x

Can I accept QR code self-serve sales AND use the Shop All layout for transactions with shipping?

I am interested in using my site for two main purposes -

1) Self Serve QR code setup with the Shop Online template for customers who see my products in my friends' stores and want to purchase and take with them.

-AND-

2) Online product sales nationwide with appropriate shipping details for in-stock items or custom orders.

Is there a way to set this up?  In my imagination, QR code scanning could take customers to an Order Online template, while normal web traffic would see a more "standard" Shop All template.  Is it possible to have both?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thanks for the clarification. 😊The QR codes through your store will only work with the Order Online template. I believe you may run into a problem if you setup the QR codes, then switch to the Shop All template. That said, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the Order Online template for your website unless you have a lot of categories. If that is the case your best bet is to go with the Shop All template. 

If you decide to use the Shop All template for your website you could just use a third party QR generator for your friends' shops. I don't have any personal recommendations, but you can Google "QR code generator" to find tons of free options. This would allow you to link to a Square Checkout Link for each item, or you can setup the third party QR code to pull up the specific item details page on your website. I guess it all depends on how many items you expect a customer to purchase at once. Checkout Links do not allow you to add multiple items to a cart, and will only process the cart for the one item. 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to the Community, @SuttonAuthentic 👋

I just want to make sure I'm understanding, but you do want to use the Self Serve option with the Order Online template, but you also want to use the Shop All template for standard orders? Will the QR code only be used in your friends' store, and how would you fulfill the item? Do you have inventory in these stores as well? 

Message 2 of 6

Hi @BernadetteA !

I believe you understand correctly. 

The scenario that I'm working to create is this:

Most of my transactions will take place online, nationwide, and will be either products I have in stock or products that will be made-to-order for the buyer.  Turnaround and shipping will change depending on the buyer's location and product.  The buyer experience should be a reasonably normal ecommerce experience - come to my site, navigate, add to cart, check out.

My friend also has a store locally, and I will have a dedicated section in that store with my products on hand.  When her customers see something they want in my section, they can scan my Order Online QR code and purchase it (paying directly to me through Square).

I hope that makes sense.  I know it's not the most standard approach, but I'd like to try.

I appreciate your help!

Message 3 of 6

Best Answer

Thanks for the clarification. 😊The QR codes through your store will only work with the Order Online template. I believe you may run into a problem if you setup the QR codes, then switch to the Shop All template. That said, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the Order Online template for your website unless you have a lot of categories. If that is the case your best bet is to go with the Shop All template. 

If you decide to use the Shop All template for your website you could just use a third party QR generator for your friends' shops. I don't have any personal recommendations, but you can Google "QR code generator" to find tons of free options. This would allow you to link to a Square Checkout Link for each item, or you can setup the third party QR code to pull up the specific item details page on your website. I guess it all depends on how many items you expect a customer to purchase at once. Checkout Links do not allow you to add multiple items to a cart, and will only process the cart for the one item. 

Message 4 of 6

I appreciate the assistance.  I've continued to work through the issues, and I believe how I will proceed is as follows -

I will use one website (and corresponding Square plan) for online transactions (Site A). I will use a second website (and its own Square plan) for only purchases made in-store in the self-serve section of my friend's store (Site B).  The second site will not be search listed, and I will not link to it anywhere.  The only way to find it realistically will be to scan the QR code I provide in my friend's store.  The transactions will essentially be on the honor system.  Scan > Payment > Walk out with item.  This leads to one last main question -

Is it possible to set Site B to Self-Serve Ordering ONLY and Site A as Shipping ONLY?

So far, when I am testing Site B, it is allowing me to checkout but not choose fulfillment.  It appears to be defaulting to Delivery.

Message 5 of 6

Yes, that is possible! I suggest first checking to make sure you have your shipping setup under Settings > Fulfillment > Shipping (depending on your account type, you may just see Fulfillment > Shipping)

Next, check under Settings > Checkout (could be under Shared Settings > Checkout) then scroll down to the bottom of the page, or look for Advanced Settings, and edit the Default Fulfillment Method

Message 6 of 6