x

Can I transfer ownership of my square account and POS system?

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “?”.

I'm selling my business including my square account and pos system. Is it just a matter of switching bank accounts and name?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Alumni

Hi Antonia - Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, Square accounts cannot be transferred as they are tied to the SSN of the original account owner. The new business owner will need to open a new account in order to use it.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 11

When selling a business, if you can't transfer the Square account to the new owner, is there a way to download the item inventory so that a new owner can set it up more easily when buying an existing Square business?

Message 3 of 11

I can see that I can download the inventory.  Better yet, can it be seamlessly transferred to the new owner's account without downloading and reuploading?

Message 4 of 11

Hello @info4, currently the new owner will have to import the CSV file into their library. It's just as simple as the steps to download the Item Library. 🙂

Message 5 of 11

I need to change the owner of the account. Our COO set up the account in his name and has since resigned and changed jobs. How can we change this to reflect ownership? And what are the legal ramifications of having him listed as owner of our Square account?

Message 6 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey @CaroHM,

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller had the same question.

@puka answered this above and there's also this Support Center article you can reference about this as well. 

You'll definitely want to make a new account since your existing one is tied to their SSN/personal information.

If there's ever a security concern we would need to speak with whoever's name is listed as the account holder so it'd be best to make a new account. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 11

Trying to give the owner of the shop permissions so I can then transfer the Squareup website ownership to her. When she tries to register as an admin it says email already in use. Any suggestions?

Message 8 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey @terri0414.

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller had the same question.

@puka answered this above and there's also this Support Center article you can reference about this as well. 

You'll definitely want to make a new account since your existing one is tied to their SSN/personal information.

If there's ever a security concern we would need to speak with whoever's name is listed as the account holder so it'd be best to make a new account. 

Ashley C
Message 9 of 11

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Name on account/legal name

We have an account that was created by the person who is no longer with us. I'll have to cancel this account and create a new one. The question is:

Can the name on account/legal name be the organization instead of a person?

SohailQ

Message 10 of 11
Alumni

Thanks for writing in @SohailQ.

The full name and SSN of an individual is required to activate a Square account. The organization itself cannot be put in place instead.

We recommend an admin or trusted individual who has longevity at your organization activate the account in their name on behalf of the biz. 

Justin
Message 11 of 11