x

Can I stay exclusively in off-line mode for a period of time?

I’m going to an event that has no service this weekend. In the past, if I have not had service, the reader will try to connect, sometimes for several minutes. Instead of this, I would like to be able to run a credit card offline in one swipe if service is not available.  I do understand that I would be running the risk of running bad credit cards. Yes Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks 

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

If you put your device in Airplane mode, it will force you into Offline mode.  Or you can manually turn off both your Wifi and cellular services.

Judy T Shumway

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

If you put your device in Airplane mode, it will force you into Offline mode.  Or you can manually turn off both your Wifi and cellular services.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 9

Yes!! So smart, Glassdale. Thank you!

Message 3 of 9

Hello again! As there was no service at the event, I turned my phone in airplane mode and tried to run cards. I also disconnected from wireless network. It said it was offline, and it completely didn’t work, surprisingly!

Message 4 of 9

So to confirm, GlassJudy, this didn't work for you? You weren't able to use square in airplane mode (offline)? I was thinking of doing this for an event coming up. Want to confirm this isn't a liable option then. Thank you in advance for your time. 

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Hi @LTH! GlassDale is right, you can use Offline Mode to take payments without internet. But keep in mind your device must connect to the internet within 72 hours so that the payments can be processed. You can read more aboutOffline Mode in the Square Support Center.

If you have any other quesitons reply here! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 9

Thank you!

Message 7 of 9

My reader is not accepting any cards in offline mode. Do you get to do that with different subscriptions or what am I doing wrong?

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

@Juicegirl If you're trying to accept chip payments in offline mode, that would explain why they aren't being accepted. If you mean that they are being declined, then unfortunately we cannot test the validity of the card until the app is connected to a wifi source. If possible, try using a personal hotspot to connect your register to and see if that helps!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9