x

Can I accept bank debit cards with Square?

Can I take bank debit cards? 

The title of this post has been updated.

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@cmart ;

Simple answer is Yes as long as the Debit Card can also be used as a Credit Card to make a withdrawal from the persons bank account.

Define what you mean as a Bank Debit Card.

If the Debit card has the Visa/MC logo on them you can process them as a Credit Card.

If you are trying to use a Debit Card with a Pin for cash back, the simple answer is no.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

@cmart ;

Simple answer is Yes as long as the Debit Card can also be used as a Credit Card to make a withdrawal from the persons bank account.

Define what you mean as a Bank Debit Card.

If the Debit card has the Visa/MC logo on them you can process them as a Credit Card.

If you are trying to use a Debit Card with a Pin for cash back, the simple answer is no.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 2 of 7

Can square accept debit cards (no credit logo) without cash back?  The customer doesn’t expect cash back, they just want to use their debit card.

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Piazzaitalianma 👋 Welcome to the Seller Community!

Yes! - Square absolutely accepts debit cards. The process is identical to taking any card transaction, as mentioned above by @Candlestore the card will need to be processed as a credit card since Square doesn’t have a way to enter a debit pin number in the system. However, if the card doesn’t show a credit logo like a Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay logo it’s very possible that Square will not accept it. 

You can gather more information on the types of cards we accept here. 

We hope this was helpful, please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions. 

Have a wonderful day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

I have had people use all types of cards and they seem to work fine, but usually with a straight debit card you need to enter a pin which you cannot do with Square.  If the customer is able to use it other places without entering a PIN I would just try it.  It will either process or it will be denied or just not work.  How does their bank tell them the person can use it?  I have had people come in with Gift Cards that do not have a Visa/MC logo and worked just fine.  The only thing with those is the people ask for their balance and we cannot do that.  Or they ask after it is rejected do you know how much is available or remaining?  Again that I cannot check for the customer.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for your response @Candlestore, this will be very helpfully to @Piazzaitalianma.

We are happy to have you in our Seller Community as a great resource. 

Have a wonderful day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 6 of 7

Thanks all— the debit card in question will not work without a pin, as per the bank.  The answer therefore is that kind of debit card is not accepted by square.  

Message 7 of 7