x

Can I Apply the Same Discount Multiple Times in One Transaction?

How do I apply multiples of the same discount to a sale?

I offer a $0.43 discount for customers who return their bottles. It works ok until a customer tries to return more then 1 bottle.

If I set the discount price as undefined then I can manually input a discount, but multiples of 0.43 arne't the easiest to calculate on the fly.

Help please.

Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Wayward - Unfortunately you can only apply a specific discount to a given sale once.

It sounds like you're using the most common work around, which is to create a variable discount by leaving the value of the discount $0.00. This will prompt you to enter the value of the discount based on how many bottle redemptions were included on the transaction.

Hopefully we can get something rolled out in the future to help with this, so I'll pass this over to our Discounts team and try advocating to get it prioritized. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Wayward - Unfortunately you can only apply a specific discount to a given sale once.

It sounds like you're using the most common work around, which is to create a variable discount by leaving the value of the discount $0.00. This will prompt you to enter the value of the discount based on how many bottle redemptions were included on the transaction.

Hopefully we can get something rolled out in the future to help with this, so I'll pass this over to our Discounts team and try advocating to get it prioritized. 

Message 2 of 39

@Russell

This is the work around I presently use, but my staff has to add multiples of $0.425 on a calculator and enter that custom amount.

It slows checkout, negativley impacting the customer experience and is a general pain in the a**

If I could offer an after tax discount then staff would be adding multiples of 50c. Or even better, if I could enter multiples of the same discount then staff could just hit the "bottle return" button the correct amont of times. I get better tracking, with less chance of error or a negative customer interaction.

Message 3 of 39
Alumni

I hear you on that, @Wayward. You could also set several discounts (1 X, 2 X, 3X, etc.) and leave the variable discount for unusual quantities of bottles. I know this is not ideal, but it will let you keep your bottle redemption program going. 🙂

Message 4 of 39

We have the same issue. I run a concession stand and we give discounts for Combo deals, and just ran into the issues over the weekend. Thank you for some sort of work around. However, there defiantly needs to be a better option for give muti discounts on the same sale.

Thanks,
Nicole Howell
Concession manager

Message 5 of 39
Beta Member

We give a combo discount of $1 for the purchase of three items together. I created the discount, however, we can only apply it once per transaction though sometimes people buy more than one combo. How can I use the discount more than once?

Message 6 of 39
Square Community Moderator

Hi @shumble

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as one of your fellow sellers had the same question. It's currently not available, but our Discounts team is keeping an eye on seller interest around this. 

You can apply a specific discount to a given sale only once. Check out the workaround in the previous response, and let me know if that works for you.

Message 7 of 39
Beta Member

Please please PLEASE work on this.

Just let us press more then once on the discount. I can't imagine it will take a developer more than half an hour to fix and it will save users so much time and headache!

Message 8 of 39

I would like to chime in that this feature would be GREATLY appreciated. We give a discount for someone bringing their own mug - which works fine for one customer at a time, but not for more than one person bringing their own mugs and coming in together.

Message 9 of 39
Beta Member

We have this issue as well, since we offer a student and teacher discount per drink, and sometimes they order together.  

Our first workaround was to make multiple discount buttons, each one with the 50¢ off, but a different button.  But then we were limited to the number of buttons I made and took up a lot of space on the order screen.

Then, we instead changed our size modifiers on each drink, so instead of 3 choices (Small, Regular, Large) we now have 6 (adding Student Small, Student Regular, Student Lg).  It is the best workaround for us so far -- except that whenever an item changes or there is a price change, it's twice as much work for us and twice as many chances for us to make a mistake.

I know Square seems to want to keep a lot of these useful features for their overpriced register systems, but we need enhancements to the discount and coupon systems.  Basic POS systems can do automatic combo discounts, for example -- and Square is far, far behind.

