x
jaysross

Can I print to a remote printer?

We are a taproom that does not have a kitchen. We are partnering with a local restaurant to serve food in our pub. That being said, my question is, can we enter an order in our POS and have it print a ticket to the restaurant who is also logged in to our POS account? They of couse are not on our internal network. However we would provide them with an ipad that logs into our POS account and a connected receipt printer at the restaurant. 

Is what I am trying to do even possible?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
ryanwanner Super Seller

Re: Print to a remote printer

Best Answer

If the iPads are not on the same WiFi network, this isn’t possible. It’s more of a built in WiFi security issue than a Square limitation. It would be like you being able to print to your neighbors printer when sitting in your bedroom at home—a little freaky! 

Now if if there was a way for the restaurant’s tablet you’re providing to be on your network either via a strong router or an extender, and it was logged into your account, then yes. This obviously means that they would not be able to use that tablet for their own restaurant, but could send drinks your way! 

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ryanwanner Super Seller

Best Answer

If the iPads are not on the same WiFi network, this isn’t possible. It’s more of a built in WiFi security issue than a Square limitation. It would be like you being able to print to your neighbors printer when sitting in your bedroom at home—a little freaky! 

Now if if there was a way for the restaurant’s tablet you’re providing to be on your network either via a strong router or an extender, and it was logged into your account, then yes. This obviously means that they would not be able to use that tablet for their own restaurant, but could send drinks your way! 

Message 2 of 8
slainte

Has anyone from Square weighed in on this? No offense to Ryan, but I'd like an "official" response before abandoning our plan...we also own a bar and looking to make the exact same arrangement with a restaurant about a block away.

Message 3 of 8
ryanwanner Super Seller

No offense taken, @slainte ! 🙂

Im still stuck on the fact that it’s going to be tough to pull off if your system isn’t on the same network...

That said, you may want to look into doing a special Online store that you can log into to send orders to the restaurant. 

Hey @katieand@Helen or anyone else on the admin team: any insights?

Message 4 of 8
Admin

Hello @slainte 🍀 Helen here from the Community team.

I can absolutely see how this would be useful but there isn't a way to send the order to a printer if it's on a different network. You could use Open Tickets to view orders in both locations, or as Ryanwanner suggested you could look into using Square's Online Store, which does have a remote printing feature. 

If I find any other workarounds I'll let you know! 

Message 5 of 8
DrewD

Hey @katieand@Helen or anyone else on the admin team: I want to do the same thing...can it be done on through a VPN?

Message 6 of 8
Admin

I don't think so @DrewD! But @ryanwanner - correct me if I'm wrong!

Message 7 of 8
ryanwanner Super Seller

Hey @DrewD using a VPN is an interesting solution! I'm not entirely sure it would work only because my experience with VPNs are pretty limited.

Basically, the way Square works is that if the printer is listed on the same network as the terminal, you can print to it. If a remote printer attached via a VPN is "seen" as a local printer, than theoretically it would work. Strange feeling that if it does work, however, Square won't support any troubleshooting with it...

Thanks for thinking of me @Helen 

Message 8 of 8