x

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

Verified Answer

Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Set up specific date and time selection for Square Online orders (Pre-orders)

@lonestar31 @MCTMN 

We are currently testing Batch Processing in our Beta Community, which may help you out. This is another update to allowing pre-orders on your online store.  We'd love for you to join in the test and provide feedback.

To get started:

Please join our Square Online testing group.
Once accepted there are instructions in the group of how to get started in the test.

Verified Answer

Re: Feature request: Pre-Order Handling

Hi all! Thank you for jumping into. your thread for pre-orders and more customizable delivery/pick up options. We're excited that this feature is now moving into Beta testing, and we'd love to have you check it out.

Please take a few minutes to ready our Beta Recruiting post- and make sure you're a fit. We're looking to get his launched in the next few days. Also if you've replied to this thread, we will be sending you information on this test via DM as well.

Verified Answer

The title of this post has been edited from the original: How to set up date and time selection for Square Online orders

Hi,

We quickly built a Square/Weebly Online Store this week so that people could place contactless/curbside orders for our gelato shop. It's working great and I love that the tickets print out when it's time to make the order.

We are also implementing a local delivery service where people can preorder with us and we'll deliver it on Friday night. Right now we're doing it by email to take their item order and we respond back with a Square Invoice to capture payment. Has anyone successfully found a way to do local delivery with the Online Store platform?

It would be awesome if besides Pickup or Shipping, merchants could toggle on a Local Delivery button and the merchant could set a few options, such as "Delivery on Friday night, 4-7pm," "Delivery on Saturday afternoon, 12-6pm." Maybe with an option to assign a fee, but that's less important during this emergency response.

Thank you and be safe.

333 Comments
Square Community Moderator

Hi @BeckyVonnegut and welcome to the Seller Community!! I've merged your post with an existing thread as the ability to collect pre orders for items is currently a feature request we are tracking. 

One potential workaround you can do for this items is set a specific prep time for them that will keep the item from being ready for pickup or delivery until that specified time. So, if you have an item for pre order that will be available in 2 weeks, you can set the prep time to 2 weeks. You will need to change the prep time daily/weekly to make the item available around the same time as your release date, but it is still an option for you to consider. 

Thank you!

Totally agree - this *has* been a long-standing request and all we get is the same stock answer that it's a "feature request".  Such basic functionality should be in the 1.0 version.  I understand there are some challenges with pre-orders, such as holding the CC info for a period of time and then charging the customer when the item ships and handling stock counts, but again, this is pretty basic stuff that every e-commerce solution incorporates into their starter packages.  Fact is, apparently not enough people are leaving square/weebly over this (or other "feature requests") so there's no financial driver to get it done. It's very clear there is no intention of providing this feature, since not one developer or product manager has reached out to anyone to get further information and get to work on it.  I'm fairly certain all these requests just end up in some virtual basket full of similar messages with no intention of acting on it.  I'd actually just prefer a dose of honesty... to just say, "Sorry, not financially important to us.  We're not going to do it.  Use another service if this feature is that important to you."  At least there's integrity in the answer. Between this and a host of other "feature requests" that *never* even get addressed, we're looking to move off of this platform. Once the convenience factor wears out, you quickly realize the feature list is really shallow - and there is no real partnership here at all.  And then you look elsewhere.

I am wanting to have a one time service on a specific date. How do I let it be available for that one date only, as opposed to every day I am available?

Hey @JKGPhotography,

I moved your posts to one of the existing threads for this.

Check out some of the answers throughout the thread for options!

I just want to reply that this is also an issue we're having, and there does not seem to be a way around it. This should not be labeled as "solved" 😞

The Best Answer given is a smart work-around, but the prep time applies to ALL items, not just the family style dinners, for example. And you can add a category that is only available at certain days and times, but cannot specify the prep time. Would love to see this issue resolved.

I have complained about this so many times. Square could be getting way more money from me if they fixed that. You would think that with a software with so many great features would be able to add a calendar feature so we cAn pick specific dates for certain specials, ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE YEAR WE ARE HAVING. You would think someone is smart enough to fix that... 

Beta Member

@NeaWhiskArrow I agree with you completely. I have struggled with getting a clean shopping experience with Square since 2018. As soon as I got the hang of it, Square then merged with Weebly and with it, came the whole struggle with the turnaround issue when it comes to businesses that sell product for pickup on a later date. 

I dont feel like goin into details becuase i'm exhaused with this subject and i have my workaround that at least is letting me collect orders and just work with the jerryrigged system i have. Been at it ever since and ain't holding my breath. Go through my comment history to see my workaround and past rants. 

Square will get a solution to this issue on their own sweet time. I only signed in to express that this is a bone i've been gnawing on for 2 years and counting. You ain't alone in this, at all. 

I am needing to change my add to cart button to pre order so that people will know that items have to be ordered. I cant figure out how to make that happen please help

Hi @Stilllearning1 I've merged your post to an existing thread where you can browse for your answer. This is currently a feature request, but @PreOrder_Apps has a solution that may work well for you! Thank you!

Beta Member

I may be missing something, but I still cant see how I can have customers select a particular Day (like Oct 15) for pickup that you can use for pre-orders that get picked up/delivered on a single day.  Did anyone ever have any luck with this?   I would love to have the single day pickup feature.  Thanks in advance 🙂 -Chris