x

What products are allowed in Square's early access CBD Program?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: CBD Oils and Balms - Ok with Square?

I'm in a professional forum where we are discussing whether our Square accounts will be terminated for retailing commercially available CBD products such as the balms from CBDclinic.co or ingestible oils such as https://realscientifichempoil.com/ . 

To my knowledge these products contain no THC which is the psychoactive compound in cannabis, and are therefore legal. Can you please advise us on the matter?

Message 1 of 138
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Update (10/3/19):

Good news, folks! We're launching an early access program to support the sale of some CBD products! 🎉

Generally speaking, sellers in the program can accept payments and carry items that meet the following requirements:

• Hemp and hemp-derived CBD products that have less than 0.3% THC in all states excluding Idaho and South Dakota. Payment acceptance is for the US only at this time.
  • No marijuana or marijuana derived products; products that contain more than 0.3% THC, illegal drugs and products that otherwise violate Square’s Payment Terms.
  • No hemp flower.
  • Included items cannot make health claims.

For more details on eligibility, head over to this resource in our Support Center: Accepting Payments for CBD in Square Early Access Program.

👉 To complete an application form and request an invite to join, go to to www.squareup.com/solutions/cbd, then click Get Started👈

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on this endeavor! We're excited to help our sellers by offering a reliable solution for CBD sales.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 75 of 138
137 REPLIES 137

Hellloooooo!!!????  Square.....this is your opportunity calling.....will you please pick up the phone?

Message 43 of 138
Alumni

Updated: January 2019

Though the US and Canada recently made changes to certain laws about the use of certain cannabinoid derivatives, CBD and Hemp products are still not supported on Square's platform due to the obligations we have with card networks, and other financial institutions. Though our team regularly revisits these conversations with our critical network and financial partners, we do not have a timeline on when they may become supported.

Should we make a change to our Terms of Service to support CBD and Hemp products, we will absolutely update this thread with the news. However, until further notice, these products are still considered a violation of our Terms of Service, and our Compliance team will take actions on any accounts where it finds an account in violation. (This includes using Point of Sale to manage cash-only transactions for CBD/ Hemp products.)

We really appreciate your patience and understanding on these policies, though we know it's not the news you want to hear. For more context into why certain products and industries are not supported, please read Why Can't Square Support All Businesses? For more details on specific products, please see Prohibited Goods and Services with Square Point of Sale. Finally, if you have specific questions related to products associated with your account, please email our Customer Success team.

Message 44 of 138

If changes are made to TOS will past infractions be forgiven if the infractions were made on the the specific changed Terms?

Message 45 of 138
Square Community Moderator

@Bricktowncandy We don't have information around this currently, but it's something worth talking about in the event we decide to make changes around our TOSV. 

If anything new comes up, we'll be sure to announce it for everyone. 

Message 46 of 138

Hello Katieand -  can you please clarify your answer for me?  Are you saying that even though the US recently changed its laws and now allows the sale of hemp products, Square will not support the sale of any hemp products?  The Terms of Service don't address hemp products. Thank you!

Message 47 of 138
Alumni

Hi @ANNE421 - This is correct. As stated in @katieand's post:

Though the US and Canada recently made changes to certain laws about the use of certain cannabinoid derivatives, CBD and Hemp products are still not supported on Square's platform due to the obligations we have with card networks, and other financial institutions.

Please let us know if you any other questions!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 48 of 138

Thanks Puka - what about hemp products that do not have CBD?

Message 49 of 138
Admin

Hi again @ANNE421, go ahead and give our Customer Success team a call so we can learn more about the products you're selling, and confirm for you if they are supported with Square. Thank you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 50 of 138

I have read the TOS and the prohibited items list, both of which do not direclty address CBD or Hemp in the document. 

So, since this item is legal and doesn't fall into the realm of "illegal activity" - how, specifically, would we be violating the TOS? 

Message 51 of 138

Hi Everyone, 

I’ve been reading through this thread with interest as one of my customers that I am designing a website for is a CBD based business with oils and balms etc. 

i have read the TOS through numerous times and from what I can see there should be no reason that these products are restricted. 

If the product is not age restricted and the product is not illegal then why are they unable to be brought?

Message 52 of 138

Any updates?

Message 53 of 138

Have there been any changes in this policy?
Message 54 of 138

I heard square changed the rules. News coverage and such, can you say wether or not I can?  Elavon has stopped permitting it after the end of May. Looking for an easy transition. 

Message 55 of 138

Are you looking for Beta participants for the pilot CBD payment processing program? I had to stop my online business in march 2019 due to no payment processing available, but would love to get it started back up!

Thank you for your time,

-Dave

Message 56 of 138
Admin

@cbd-arrival and @SnapdragonHemp

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Community regarding the sale of cannabidiol (CBD).

We are currently working with a small number of Sellers via an invite-only trial program to support the sale of some CBD products. Our program is full, but we'll be sure to share further updates here in the Seller Community as they become available.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 57 of 138

Kelly so you work for square? I would love to be part of it, have lab tests etc

Message 58 of 138

I saw the terms are being updated and set to change on July 9th. In these terms I see nothing about the sale of CBD being restricted. 

Can you please advise if this means there is progress? 

We haven’t heard anything more since the beta program began? 

Thanks so much! 

Rikki

@SeshStreet 

Message 59 of 138
Admin

@SeshStreet

We do not have any specifics on this at this point. If/when there are specific details that can be shared around CBD sales, it will be announced in the Product Updates.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 60 of 138

Is this still invite-only? We are very curious about using square for our CBD based business.  

Message 61 of 138
Admin

@autumn_benjamin

At this time, yes this is an Invite only Beta. We can definitely note your interest and let the team know. 

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 62 of 138

Thank you Kelly, my team and I over at www.viiacbd.com have been quite unhappy with our processors and it would be a dream to have the opportunity to work with Square

Message 63 of 138