x
Beta Member

Can I use Square Terminal as a receipt printer with Square Stand?

Here's some background....we've been using a Square Terminal solely for processing credit card sales, since we already had as POS system (non-Square). We are now looking at using Square for POS as well.

Our current POS vendor (Epos Now) supplied a receipt printer/cash drawer, but I suspect the printer is not compatible with Square, if I am to believe the popup message that appeared when I plugged it into Square Stand. I then purchased a compatible USB printer (Star Micronics TCS143IIIU), but spent way too much time trying to figure out how to get it to print receipts for me....and couldn't get someone from Tech Support (they kept bouncing me back and forth from phone to chat without putting a real person on it.)

Anyway, it occurred to me that since Terminal has an integrated printer, perhaps we could use that to print our customer sales receipts, and then just get a USB cash drawer to replace our printer-driven drawer. The cash drawer is less expensive than the printer, so no problem there.

Is this possible, and if so, where can I find out how to set that up?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Sorry, all!!

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong....I was in the wrong menu, which is why I was unable to create a print station. Once I figured that out, I now see an option to print the receipt. Now I just have to test it with the cash drawer we already have.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

@Syost I am sure the TSP143IIIU is compatible with the square stand.  The usb printer plugs into the USB hub and you should be able to set that up without any problem.  The best way to use the square terminal with the stand is to use it as a "connected terminal" and then you send the credit card sale to the terminal and the customer can complete the transaction on the terminal and choose to print a receipt.

I personally prefer the printer driven drawer to the USB one.  As far as a epos printer, it might or might not work, as many of the older printers use some universal esc commands to execute receipts.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Thanks, @Donnie-M! That's what I thought, too. I'm fine with keeping the printer if I can get someone help me to configure it properly.

Here's some new info, though. As I said, I purchased the TSP143IIIU printer on Amazon, but now looking at the front of the printer, it has TSP100III printed there. The label on the bottom has both model numbers printed on it. (see photo).

IMG_2097.jpgSo.....I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong printer, since the TSP100 is not listed as a printer compatible with Square Stand.

Other reason for wondering this is that I actually downloaded the Start Micronics set up app, and it finds the receipt printer as a TSP100.

Still, it would be sweet to use the Terminal to print receipts. Would save the expense of purchasing a receipt printer. (A USB cash drawer is less expensive than the printer....)

Message 3 of 6
Beta Member

@Donnie-M, I also wanted to address your reply more directly. When I plug the printer into the Hub, the status indicator shows the printer is connected, but when I when I do a checkout, I do not see an option to print the receipt; only options for text, email or no receipt, and in the Square settings, next to the printer name, an indicator that says "not configured". I cannot find any information about where to go from there. I even tried using the star micronics set-up app to look at settings, but as far as I can see, it should work. (There was one setting that it said should be disabled when using with iOS, but disabling this had no effect.) 

Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

Best Answer

Sorry, all!!

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong....I was in the wrong menu, which is why I was unable to create a print station. Once I figured that out, I now see an option to print the receipt. Now I just have to test it with the cash drawer we already have.

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

@Syost Awesome, I was about to come and go through the list to find it, but I am super happy you found the create printer station and I am happy you came on the forums and asked for help!!!

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 6 of 6