x

Square Terminal: Can I connect Square Terminal to an iPad?

I have a mobile coffee truck. We use an ipad with the square reader. We ring items up, run customers card, hold Ipad while they complete transaction to add tip and sign. I am so afraid that either I or a customer will drop the ipad, so I purchased the square terminal and stand to leave on counter outside when we are open. I want to still ring items up on ipad inside truck and let customer run card and complete transaction from outside. How do I get the square terminal to connect with the ipad so that they are seeing the same thing? I have the account on the terminal, but when I ring up from ipad, nothing goes to terminal. Any help would be appreciated! TIA!

Message 1 of 14
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: connect terminal to ipad

unfortunately, what you are trying to doesn't work like that.  The Square Terminal is a stand-alone replacement for an iPad not to be used in conjunction with an iPad.

you could use open tickets to save a ticket on the iPad and open it on the Terminal, but it isn't automatic and would require you interacting with the terminal.

the Square Register does have a customer facing display that the customer swipes/dips their own card and signs on.

13 REPLIES 13
Super Seller

unfortunately, what you are trying to doesn't work like that.  The Square Terminal is a stand-alone replacement for an iPad not to be used in conjunction with an iPad.

you could use open tickets to save a ticket on the iPad and open it on the Terminal, but it isn't automatic and would require you interacting with the terminal.

the Square Register does have a customer facing display that the customer swipes/dips their own card and signs on.

Message 2 of 14

I called in and ask that same question before I purchased the terminal and they said yes, you would see it on each one at the same time.  Grrr...I guess I will be sending it back.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 14

Hello!

I have a cafe where I would like order tickets to print in the kitchen and my front of house to use a square stand to take the orders. I happen to have a Square Terminal so before purchasing another printer for this, I wanted to see if I could just use the Square Terminal as my printer for order tickets only. Is this possible? Even I kept my terminal up front near the stand, that is fine but I only want to use the terminal as a printer and connect it to my stand. 

Thank you in advance!

Message 4 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @bts9888

Thank you for reaching out about utilizing your Square hardware together! Unfortunately,  you cannot directly use the Terminal as a printer for your stand. There is a workaround of sorts to use Open Tickets with both devices. You would save the ticket on the Stand, then pull it up on the Terminal to close out. This would let the receipt print on the Terminal. 

I know it isn't ideal , but that is the closest we have to what you are looking for. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 14
Beta Member

Is the opposite possible?  During these covid days of gradual reopening I want to use my Square Terminal outside to take orders but have them print to the printer connected to my square stand (it's a standard square stand hardware kid with printer, cash drawer) --- edit: sorry I'll open a new thread, didn't mean to hijack a different thread.

Message 6 of 14

Hi there again, @IceCreamStan! Thanks for chiming in here with your inquiry.

At this time, it is not possible have orders placed through the Terminal print on a printer connected to the Square Stand. Our Product Teams are, however, working towards expanding the abilities of both printing on the Terminal and Stand. Should this come down the pipeline, we will be sure to let you know here.

Cheers!

Joe
Message 7 of 14
Beta Member

Thanks for your reply!

Is there another option for how to have the unit print customer receipts outside the shop but print orders for preparation inside the shop?

Would this solely be a kitchen printer?  Or a wireless printer?  

Message 8 of 14

Hi there, @IceCreamStan - yes, you are spot on! Using an Ethernet Kitchen printer might be your best option for remote printing. We have seen the most success with this setup. 

Joe
Message 9 of 14

I am hoping to use Square for my cafe (switching from an expensive, but very customizable option).  Because of covid issues, I would like to have my staff take/input the orders into an iPad POS "Cash Register" but then have the customers use a Terminal (too many need PINs to use the tap option only) to pay.  If I use a Hub, will the Terminal pick up the transaction amount and allow the customer to complete and get a receipt if wanted?  Basically, I am trying to avoid having staff touching the Terminal to input the amount (except to wipe off) and avoid customers having to touch the iPad to input a PIN.  If this can be done, it avoids a lot of plexiglass cutting.  I can't seem to find this answer anywhere.

Message 10 of 14

Hey @Fernwood,

I moved your post to a relevant thread where another seller was asking about using the Stand and Terminal together.

With them both being standalone POS systems there really isn't a smooth way to make them run together the way you're looking to do here. The iPad can't communicate directly with the Terminal to print off of. 

@isabelle provided some information about with using Open Tickets but I'm not sure if that'll work exactly how you're wanting it to here. 

Ashley C
Message 11 of 14

I am using the app on a tablet and a square terminal so that I can print receipts.  Is there a way to enter the charge on the app and tablet and have the square terminal linked to it automatically?

Message 12 of 14

Hi, just wanted to ask if I could connect my square terminal to my square stand? For the square terminal has lower transaction fees compared to the small reader.. I have both but want to intergrate the square terminal to my square stand.. I’ve tried connecting the terminal via USB but doesn’t show or connect.. thanks

Message 13 of 14

Hi @Takeabao I've merged your post to an existing thread. This is a feature request as the Square Terminal is meant to be a standalone device. Let me know if you have any other questions and welcome to the Seller Community!!

AshleyK
Message 14 of 14