x

Can I get new store order alerts on the Weebly or Square apps?

I’ve tried both the Square app and the Weebly app (on latest iOS) but have been unable to get either of them to issue any kind of popup, alert, banner or noise when a new store order comes in.

The Square app (v5.62) only pops up an alert if the app is restarted. This is useless.

The Weebly app (v5.58) at least appears to be able to do what I want. I have Account -> Notifications -> New Store Orders turned on, and all notifications permitted in the iPad setup app. But nothing happens when a new order comes in. The orders screen doesn’t even update automatically.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this broken somehow, or not yet implemented?

Message 1 of 9
Report Inappropriate Content
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

My phone is always in silent so I wouldn’t be sure, but the square app is where all your orders are sent to so if it’s gonna be one of them it would be that one!

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

When a  new order comes in, the Square app (iOS) doesn’t show a notification banner. If you open the app you get an alert which you can view or cancel. If you close the app without selecting either option the Square app will then have a notification banner. If you select to view the order before closing the notification is cancelled. So, if you open the app ( following an email possibly telling you that you have a new order ) and select to view the order, you will never see the notification banner. As you say, useless. This defeats the whole object of having a notification if you need to open the app before you can ( or possibly can’t ) see it.

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 3 of 9

Thank you @tonydow  It’s good to know others are seeing this - and I’m not just doing something wrong - but very bad that this is fundamentally flawed. I’ve only been using Square a few weeks and already starting to feel it was a bad choice. I can imagine this problem is irritating for many users but for us, in fast food, it’s an absolutely critical function. Every second counts. Too many missed food orders and a business could easily be destroyed. I’m now working around this by relying on the email notifications, but can I ask if anybody knows if this is going to be fixed?

Message 4 of 9
Admin

Hi @NaughtyNaans, thanks for raising this. 

At the moment, as @tonydow mentions, aside from the email notifications, the Square Point of Sale app would need to be open at all time to receive order notifications. When the app is opened, you'll here a ping when the order is received and it'll also pop up on the screen.

This is a feature request currently tracked by our team. I don't have a timeline on when this will be available but I would encourage you to check out our Beta Community to join and potentially get access to new features first when we test them out.

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 5 of 9
Beta Member

So @tranguyen , if the app is open and a new order comes in which you then view, the app flag will never be seen as viewing the order cancels the flag. I know of no other app which acts in this way so surely can’t be by design. What is the feature request that is being tracked - I would suggest this is a bug rather than a feature 

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 6 of 9
Admin

Hi @tonydow, thanks for your reply!

At the moment, our team are tracking the feature request to have the order notifications appear as a banner even when the app is closed, rather than appearing only when the app is open. I can definitely see how this is not the most intuitive workflow and I've reached back out to our team for an update on this as well. 

Once I have more information to share, I'll be sure to update this thread. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 7 of 9

Hi, Tra. Has there been any progress on this issue? 6 weeks have passed since I raised this, and despite several new releases (now v5.65), the behaviour hasn’t changed. Would be grateful if you could get an estimated timeframe from the dev team.

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @NaughtyNaans,

We update the thread when we have updates to provide. It doesn't look like there's any at this time or a timeframe we can give on that feature request.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9