x

Can I use Square on a laptop or computer instead of a moblie device?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can I use Square on my laptop instead of a moblie device?

Hi - I am trying to find out the answer to a question below:

Can I use Square on my laptop instead of a mobile device and plug the reader into the microphone? If so, how do I download the app on my laptop? It is not an Apple product.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 133
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi everyone!

Big update for 2021: You can now use a connected Square Terminal with Virtual Terminal! Once you have Square Terminal, you can use it to turn your Mac or Windows PC into an all-in-one POS solution.

For additional information, check out our Square Terminal with Virtual Terminal product update.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform

View Best Answer >

Message 119 of 133
132 REPLIES 132

I Don't understand why it is all about android and tablets. They suck for trying to sell things. screens are way to small and its an expense if we need to purchase. 

Why can't square at least let us know about intent

Message 64 of 133

I agree with you. How can Square continue to alienated a large segment of the business community. I don't understand how hard it is to use a reader on a computer when all the hard work is done producing the virtual terminal. I am already looking for a better way to get it down on my existing hardware without paying Apple's exorbitant and over-inflated prices. There are a couple of ways to get this done and not pay out more than I already pay to Square. Square could be a 5 star company if not for the way they are giving small businesses the cold shoulder. Just sad.

Message 65 of 133
Admin

Hey @gmercer-

Thanks for resurfacing this issue.

Just so I understand exactly what you're looking for out of the Square reader/computer compatibility, are you looking for the Magstripe Reader to be compatible with more than an Apple or Chromebook computer using Safari or Chrome? Or are you inferring about the feature to have more readers, such as the Contactless + Chip Reader, to be compatible with computers? 

We want to hear from our sellers what they have in mind for the future of Square reader and computer compatibility, so please feel free to reply with a bit more detail on what you're imagining beyond the option to swipe a card using a Square Reader for Magstripe with Virtual Terminal on a compatible Apple or Chromebook computer using Safari or Chrome.

Thanks again for your input, and I look forward to hearing from you. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 66 of 133

I found this thread trying to figure out how to connect my reader to my laptop.  I run a small business and paid extra for the contactless + chip reader not realizing that it (or the magstrip reader) couldn't be connected to my PC laptop.  That makes this entire system very cumbersome for us.  I have to either create my invoice on my phone after working with the customer on my laptop so they can use the reader or I have to manually enter the credit card on the PC.  

The simplest thing for me (and how I expected this to work) would be to pair the reader to my PC (or connect to it via the USB) so I can create the invoice on my laptop and let the customer use the reader to pay. 

The 2 options I have are time consuming and frustrating.   

I'm VERY disappointed by how this system works for my business, especially since I paid extra for a device I basically can't use.

Message 67 of 133
Square Community Moderator

Hey @CoGoTax and welcome to the Community.

We're sorry the Contactless + Chip reader isn't yet compatible with laptops/computers.

For now you would need to use it with your phone but I'm happy to pass your feedback along.

We did make the free magstripe reader compatible with laptops recently so maybe the chip card reader compatibility is something to come in the future.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 68 of 133

Using it on a phone isn't an option in a busy professional office.  I work with my clients and at the end of the appointment have to pull out my phone, which is very unprofessional and causes concerns for the clients who see their financial information being run through a personal phone.  It's worse for my business partners because they would have to interrupt me while I'm with my clients, which is utterly unacceptable for privacy reasons.  

So, our only option is to manually enter payments on the website, which results in higher fees for us.  The lack of functionality with laptops, which wasn't made clear, is frustrating.  It is even more disappointing to be financially punished as a result.  

Message 69 of 133
Admin

@CoGoTax I'm sorry if this wasn't made clear to you. Another option to make your space look more professional would be to pair the Contactless + Chip reader with an iPad. It gives it more of a clean look and the screen is easier to read for both you and your customers.

Apologies for any confusion.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 70 of 133

For the price of another dedicated device in addition to the price paid for the contactless reader (or paying the extra gotcha fees for manual entry of a "card not present"), renting the bank terminal would have been the cheaper and easier option for our small start up at this point.  

It was mentioned the magstripe should now be compatible with pc laptops.  Will the magstripe reader read a chip card when attached to the pc?  I cannot find any information on how to use the magstripe with a pc (and every article I find says that this is not possible).  How is the magstripe used with a pc laptop?

Message 71 of 133
Admin

Hey @CoGoTax-

Thanks for your reply.

To use the Magstripe Reader with your computer, it will have to be an Apple or Chromebook computer using the browsers Safari or Chrome.

You can read more on how to do this, here. Let me know if you have any questions about this! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 72 of 133

it seems like everyone is asking when will the square readers be compatible with a windows computer I know the magstripe can be used on MAC or Chromebook what will it take to be compatible on a Windows Machine?

Message 73 of 133

So, I can plug the magstrip reader into my computer and swipe the card? is there an extension available, so the reader can be placed closer to the customer and let them swipe it themselves?

Message 74 of 133

Hey @Jlswanson.

Hope you're having a great day! It would be awsome to have an extension for the reader given the times we are living in. However, at this time Square does not offer an extension for the Magstripe reader that can be used with your computer via Virtual Transactions.

Sorry for the inconvenience. If anything changes in the near feature we will make sure to update you on here. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 75 of 133

I just bought a computer, to do retail in my salon, and now I find out that square is not compatible? I know I can do it virtually but the fees are much higher!

Please fix this, it's 2020!!

Message 76 of 133

Hi there, @jomarie - thanks for reaching out and adding your voice in support of this feature. While we don't have a shareable timeline for desktop based increased functionality for payments, we will continue to update this thread here as we have more to share.

Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Message 77 of 133

The contactless/chip reader paired with a PC laptop would be ideal for what I'm using it for.  I already use one at market with my phone but having one in the farm store paired with a laptop would perfect since there would be multiple checkout people.

Message 78 of 133

Welcome, @reintsv

Thank you for your feedback on utilizing the Contactless + Chip Reader with your laptop to take payments. I can see how that would come in handy with your business set-up. 

Since this isn't available, it would be considered a Feature Request for our Product Team. If you have moment, could post this to our Ideate Board so our Product Team can review. 

Appreciate your time for posting!

Kassi
Message 79 of 133

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there a way to use my square reader with my computer?

i have a square stand that we use primarily.  I have an extra card reader and cash drawer and receipt printer that are hooked to my computer.  I was hoping there was a way to use them on the occasion that we get really busy and need an additional terminal.

Message 80 of 133

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How can I use my computer with a square reader

Instead of my phone can I use my 2 in 1 laptop to use the card reader

Message 81 of 133

Hi @flourchild20!

Here's an article from our Support Center on how you can use the magstripe reader with Chromebooks or Apple computers!

Note: The chip reader and any other laptops or computers still aren't supported at this time. 

Ashley C
Message 82 of 133
Super Seller

The Square POS app does not work on a computer and the Square swiper doesn't work on a computer either.  You can run credit cards manually when logged into your Square Dashboard.  

Read more about virtual terminal here.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5807-virtual-terminal

Message 83 of 133
Beta Member

Sure you can. You have to use an android emulator like blue stacks. Then you can download the POS app and use your PC just like your phone. But unless you have a touch screen or a digital signature pad your customer can't sign.

Message 84 of 133