x
Admin

Can I take payments over the phone with Square?

Can I take payments over the phone with Square?

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 6
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

You can definitely take payments over the phone using a feature called Virtual Terminal - no Square hardware required! With Virtual Terminal you can accept payments from your computer.

Here is how to get started with Virtual Terminal from your online Square Dashboard:

1. Go to Virtual Terminal > then click Take a Payment.
  2. You can either select Quick Charge to charge your customer a single pound amount or select Itemised Sale to add an item, modifier, discount, and tax to the sale. 
  3. Add an optional note to the sale. Note: This will be visible on the digital receipt and can help to identify the transaction.
  4. Under Payment Method, select Manually Enter Card > enter the card details provided by your customer.
  5. Click Charge.

All of the following information is required to process a card payment over the phone:

• Complete 16-digit card number
  • Expiry date
  • Security code/CVV

If any piece of information is entered incorrectly, the payment will be declined. 

You can read more about Virtual Terminal fees in our Support Centre and how to verify payment information here

If you are collecting payments remotely, you can also send an invoice or share a checkout link to your customer. 

Let us know if you have any questions below!

Tra

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Best Answer

You can definitely take payments over the phone using a feature called Virtual Terminal - no Square hardware required! With Virtual Terminal you can accept payments from your computer.

Here is how to get started with Virtual Terminal from your online Square Dashboard:

1. Go to Virtual Terminal > then click Take a Payment.
  2. You can either select Quick Charge to charge your customer a single pound amount or select Itemised Sale to add an item, modifier, discount, and tax to the sale. 
  3. Add an optional note to the sale. Note: This will be visible on the digital receipt and can help to identify the transaction.
  4. Under Payment Method, select Manually Enter Card > enter the card details provided by your customer.
  5. Click Charge.

All of the following information is required to process a card payment over the phone:

• Complete 16-digit card number
  • Expiry date
  • Security code/CVV

If any piece of information is entered incorrectly, the payment will be declined. 

You can read more about Virtual Terminal fees in our Support Centre and how to verify payment information here

If you are collecting payments remotely, you can also send an invoice or share a checkout link to your customer. 

Let us know if you have any questions below!

Tra
Message 2 of 6

Hi tranguyen,

Thanks for the helpful answer. I can take payments over the phone and use the Itemised Sale option.

But I cannot see any way to make this create a new order in the system. Can that be done?

regards

Alec

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hi @alecfearon, thanks for your post! Are you looking to create orders so they would be similar to how orders are processed through your website or is it something different? 

Tra
Message 4 of 6

Hi @tranguyen,

Yes, I want an order taken by one of my team over the phone to be processed in the same way as an order placed online by the customer. That is, to appear in the list of orders and go through the status updates to completion.

I suppose I could key in the order myself while taking instructions from the customer by phone. That might confuse the cookies ...

Alec

Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

Hi @alecfearon I think this might work:

In the POS app, select a customer or create a new one then choose ‘New Sale’ and go through the process of adding items and charging.

In the Dashboard, a similar process but select Take payment.

I’m sure others will correct me if that is not the case.

Good luck, Tony

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 6 of 6