x

Can I opt out of sending digital receipts to my customers?

I don't want to send digital receipts.  Can I as a business opt out of sending receipts?   I am a coffee shop, and don't want to send everyday, small amount receipts.

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@yvsewell - While we don't currently offer the ability to remove digital receipts altogether, if you reach out directly, a supporter can disable automatic digital receipts for those customers who already have an email address address on file. This change would insure that you see the receipt screen for every transaction. At that point, you could select "No Receipt."

Having said that, there are certain federal, state, and network rules for offering receipts for purchases (namely credit/debit card purchases). While I can't provide any sort of legal advice, you may consult with your lawyer before removing this option altogether for customers.

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Square

Best Answer

@yvsewell - While we don't currently offer the ability to remove digital receipts altogether, if you reach out directly, a supporter can disable automatic digital receipts for those customers who already have an email address address on file. This change would insure that you see the receipt screen for every transaction. At that point, you could select "No Receipt."

Having said that, there are certain federal, state, and network rules for offering receipts for purchases (namely credit/debit card purchases). While I can't provide any sort of legal advice, you may consult with your lawyer before removing this option altogether for customers.

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 14

Thanks Sean. Though overall I am happy with square, I am quite dissatisfied with the receipts.  There is nowhere that requires a small business to EMAIL reciepts.   I should absolutely have the option not to.  I do not collect email addresses, and choose not to send email receipts.  Simple.

SQUARE IS CAUSING PROBLEMS IN MY ABILITY TO GIVE GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE

Message 3 of 14

NOT SOLVED  My customers are complaining.  A few examples:  One guy is in trouble with his wife because he comes to my coffee shop so often.  Now he comes to get his morning coffee, and pays for his afternoon coffee, so that he dosen't get 2 emails. 

Friday I had a woman call becuase she got an email receipt, and had not been to our shop that day.  Turned out it was a credit card shared with her mother.  We are in a medical building, and that is how she found out her mother was at the doctor.  As I am sure  you know, there are all kind of rules about patient privacy. 

Another example from today: a new security guy in our building bought something from us, got an email receipt and was mad.  He got on the phone with bank of america, and was grilling them on why they 'sold' his information. It is actually square shareing information.   If a person gives an email address to a business for receipt purposes, it should not be assumed that they are requesting an email receipt from any business from this time forward.  

Hopefully the software can be rewritten.   I will esculate my complaint.

Yikes!  Square is involving me in

To

Message 4 of 14
Square Community Moderator

@yvsewell As Sean mentioned, we can manually disable the receipts being sent automatically if you reach out to our Support Team

It sounds like you still have the automatic receipts feature enabled on your Square Account. 

Once we turn this feature off, your customers will have the choice whether or not they want to receive a receipt via email or phone number and will be prompted to enter their information after a purchase. 

Message 5 of 14

My business depends on the element of surprise. Sometimes a husband calls and orders our sign delivery as a surprise for his wife. I have to charge the credit card in advance. Some spouses share credit cards. When I charge the credit card, most of the time I get a screen that allows me to input the email address for a receipt. But about 10% of the time, I get a screen that says the customer was automatically sent a receipt. THE PROBLEM IS THAT AUTOMATIC RECEIPT SOMETIMES GOES TO THE CUSTOMER'S SPOUSE HE IS TRYING TO SURPRISE! I have lost sales because of this, including one that I lost today when the customer wanted an immediate refund when his wife got the receipt

Message 6 of 14

Heya @LawnGreeting and sorry to hear that happened with one of your customers. 

You'll only get a notice to enter an email address if one already hasn't been entered with the card before. If one has been entered with the card before, it'll automatically start sending digital receipts to that card for convenience purposes. (They opt into it the first time they enter their email address/phone number for a receipt with a Square seller.)

Our direct CS team might be able to help you to disable automatic receipts if all of your transactions are based around the element of surprise as you mentioned. You can reach out to them here.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 14
Beta Member

Same exact thing happened to me today.  A customer purchased a gift card for a surprise for her friend.  Where she got the e-mailed gift card okay, the e-mail on file for her friend received a receipt and that ruined her surprise.

Message 8 of 14
Admin

Hey @healingreigns

Welcome to the Seller Community and sorry to hear about that experience.

The option to send digital receipts is automatically enabled in your Square Point of Sale app, but you can always turn them off or back on:

1. From the Square app, visit Settings > Checkout > Signature and Receipt .
  2. Toggle on Skip Receipt either on or off depending on your preference.

Would that work? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 9 of 14

Help! Stop sending e-receipts to someone else every time I make a purchase from a vendor who uses Square. Please. 

(I don’t even ask for an e-receipt. I receive a paper receipt at the point of sale. Then a third party gets an e-receipt.  It has to stop.)

Michael Tscheekar

misha93455@gmail.com

1-19-2022

Message 10 of 14

Welcome to the Community, @MET

Thank you for reaching out about the issues you're having with your digital receipts. 

Do you know the person that is receiving your receipts? If so, there is an option at the bottom of the email receipt that says "Not your receipt?.

This will put a halt to these receipts going to the wrong person after future purchases.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 11 of 14

We would like to disable the function that sends receipts associated with our clients credit card? 

Message 12 of 14

Hi @Harborgold,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered.

Check out the Best Answer in this thread for details.

Ashley C
Message 13 of 14

The answer doesn't work. The existing thread says you call Square and that disables it. I've been doing that for a year, and every time they tell me it is disabled. Then in the future a receipt gets sent to email automatically without me entering the information. When it goes to a spouse, it ruins the surprise and my customer cancels. Square is costing me so much money in lost sales I am going to find another credit card processor. Who has a good suggestion for a company that has their act together and doesn't do this with receipts?

Message 14 of 14