Message 10 of 39

You said it much better than I did. Thank you. We have the exact same issue, and thank you for your work around ideas. Since ours is for each and every drink we sell - adding all of these price variations sounds kind of ridiculous...but once they are in probably easiest for now. 

Message 11 of 39
Beta Member

The best solution for both of us, in this case, is another feature sellers have been asking for for years in these forums, and Square has been ignoring the numerous pleas:  Allowing a negative modifier on an item, or allowing a dollar-amount discount on an individual item (they only allow percentages now).  This way, you don't have to go to a different item or screen.  Choose a size, then click the negative modifier or the discount.  It's a long overdue feature that I have seen forum posts requesting for over 2 years.

Message 12 of 39

I would like to be able to add a .20 cent discount for BYO cup encouragement. At this time, since it is not a percentage discount, I am only able to add this once to a transaction which is very frustrating - this will encourage customers bringing more than one reusable cup to split transactions into multiple transactions, costing me a lot more per the new Square fee system...which will already be costing us an extra $20K+/year!  I'm not terribly interested in creating a work-around where we have to take extra time and energy to select a variable of each Will Square please consider improving this?

Message 13 of 39
Square Community Moderator

Hey there! Thanks for posting this. I really hear your frustration and I understand where you are coming from as this does seem like a difficult limitation at times. I have merged your thread with an existing one that has this feature request being tracked, but there is another workaround you can use that would be more efficient than running multiple transactions. 

Same with the workaround in this thread, you can create a variable priced discount and simply add the amount of your cup discount in at the moment, keeping everything in one sale. 🙂 I know that it is not the exact feature that you are looking for, but it really can save you time and eliminate the frustrations with multiple sales. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 39

We really need this, it looks like this has been a.need for many years, I have come to expect a little more from Square.

Message 15 of 39

Good afternoon,

I have a couple categories of discounts, such as "military", or "vendor", etc.

My problem is, if I enter a fixed amount for a discount, I can only use it once, and not repeatedly in the same purchase.

That means, if I offer a $2 discount per item, and the person buys 3 items, I can't get the discount to let me change the quantity to "3", for a total $6 discount.

I've made it a "variable" discount, but then, I have to calculate and enter it each time.  I don't want future employees to have to make these calculations.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 39
Admin

Thanks for your post, @Chef_Giovanni, and welcome to Seller Community!

This is currently a feature request, so I'm merging your post into another thread regarding this. If anything changes that will make it easier for you to get notified quickly.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 17 of 39
Beta Member

Hi, has this been an added feature yet? I am having the same exact problem as Chef_Giovanni. I have a specific coupon I give for schools and if a few kids come in together I can only use the coupon once, when I need to apply it to each item or even just be able to continue to select the same coupon the number of times I need to during a transaction. I wasn't sure what thread this was merged to and was looking for an answer to this question as well. Thanks!

Message 18 of 39

Please make this a feature! Maybe a quantity can be associated with a discount, just like it is on items?

Message 19 of 39

I think this feature would help us as well.  We offer group rates, say $2 off per skater.  Sometimes the group pays individually as opposed to all on one bill.  So say for instance a family within a church group is paying for 5 skaters, I would like to hit the $2 off discount 5 times within that transaction.

Message 20 of 39

Square, if you are reading this, it's been several years since folks have asked for multiple discount capability, and still it's not available!!! Get someone on this, please. I need the ability to record a transaction and deduct multiple types of fees (for accurate record keeping) and Square only lets me apply the fee deduction one time. In addition, I have a set of books that, when purchased together, has a discounted price. I can only apply the discount one time, so if a customer purchases two sets, I have to do a whole separate sale. 

Last, and perhaps not related, I can't see how to apply a percentage item to one single item instead of a whole sale. So, if I want to mark down one item or offer a special discount on that one item, I can't figure out how to do it. Any help on that one would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, get this discount thing straightened out!!! Seems so backwards for what you must believe is a forward thinking company!

Message 21 of 39