did propose a short-term workaround that will do what you want for now, while we wait for Square to add the capability.  It’s a little manual work, but not nearly as much manual work as unsubscribing a lot of customers manually.  I’m copy/pasting it here.

When you view a campaign report, you can export a list of all subscribers to a CSV.  That list shows statistics like last opened, number of times opened, and even a column for “bounced.” 

You could export two things:

1. The marketing campaign CSV report I mentioned above
  2. Your current customer list CSV

You could then use a spreadsheet to clear the Customer CSV “email address” field for every email address marked “Yes” in the bounced column of the Marketing Campaign CSV, as well as change the field Email Subscription Status to “Unsubscribed” for those.  Then you’d need to re-upload ONLY those customers whose email address was blanked out — not the whole customer list.  Here’s a link to a help article about importing customer data.

This will have the effect of removing customers with bounced email addresses so that you don’t pay for them in future campaigns.  I know it’s not the perfect solution you are looking for, but it does work.

Let me know if you have any questions about how to implement that.  You might need to enlist the assistance of someone who is good with spreadsheets.

Regards,

Chip

Website
Facebook
Message 16 of 24

I'm currently participating in a few square email marketing campaigns. My dashboard report shows emails that bounced and customers that unsubscribed.  I would like to delete these two classes of contacts from customer directory. Is there a way to do so without having to delete each contact one by one? On the report page, I seem unable to select or delete contacts. In my directory, I can filter through certain categories (last visited, etc) and can group by import but can't seem to filter via unsubscribed customers. How can I delete my unsubscribed and bounced contacts from my email campaign from the directory all at once? Doing so one by one is very time consuming.

Message 17 of 24
Alumni

Hello @Krongard,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community. Welcome.

Let me look into this with our Loyalty Team and I will be back as soon as I have an update or potential workaround. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 18 of 24

Hello! this question is 3 weeks old and I might have missed a response. About 46% (!) of our emails are bouncing and even tho I have verified them with the recipient, the Square report shows that they bounced and were not delivered (even tho the email is correct). 

How can I mass delete these bounced emails so we don't continue to send? We are worried about spam accusations. 

I guess I'd also like to know WHY Square can't deliver these emails to these verified addresses. Thanks!

Please answer. 

Message 19 of 24
Admin

Sorry for the delay @sheryl222! I moved your post to this thread where Joe actually answers this question above.

Typically when our emails aren't received, it's either because they're being blocked by the recipient's email provider or their inbox is full. It's usually something that they need to address with their email provider.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 20 of 24

Hi Nika,

I just sent a mass email and out of 2300, 300 or so bounced.  So of the names have merged after them.  One of the emails is mine and it said that mine bounced too.  So I’m really confused about why all these are being bounced.

Dena

Message 21 of 24