x

Can I Turn or Import Regular Items into Variations?

I have spent a good amount of time creating individual items but now realize, they may be better organized as variations instead.

The items that already exist individually already have descriptions and images, hence why I don't want to start all over again.

Is there a way to import regular individual items into variations somehow and without losing the images and descriptions?

The items are miniatures.  Currently they are listed as such, individually (each has its own SKU):

D&D Miniature:  Goblin

D&D Miniature:  Wraith 

D&D Miniature:  Fighter

What would be nice is to have it listed as such with D&D Miniatures as the Main Item then the types listed as variations below it as such:

(Main item) D&D Miniatures

(Variations) Goblin

Wraith

Fighter

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @OrcChieftain

Welcome to the Community. 

Yes, you will be able to edit those variations in the exported spreadsheet of your Item Library. It will override and allow you to bulk add them. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Oh yeah?  That’s good news!  Now the question is how do I edit it?  I see some things say variation already 

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

@OrcChieftain

Whenever you export the Item Library will give you a spreadsheet that you can edit. You will see a column that says "variation" and you will be able to make your edits there. 

After you've made your changes, save, then import the spreadsheet to the Item Library. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

I have tried multiple ways to move "ITEMS" into Variations after they have already been in the system as Items. I cannot get this to work and still keep the TOKEN number. After setting them up in a spreadsheet and importing, I get a bunch of individual items with individual variations, not a consolidated ITEM with variations below it. The only way I have been successful in my many attempts to do this is to delete the TOKEN number and start over; that seems to work fine. 

So I guess my question is, how important is it to keep the TOKEN number?

www.artisansindy.com
Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hey @Mick_Indy-

The token number is just so that if you choose the 'Modify Item Library' option instead of 'Replace Item Library' option, our system can identify the item by the token number, and modify what needs to be modified. Without the Token, our system wouldn't know what to modify. It would probably just create new items.

It sounds like you've found something that works for you, but if not, I would suggest calling our Square for Retail team. I used to be on that team at Square, and they specialize in inventory organization. They can take a look at your account, and help set it up in a way that works best for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 6 of 6