x

Can I phase out the loyalty program w/out stopping it abruptly so customers don't get disgruntled?

I'd like to phase out the loyalty program by allowing people who have accrued stars to continue doing so until they have a reward to redeem. After that they would then no longer be able to acquire more stars. At the same time, I'd like to stop new people from signing onto the loyalty program. Is this possible?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Hello @addys and thanks for your question. I suppose it's possible to keep the Loyalty program running but not to add new customers. You may need to keep a close eye and turn off any Register prompts or checkout procedures to make sure you don't have any new sign-ups. Once a customer redeems their final reward, you can delete them from the rewards program. You would have to keep the Loyalty program running until your last customer redeems their last reward. The other option would be to start a transitional manual record keeping on paper and abruptly turn off the Loyalty program, but that would be a lot of paper tracking if you have many customers.

You mention that you worry about upsetting your customers if you discontinue your Loyalty Program? How long have you offered it? It sounds like they are enjoying it and you are getting repeat customers from offering this bonus? I just ask because you may be able to make some simple adjustments to make your Loyalty Program even better...

• You could adjust the point accumulation so customers earn rewards more frequently, so they return more often and make you offering the program more worthwhile.
  • You could also add or change actual rewards so it keeps your current customers more interested in your program
  • NOTE: just be sure any changes to your program are communicated to your customers

And this has been my favorite way to get customers more excited by your Loyalty program...

• You could keep your program running, but PAUSE enrollment for a few months. Advertise to your customers that because of the value of your rewards you offer, you are limiting the number of participants. Close down or pause enrollment for any new customers for a period of 3 months but continue to service your current Loyalty members. As you near the end of your pause, advertise heavily that you are temporarily opening enrollment again for a short period and encourage non Loyalty members to make a purchase and sign up for the program. Before you end the program totally, you may want to try this "pause" approach and see how your customers react.

All of these have the potential to keep people interested in your Loyalty rewards and may help increase total enrollment and engagement.

Message 2 of 2