x

Can I Apply the Same Discount Multiple Times in One Transaction?

How do I apply multiples of the same discount to a sale?

I offer a $0.43 discount for customers who return their bottles. It works ok until a customer tries to return more then 1 bottle.

If I set the discount price as undefined then I can manually input a discount, but multiples of 0.43 arne't the easiest to calculate on the fly.

Help please.

Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Wayward - Unfortunately you can only apply a specific discount to a given sale once.

It sounds like you're using the most common work around, which is to create a variable discount by leaving the value of the discount $0.00. This will prompt you to enter the value of the discount based on how many bottle redemptions were included on the transaction.

Hopefully we can get something rolled out in the future to help with this, so I'll pass this over to our Discounts team and try advocating to get it prioritized. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

I am replying to my own comment. I ended up creating several new discounts with similar names to be able to apply a separate one to just one sale. It's a workaround, but at least a solution.

Still can't figure out how to apply a discount to one item one sale without discounting the entire sale. Anyone got that figured out?

Message 22 of 39
Beta Member

That one is possible. When you ring up the item on POS, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen on the item detail entry, you can click the percentage discount on for an item individually there. 

Message 23 of 39

All of my discounts do not appear on the item detail screen, which is what perplexes me, and I don't see any way to add them. They are listed under discounts, but all discounts are not available for individual "items". So I have to go to the discount list and select. But the discount created for a percentage off, if selected from the list, applies to the entire sale, not the one item. Thoughts?

Message 24 of 39
Admin

@Grant1885 When you click on "Current Sale" at the top, you can select any items in the sale and toggle off a discount for whichever items you choose.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 25 of 39

Ok, forgive me. In the checkout/cart, I don't see "current sale" at the top. Only the option to "add customer".  I'm confused because for any given item, some of the available discounts come up in the details, but not all, and the one I am interested in, a variable percentage discount, is not one of them!!! Thanks for your help...

Message 26 of 39
Admin

@Grant1885 Here's an image of the main page from an iOS device. Which device/hardware are you using?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 27 of 39

We operate on an Ipad

Message 28 of 39
Beta Member

Please let us know if there are any updates on this! We do .35 cent discounts on refills and cannot apply it currently to more than one cup.

Message 29 of 39
Square Community Moderator

@user12345 welcome to the Seller Community! Right now, we do not have any updates to share. 

With the Square app, discounts can only be applied to a sale once, so the ability to apply a discount multiple times isn’t currently available.

In the meantime, you can create uniquely named, variable discounts and save them to your item library within the app. To create a variable discount, leave the amount field blank. You can then set the custom discount at checkout.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 30 of 39
Beta Member

At this point I’m hoping to just get confirmation that this extremely simple and much needed feature request has been denied and will not ever be a feature.  I‘ve been checking this community since 2017 for this long long long awaited feature request to come through and it would be easier to stop waiting for it and move on. I’ve been holding out and I’d just like a firm yes or no that it will be added or not. Thanks 

Message 31 of 39
Beta Member

They don't do that sort of thing.  They never admit when they're wrong.  😉

Message 32 of 39
Beta Member

Literally it's mind boggling. This is one of THE MOST SIMPLE things a POS should be able to do. This is equivalent to not having having an option to calculate return change to a customer. It's a discount. Everywhere you go there are places that use/apply multiple discounts in a single sales ticket. How this is not possible to do in square just blows me away. It's a shame because this is the single thing that has stopped me from switching completely over to them as my POS. I have teens that work for me and the hole variable discount and making up names and work arounds, that spells disaster for me. 

Message 33 of 39

We are mostly a service business, but also have a small retail space in our building.  We sell handmade soaps and bath bombs, for $3.50 each, or 2 for $6, or 3 for $8.50.  None of the previous work arounds are seeming to be possible in my situation because the discount can either be a variable price or only on specific items, but not both, which means our customers can only use the discount once, even if they buy 12 soaps...  This is extremely frustrating, because they don't want to have to check out more than once, and it is very time-consuming, slowing down the checkout process and making customers unhappy.

I need a solution for this as soon as possible, because the gift-giving season is upon us, and we will lose sales if it is not resolved.

Thanks!

Debbi

Mystic Float Wellness Center

Canton, Ohio

Message 34 of 39

Hey @MysticFloat_Deb,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to the Seller Community 👋 🙂

Automatic discounts can help here! You can create rules, and add eligible items the discount rules applies to, so that when multiple soaps, and/ or bath bombs are added, a discount is automatically applied to the checkout. Get started by following the steps in this article. Please let us know how you go!

Message 35 of 39
Beta Member

It is now the year 2022 and still the multiple discount issue has not been addressed.  Why do the people at Square prefer to not take care of this?  This problem costs me time in having to ring up separate transactions simply to apply the same discount multiple times.  Do we need to threaten to change to another platform?  Besides our ice cream shop that uses Square, we own a neighborhood grocery that I've wanted to move to Square for years, but this issue, and another for in-house charge accounts, has been stopping us from converting.  You would think that Square would love to get an account that does nearly $750,000 in annual credit card transactions, but apparently not.  Keep dragging your feet, Square.  We'll keep using our current POS in the meantime and sending our fees to another credit card processor.

Message 36 of 39

We have the same issue and the same need! I assumed that there was a simple solution that I was missing, but after reading through this thread I can see that we are not alone and that help may not be coming...

Message 37 of 39

Hello @KeystoneKidspac- Welcome to the Seller Community!

At this time, this is a feature request as we don’t have the ability to add multiple discounts to one transaction. Feel free to provide us with more details related to your use case in our Ideate Board so that this request can gain more visibility to our products team. 

Have a great day. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 38 of 39

We all understand you don't have the ability. How can you not CREATE the ability?? It seems like a simple request. Instead we all have to come up with workarounds. We all explained previously. I have an item that has one price individually. If I bundle it with another item, there is a discounted price. So I have a discount created to do that. But if I wanted to sell two of those bundles, that discount does not work. So I created a second discount with an altered name to apply to the second or third bundle. Or, if I wanted to give an extra discount on that item, and there are other items in the cart, the discount is applied to the whole cart, not just the individual item on sale. The only solution to this is to inconvenience the customer and ring up a separate sale for the discounted item.. You can't tout yourself as the superior POS system and then not enable these simple but necessary fixes.

Disappointed.
Message 39 of 39