x

Can I use Square on a laptop or computer instead of a moblie device?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can I use Square on my laptop instead of a moblie device?

Hi - I am trying to find out the answer to a question below:

Can I use Square on my laptop instead of a mobile device and plug the reader into the microphone? If so, how do I download the app on my laptop? It is not an Apple product.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 133
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi everyone!

Big update for 2021: You can now use a connected Square Terminal with Virtual Terminal! Once you have Square Terminal, you can use it to turn your Mac or Windows PC into an all-in-one POS solution.

For additional information, check out our Square Terminal with Virtual Terminal product update.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform

View Best Answer >

Message 119 of 133
132 REPLIES 132
Square

@MudholeSmith - Check out this thread for more details on this topic. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 22 of 133

Just bought a new hp desk top all in one. 

Message 23 of 133
Square

Hi @Mamie — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out this thread for more details. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 24 of 133

I really wish that Square register was available on a laptop, or PC. My laptop has a touch screen and the battery life is much better than my iPad. When will Square offer an update that is compatible??

Message 25 of 133
Admin

A quick update to this thread: You can now connect a magstripe reader to an Apple computer or Chromebook to accept payments with Virtual Terminal!

This Product Update post has more information: Swipe In-Person Payments from your Computer🎉

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 26 of 133

Can I use square on my desktop computer connected to my point of sale terminal?

Message 27 of 133

Is it possible to make a deposit online without using my phone?

Message 28 of 133
Square Community Moderator

@BillFreeman @Sergio Here's a thread with similar questions. You can send invoices via email to your customers that they can pay, but taking payments can only be done via the Square Register app on a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet. 

Message 29 of 133

I want to be able to process transactions by entering credit card information on my laptop.  How do I activate my account to process transactions through my laptop?

Message 30 of 133

I don't want to use my phone.  I want to process using my laptop.

Message 31 of 133

How can I do an online credit card payment? He gave me hiscredit card information and I need to get paid. Please call me if you have any questions [personal information redacted].

Message 32 of 133

I need to know if there is a way to use my laptop macbook with the square.

Message 33 of 133
Super Seller

No, Square only works on mobile devices like iphones and ipads.  you can log into square on a computer and use the dashboard to setup items and look at sales and stats.

Message 34 of 133
Super Seller

You can use the Square Dashboard online in a browser to accept cards in "Virtual Terminal".  It's not as robust as using the Square POS app but it will get the job done for accepting payments. Currently, Square's readers are not compatible with computers. 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5807-virtual-terminal

Message 35 of 133
Square

@VanKalkerFarms - Thanks for helping out with this one! 

@naplesportraits - Kudos on your first post! We're happy to have you in the community. 👐🏻  Just as a follow up, our Square Readers won't work with a desktop or laptop computer, but this is a popular feature request we hear. You can use our reader with most Android and iOS devices though. Also, since VanKalkerFarm's response answered your question, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? It will help the community find the same question more easily. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 36 of 133

So if its a popular request from 2016 where is the card reader for pc.

Message 37 of 133
Alumni

Hi @Monsoon - This feature is currently available for Apple computers and Chromebooks with the magstripe reader. You can learn more at Virtual Terminal: Swipe In-Person Payments From Your Computer. No PC compatibility at this time, but we'll update this thread if that changes in the future.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 38 of 133

I love how my critic of this issue was removed. Pretty shady.

Message 39 of 133
Alumni

I'm not sure what you mean. Your initial comment that I responded to wasn't moved and is still listed above. If there was another post you're referring to, it doesn't look like we received it.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 40 of 133

Thanks so much.  This will help immensely.  Most of our customers pay over the phone or we use the card they have file with us.  So I knew a reader wouldn't help.  Have a great holiday season!

Message 41 of 133

How long does it take to get free square reader sent to you?

Message 42 of 133