x

Can I make a manual card entry from Mexico?

I’m in Mexico for a couple months. a US customer wants to pay a bill. When I enter the card number, I get a message, “invalid location”.  Can I make the charge from here or do I have to wait until I’m back in the states?

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Wmeleney Yes, you cannot accept payments in another country.  If you are physically in the us, you can accept the payment of a foreign credit card, but if you physically are in Mexico the software blocks this for security purposes among other legal issues.  What you could do is have someone trusted in the US process the sale on your account for you while you are travelling.  I assume it is a US customer paying a bill in the US and you are just not in the US to pay it.

One thing you might look at is sending the customer a payment link via email from your dashboard.  The customer would be in the US paying the bill then.

Hope this helps,

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Hi Wmeleney,

I believe you may have to wait until you return - I read somewhere that you are only permitted to accept payments within your country of activation so if you created your account in the U.S., you will need to be physically located in the U.S. to process the payment.  I'm assuming the system notes your IP Address and goes from there.

JK

Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Wmeleney Yes, you cannot accept payments in another country.  If you are physically in the us, you can accept the payment of a foreign credit card, but if you physically are in Mexico the software blocks this for security purposes among other legal issues.  What you could do is have someone trusted in the US process the sale on your account for you while you are travelling.  I assume it is a US customer paying a bill in the US and you are just not in the US to pay it.

One thing you might look at is sending the customer a payment link via email from your dashboard.  The customer would be in the US paying the bill then.

Hope this helps,

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 3 of 4

Very helpful. Yes Square recognized my location. I didn’t know about the payment link on the dashboard. I’ll give that a look.  Thanks very much

Message 4 of 4