x

Can I merge existing accounts?

i currently have seven different accounts. same ein, same bank acct. but different locations. i see the add location portion, but do i need to basically leave the other accounts that are currently logged in and restart them under the new location added. or can i just link the current accounts already made and working? 

Message 1 of 40
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @DutchBros2c, thanks for surfacing this.

The option to merge existing accounts is not available at this time, even if they share the same EIN and linked bank account.

For now, I'd suggest designating which account you'd like to keep as your master account, then add new locations from your Locations tab. Once you've created the appropriate locations, you may want to deactivate any redundant accounts to keep things tidy.

Note: once you've deactivated your account, you won't have access to your payment history. Before you close an account, I recommend that you download your payment history and keep it on file.

To deactivate an account:

1. Log in to Account & Settings.
  2. Select a reason for deactivation.
  3. Enter the password currently associated with that account.
  4. Click Deactivate.

I hope this helps simplify your account setup for the long run yet I realize that the current process is pretty manual. Our product liaison team is aware of this issue and we're continuing to track requests. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns that I can help with!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @DutchBros2c, thanks for surfacing this.

The option to merge existing accounts is not available at this time, even if they share the same EIN and linked bank account.

For now, I'd suggest designating which account you'd like to keep as your master account, then add new locations from your Locations tab. Once you've created the appropriate locations, you may want to deactivate any redundant accounts to keep things tidy.

Note: once you've deactivated your account, you won't have access to your payment history. Before you close an account, I recommend that you download your payment history and keep it on file.

To deactivate an account:

1. Log in to Account & Settings.
  2. Select a reason for deactivation.
  3. Enter the password currently associated with that account.
  4. Click Deactivate.

I hope this helps simplify your account setup for the long run yet I realize that the current process is pretty manual. Our product liaison team is aware of this issue and we're continuing to track requests. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns that I can help with!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 40

My husband and I are trying to link our Square accounts to the same business. Mine was connected to a different one, but we want to combine since we do both at the same time anyway. How do we sync accounts?

Message 3 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @MonKeighBiz - thanks for reaching out and joining us here on the Seller Community! 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding merging existing accounts. Take a look at this Best Answer from Tom - he will provide some context and some extra workarounds. 

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 40

Hi Tom, is this still the case? I have two accounts, one has my transaction history and is how I take payments, the other has my website on it. I really want to merge the two accounts, but I have been told my customer service that this is not possible. I've spend HOURS building my site before realizing this was going to be an issue. I also don't want to lose my transaction history for tax purposes. 

What are my options? 

Message 5 of 40
Alumni

Hey @PickYourPoison - Stepping in for Tom. 

I'm afraid merging accounts is still not an option. To be honest, I don't see this happening in the near future, but we'll let you know when we hear good news. 

Justin
Message 6 of 40

One may be looking for 'merge customer accounts' or 'fix duplicates'.  That is possible, find Customers, check boxes of accounts to merge, click the 'merge' button in the menu. Hope this helps someone.

Message 7 of 40

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Multiple Master account and locations merging" The author has been notified via email.

I've seen this question asked and am wondering if there is an update yet....

Is it possible to merge two master accounts in which both have multiple locations yet? We created two masters accounts a couple years back without knowing that it was not possible to merge them. We have two masters accounts with 5 locations each. I would like to merge these into one Master account with all 10 locations. If this is not possible yet, when will it be? And what would be a good work around until then? We are looking to add Square Giftcards and need these to be use-able accross all ten locations.

Message 8 of 40

Bump for response

Message 9 of 40

Bump Bump for response. We really need this to get our accounting systems up-to-date.

Message 10 of 40
Alumni

Hi @RoastersCoffee - Unfortunately, there isn't an ETA on if or when this feature might be available at this time. I've flagged this thread with our Product team to track feedback and we'll make sure to add updates here as we receive them

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 11 of 40

Yes, this would be helpful for me too. We have 2 accounts created based on 2 different emails that were used to sign in, but I think everything else is the same. How to fix this issue?

Message 12 of 40

Hey @MAS3! Welcome to the Community!

If you have two different logins, that would mean there's two separate accounts that can't be merged. ☹️

You can see @Helen 's post above about transferring your item library if you need that switched over and want to delete one account. 

Ashley C
Message 13 of 40

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "merge existing accounts" The author has been notified via email.

Can we merge two existing square accounts and keep all sales data intact?

Message 14 of 40

Bump for response.

Message 15 of 40

Hello @CaseStudy, currently we do not have the ability to merge two Square accounts together.  Right now this is not on our road map. 

Message 16 of 40

What a bummer

Message 17 of 40

If we can export data, can we not import it? So we can cloes 1 master account and set it up as a location? This would allow us to retain information and history, etc.

Message 18 of 40
Admin

@mkmetz If you create a location or locations you can assign items you've already created to your new location(s).

If you create a totally new Square account you can export your item library from your existing account and import those items to your new account. The steps to transfer items between Square accounts are in our Support Center.

Hope this helps! If you have additional questions abou this please don't hesitate to reply.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 19 of 40

Why would this not be on Square's "road map" when it would be a tremendous help to it's customers and quite obviously it's an issue?  I know it's perfectly within Square's capabilities as I've worked with other processing companies that have this feature and it runs very smoothly.  It's very time-consuming to enter all the location info necessary to setup an account when  you have multiple locations.  Then to have to re-enter it all over again when you finally weed thru everything and accidently come across the multi-location option......well it's just not user friendly, is the nicest way I can think of to phrase it.  I can understand it not yet being an option, but to say it's not on the "road map" just sounds like Square doesn't value or really care much about their customers.  That is very upsetting to say the least.

Message 20 of 40

Thanks for the feedback, @aelayyan. We can make sure to forward the suggestion to the product teams. 

Message 21 of 40